Archinect
anchor

UMN or Tulane?

musharrat.s

Hey guys, for Fall 2014 I've been accepted in the MS for Sustainable Design in UMN & they've offered me a 25% TAship for one semester. I had also contacted with a professor about RAship is CSBR (Center for Sustainable Building Research). He hasn't promised me anything but told there might be positions open in the next semester.

In Tulane, they've proposed me 1.5-years curriculum for M.Arch instead of 2-years as I have a 5-years B.Arch in my country. Seems like there is no arrangement of waiving the tuition in Tulane and it's pretty expensive! They've offered me 30k per year that reduces my tuition fee to 16k (it's almost 46k a year!), another 15k for the next semester that leaves 8k for me and a RAship in Tulane Regional Urban Design Center which has no additional financial assistance. Adding up another 10k for living cost for 18 months in New Orleans, the total cost is 34k which is affordable for me.

I'm pretty much drawn to the community outreach program of TSA and the vibrant city of NOLA but UMN is a very good school too with less financial burden. Would you guys suggest me if taking the shot to NOLA would be worth it?

Thanks in advance!

Mar 10, 14 9:51 am
U.u.

Hi, first off, congrats on the acceptances! I'm currently deciding between grad programs as well (M.Arch I).

Although I myself have not attended UMN, I'm connected to a few professors and students there--actually I'm a long-time resident of the metro area and have been working here as a freelance designer / architectural instructor for high school students for about two years now.  Knowing very little about the specifics of the MS program, I can still give you a general overview of the school.

A UMN professor who I have gotten to know over the past year talked to me just last week me about how the school is taking many steps right now to raise the level of the pedagogy. They've hired a good number of young, talented and very caring people (instructors and staff) who are interested in bridging the gap between academic training and design in the real world through more collaborative efforts with Minnesota-based companies/firms, design-build and community outreach opportunities. The curriculum for each degree has been in flux in recent years, but I take it as a sign of a the faculty willing to listen to the times and daring to make changes. It could be fruitful to go to a school where there is a buzz of activity and this sense of urgency/change.

The school itself actually has decent facilities and Minneapolis in general is a great city to launch into a career. Based on my experience working at a local arts non-profit here, the design community seems to be tight-knit but supportive and maintains good ties with planning authorities, city officials, etc. to get stuff done.

On the other hand, based on my interaction with the chair of admissions last year at a college fair, Tulane seems to also present a really supportive atmosphere for meaningful community-based work. Situated in a complex region facing several extremes in climate and socio-political issues, the school is just as much in a state of urgency/change.

Just my two cents for now... Best of luck in deciding!

Mar 10, 14 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Have you visited either city and university campus?

Mar 10, 14 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
musharrat.s

Thank you both for the reply & U.u good luck on your grad school hunt, or have you already been accepted somewhere?

Well I'm from Bangladesh and no, I haven't been to any of the campuses or to USA :) Whatever I have come to know about these two universities is through internet. And both of them seem to be the best in their respective state with lots of activities going on, both are responding to the growing needs of the community, both offer good opportunity in the professional field.

Right now as an international student, my biggest concern is funding. Even though TSA is more expensive, my warm-blooded & francophile nature keeps drawing me to Louisiana and its jazz, music, food, weather, antebellum architecture etc. Now my precise question is, will taking the shot of going there instead of UMN be worth it? 

I hope this doesn't sound like a silly question :)

Mar 12, 14 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
ltdinthecle

@musharrat.s

I've never been to Minnesota or UMN so I can't comment on the city or the validity of the program; however, I did attend Tulane for the undergrad 5 year B.Arch + M.Arch program

Tulane is super outreach oriented their mantra is: "let's bring contemporary design to NOLA and re-build communities." The design studios often have sites based in NOLA with real construction plans: check out Grow Dat Youth Farm lots of my friends worked on it 

http://www.tulanecitycenter.org/programs/projects/grow-dat-youth-farm 

The faculty will often have side projects that provide good internship experience, summer work, community development as well as portfolio booster. 

Another reason I loved Tulane was the type of student: smart, laid-back, and able to work in groups. Yes TSA does have some super aggressive "I'm the next Rem Koolhaas" type students but they are rare. The student body is incredibly diverse when I was there students were from China, Thailand, couple of countries in South America, as well as the US - New York, DC, Los Angeles, the Midwest. 

Since you have an interest in jazz NOLA is the right place for you because it's so music oriented. I even took an awesome class called Architecture + Music with a professor named Milton who went to TSA in the 1950s. He was awesome. No only is there JazzFest, but also Mardi Gras, Mid-summer Mardi Gras, Voodoo Fest, White linen night, etc you get the point. You can see live jazz music any night of the week and go out till sunrise in NOLA. Most of your classmates will not be from NOLA so they'll be super excited to explore the city with you.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any more questions about Tulane/NOLA. 

Mar 14, 14 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
musharrat.s

@ltdinthecle ,

Thanks a looot for your reply! I have been actually networking with different Tulane students; from Architecture, Chemical Eng. and Business, people who went there from my country and other countries too. And all I keep hearing about Tulane and NOLA is nothing but positive :D The Project Assistant Tabitha Penton, Graduate Coordinator Doug Harmon and specially the dean Kenneth Schwartz.-they all have been so helpful from the very beginning that I can almost start feeling the warmth I'm going to get there.  

I'm mostly concerned about the money business though. I'll be working 8hrs a week at TUDC with Prof. Mouton. I don't know about your financial background, but how did you manage the tuition and etc? 

Mar 26, 14 2:48 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: