Archinect
anchor

Too hard to write a "personal" MArch statement of purpose,HELP!

It's really hard to write a UNIQUE statement of purpose without a series of prize-winning project...I'm trying to explain the connection between my school work and my experience in the symphony orchestra, but it's hard to find a example online about how to explain such things properly. I do know that these professional experience help me a lot during my design process, drawing concept or something, but such connection is hard to explain without my portfolio. All the examples I have found online are a statement of what they have done to be a better architect, but beside such CV-like stories, I really want to make it different, with my unique(ok, not THAT unique)experience.If anyone would like to share a example of statement of purpose with similar experience, it would be fantastic!

Mar 7, 14 3:14 am
randomized

You want to write a unique statement but want to find online examples that exactly explain how you personally benefit as an architect from your own personal musical background? Good luck with that!

Mar 7, 14 5:26 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Wow...

This request is worse than the "anybody have a 3D-CAD of X city, my project is due tomorrow" treads.

This is a good place to start for free online statements:

http://www.artybollocks.com/#abg_full

Mar 7, 14 8:24 am  · 
 · 

@randomized

Well, it's just hard to find a online statement sample that represent their own , let's say design theory......Most of them are about the skills and trophies, so I'm wondering if writing a statement of a personal experience in architecture learning and some techniques I developed with a different background is really a bad idea...

Mar 20, 14 6:00 am  · 
 · 

@Non Sequitur 

Thank you for your suggestions!

I actually write several versions of my statement and read hundreds, but since nobody around me could help me with this, it's really hard to evaluate my own statement. These things I wrote are powerful enough for myself, but I'm afraid that when things get personal, others could not understand them. I guess what I really need is a STANDARD statement, and I could try my best to do better......

Mar 20, 14 6:09 am  · 
 · 
juxian

Try thinking about it this way:

The statement is not about you, but about the discipline/profession. You are writing to let the audience understand what you think this profession is, how to think it should be, and through what means you'll get there. Especially if you are applying to M.Arch II programs, I think it's rather crucial that you make a case for your position. Upon this base work, your experiences/stories will just naturally blend in to your argument. And it is through the connection between your experience/portfolio and your argument that the committee sees from you the passion, potential, ambition, and capabilities.

My personal view on these types of essays is that: no one wants to hear a story (unless it's a really fantastic one) - they want to hear an argument. And in this case, the supporting materials for the argument is the stories + portfolios.

Mar 20, 14 2:50 pm  · 
 · 

@juxian

Thank you!

So the point is to state the connection between my experience with my project and my thinking of architecture design? It's exactly what I'm working on these days. Actually I do have several projects based on the study of rhythm and melody, and I'm pretty sure that such design could only be made with a professional music backgroun. Could these projects be the highlight in my statement and portfolio?

Mar 20, 14 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

"If its too hard it's ok to quit"

-Homer Simpson

Mar 20, 14 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
juxian

Music certainly sounds interesting. But remember, you don't explicitly express your passion. Instead, you make a case for it, write about why that's relevant in architectural design. For a successful argument about that, I think neither demonstrating a professional music background nor writing about personal enthusiasm for music would suffice. In fact, you need really in-depth and reasonable analysis of architecture - tell them why you think the contemporary architectural discourse or practice needs musical expertise/influence, and how you think architect can get there. You don't have to write about the project - you tell them about the thinking that makes it, and its potential for further research. In the end, there is no "highlight" in your statement, because you are not just laying out the collection of projects/thoughts/stories. You are presenting a cohesive argument.

Hope my personal understanding of PS helps with your process. :) 

Mar 21, 14 12:45 pm  · 
 · 

@juxian

Thank you so much for your fantastic advice!!!

Now I know I'm on the track, so it's just a matter of time to arrange my experience and thoughts!!Thank you thank you thank you! 

Mar 21, 14 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
juxian

Buyongxie :)

Mar 21, 14 10:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: