Archinect
anchor

Deciding between architecture graduate programs, input needed!

royalstarr

I'll start with the basic question,

University of Oregon or University of Tennessee?

Duck or Volunteer? Northwest or Southeast?

I've been admitted to both schools for their 3 1/2 year grad programs, and am literally stuck between the two (i live in Texas). I'm aware that socially and geographically these schools are polar opposites, but both seem to be comparable academically. Socially, I would be completely satisfied attending either program, as I tend to take a moderate stand on most issues. Concerning geographical features, well, both areas are amazing. I'd appreciate any input, especially from those who've attended either school!

Thanks!

-Royal

Mar 3, 14 1:43 pm
C. Watts

Do you really want to wear that puke orange color for 3.5 years? I live in Kentucky and I'm personally trying to get out of the southeast for grad school (too many "southern belles").  

I've always heard that Portland is amazing and I've heard good things about the program.  If Univ. of Tennessee was in Nashville, then I think it would be a harder choice (because really, Nashville is the only good thing about Tennessee). I would never choose Knoxville over Portland, but I am obviously bias because many Kentucky fans just don't like their southern neighbors.  Of course, you should also look at cost of living and the cost of the school, etc.  I didn't apply to either program.... Follow your heart?

Mar 5, 14 9:47 am  · 
 · 
C. Watts

Well, I just looked up the location and now realize that UO is in Eugene? This is why I need to go out west, I don't know my geography!! 

Mar 5, 14 10:10 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

C.watts, Eat poo and die.

Mar 5, 14 10:26 am  · 
 · 
Dima Srouji

I'm a yale student we're getting really great incomers from Tennessee. I would go there

Mar 5, 14 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
trail.runner

I just graduated from the program in Eugene, I'm originally from a big city in California. Its a great program, and I really loved all my classes and professors there. I focused on sustainable technology in the build environment, but a number of my friends had either an urban design or housing focus. And Eugene was surprisingly nice, I was expecting far less from it but it had great nightlife and you can bike everywhere, I kind of miss living there. And now I'm working for a great firm in San Francisco, because of my M.Arch from UO

Mar 19, 14 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
nycdesigns

@royalstarr, nothing against the Volunteers but I think I would look again at UO. Given that you are graduate, I would look at the Portland Program. The main campus in Eugene is roughly 2 hours drive south. That said, the PDX location has a strong focus on Sustainability, Mixed Use, Urban Design, study abroad....I could throw in a few more. Add to that the big mix of local firms who teach, have internships and mentor opportunities. In my opinion, PDX is a good location, a solid base from which you can look North to Vancouver BC, Seattle....and South all the way to CA. I don't want to sound like a sales rep, I am in the PDX program.

@ C.Watts, the UO Architecture program has it's main location in Eugene with another in Portland. A lot of incoming grads have gone to open houses at one or both and then made plans to get into the Portland program

Mar 28, 14 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
RobG

I'm confused. I have friends going Portland State which have pdx.edu email addresses. I also see that the UO Portland website is pdx.uoregon.edu. Is the UO Portland campus affiliated with Portland State or is PDX the universally accepted abbreviation for all things Portland?

www.pdx.edu = Portland State
pdx.uoregon.edu = University of Oregon, Portland Campus

Apr 18, 14 2:39 am  · 
 · 
theunicorn

PDX is the abbreviation for Portland. It comes from the airport code (used to be just PD, but then airport codes were standardized to have three letters. So they added an "X" to the end).

I don't think UO Portland is affiliated with Portland State. Portland State is a very new program. It just so happens that UO has a Portland program for students who have advanced standing in the graduate program.

Apr 21, 14 4:41 pm  · 
 · 

PDX is a urban design focused sustainability program. From my research - there's greater teaching from active professionals which is ultimately detrimental to the development of your career.

Although, if you don't plan to work in sustainability - probably not a good choice.

However if you are, I'll see you when we're both Ducks! 

Apr 24, 14 3:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: