Archinect
anchor

Intel Iris Pro Graphics for 3D modeling

Mar 8 '14 4 Last Comment
eht908907
Mar 8, 14 3:31 pm

Does anyone have experience with running 3D modeling software- specifically Rhino or Maya- on a laptop with Intel Iris Pro 5200 Graphics? I'm looking at the Macbook Pro 15.4 inch retina and hope to use rhino and maya for moderately heavy 3D modeling, though I wouldn't need to necessarily run many programs at once. I am a student and our school provides  very sufficient workstations, and given that I'm a student I'm trying to keep price down.  Would the Iris Pro work for me or is it really work an nvidia dedicated graphics card?

Thanks!

24arches
Mar 8, 14 5:15 pm

Keeping costs down, you could get something like a W530 or Dell Precision for around $1200 now and they come with a top-tier workstation card. I don't particularly like the 5200, mainly because it's a rev.A product and Broadwell this year should improve on it.

Moderate workload, not moderately heavy. Intel's software/drivers are pretty bad at standards and even though Apple works with them, the hardware just doesn't have things like CUDA or great OpenGL/CL/GPU acceleration support for others to incorporate into. Foundation is there but they don't pump enough money to get it working right.

At retail, not worth it; at $1700 refurbished for the dual-graphics model, sure. If I was in your situation, I'd settle on a smaller, lighter machine and pocket the money for other things. 

LITS4FormZ
Mar 8, 14 5:26 pm

"given that I'm a student I'm trying to keep price down" .... and you're looking at a Mac?

Sorry, sorry back to your question...

GPUs are not the key component for efficient 3d modeling. But, you'll be fine.

I prefer the dedicated cards but the nice thing about integrated graphics is the huge reduction in power consumption, 1/3 that of the previous nvidia generation.

24arches
Mar 8, 14 5:34 pm

Found a chart for Maya. Ahead of the HD4600 by 22% and trails a K1000M 101%, the base option for a workstation machine last year.

eht908907
Mar 8, 14 10:30 pm

Very helpful, thank you all!

• ×Search in:

Please wait... loading
Please wait... loading