Archinect
anchor

3d Scanning to Architecture on a budget

awaiting_deletion

You could do most of this on a $0 budget if you are in college and your roommates own an Xbox Kinect.

Thank you to Joe of Breadbox Studios and Mo of FIT and formerly Parsons 3d prototyping shops for showing me how to use the XBOX 360 Kinect as a3D scanner on Skanect software .

You can scan just about anything in 3d. (Bodies, Objects, Half Rooms, and Rooms)

The adapter for the XBOX 360 Kinect to the PC is about $10.  If you don’t own an XBOX 360 Kinect I’m sure you know someone who does and Skanect is free or $129 for full version.  The Skanect free is limited and can only export 5000 faces.

The following images are the progression of a quick afternoon project from 3D scans to final eye candy renderings.

Step 1 – Build a model and place it on a background that is contrasted with model and environment.

Physical Model for Scanning – Various colors to test scanning

Essential setup tools (Kinect, Skanect, Kolsch Beer)

Step 2 – Scan in Skanect (steady hand and recommend turntable for model)

3d Scan of Model

3d Scan of Model

Settings for Reconstructing model from Scan if Necessary

Options for cleaning up model including simplifying model to have less faces, capping holes, etc…

Options for exporting Scan to other softwares, includes PLY, STL, OBJ, VRML

Step 3 – Export Model in a format you can import with 3D modeling software - OBJ and STL can be exported to Rhino and 3dsMax.  From Rhino and 3dsMax you can export to AutoCAD (DWG, DXF) and Sketch-up (SKP).  From AutoCAD and Sketch-up you can export to Revit (RVT), recommend the Sketch-up to Revit route.

3dsMax model, Simplified Faces to 10,000 faces shown

Skectup Model, 30,000 faces from Skanect

Model imported into Revit via Sketch-up

Step 4 – In Revit turn the surfaces into Curtain Panels, Walls, and add Floors.  In Sketch-up model and paint.  In 3dsMax turn geometry into structural frameworks and make SLICEs to create floor plates.  Note: the SLICES can then be exported to AutoCAD and turned into 2D plans of scan that is now architecture.

Basic Clay model in 3dsMax

Basic Clay model in 3dsMax

Step 5 – Do some fancy stuff in the modeling software and Photoshop.

Of course it’s in a wheat field, why wouldn’t it be.

Lens Flare (Adobe Photoshop – Filter – Rendering -Lens Flare).
White background and erase all edges with soft edge eraser.

Mar 2, 14 11:39 pm
natematt

Step four and beyond had me rolling.

Mar 3, 14 12:05 am  · 
 · 
gruen
Step 1: beer

Step 3: huge profits
Mar 3, 14 12:33 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

natematt - I did my best to refrain from making this an absolute parody/satire/whatever you call that stuff they do on SNL...some of this is useful though, especially LENS FLARE.

Mar 3, 14 6:45 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

How about scanning outdoors in broad daylight, anyone?

Apr 4, 14 7:25 am  · 
 · 
anonitect

Lens flare is cool and all, but II don't think that a rendering is complete until there is a little girl holding balloons in the foreground. Fireworks are o.k., too. Balloons + fireworks = professional quality.

Apr 4, 14 9:08 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I find Autodesk 123D catch to be most useful, and much easier to set up and use. 

Apr 4, 14 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
Brusketa

For architecture it's all good if you scan an not bigger than a room. But if you need the whole building... There is no way to scan it with Kinect.

May 14, 18 9:43 am  · 
 · 
Brusketa

For scanning rooms I got a very interesting solution. An "upgrade" for my Wacom Mobile Studio Pro. A professional 3d scanning software Artec Studio. The purpose was that I have an ability to get 3d scanning results right on my tablet. I know, the quality is worse than with their 3d scanners. But it's cheaper, easier and much more portable. And for sure I cannot scan the whole building. We use lidar for such purpose.

May 24, 18 10:14 am  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Another zombie thread brought back to life...

May 24, 18 12:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: