Archinect
anchor

Intel Iris Pro Graphics for 3D modeling

eht908907

Does anyone have experience with running 3D modeling software- specifically Rhino or Maya- on a laptop with Intel Iris Pro 5200 Graphics? I'm looking at the Macbook Pro 15.4 inch retina and hope to use rhino and maya for moderately heavy 3D modeling, though I wouldn't need to necessarily run many programs at once. I am a student and our school provides  very sufficient workstations, and given that I'm a student I'm trying to keep price down.  Would the Iris Pro work for me or is it really work an nvidia dedicated graphics card?

Thanks!

Mar 8, 14 3:31 pm
24arches

Keeping costs down, you could get something like a W530 or Dell Precision for around $1200 now and they come with a top-tier workstation card. I don't particularly like the 5200, mainly because it's a rev.A product and Broadwell this year should improve on it.

Moderate workload, not moderately heavy. Intel's software/drivers are pretty bad at standards and even though Apple works with them, the hardware just doesn't have things like CUDA or great OpenGL/CL/GPU acceleration support for others to incorporate into. Foundation is there but they don't pump enough money to get it working right.

At retail, not worth it; at $1700 refurbished for the dual-graphics model, sure. If I was in your situation, I'd settle on a smaller, lighter machine and pocket the money for other things. 

Mar 8, 14 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

"given that I'm a student I'm trying to keep price down" .... and you're looking at a Mac?

Sorry, sorry back to your question...

GPUs are not the key component for efficient 3d modeling. But, you'll be fine.

I prefer the dedicated cards but the nice thing about integrated graphics is the huge reduction in power consumption, 1/3 that of the previous nvidia generation.

Mar 8, 14 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
24arches

Found a chart for Maya. Ahead of the HD4600 by 22% and trails a K1000M 101%, the base option for a workstation machine last year.

Mar 8, 14 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
eht908907

Very helpful, thank you all!

Mar 8, 14 10:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: