Archinect
anchor

Denmark Work Visa Question

ryoroo

Hey,

A few weeks ago, I was offered a paid "internship" job at an architecture firm in Denmark. I'm US Citizen and I just got my M.Arch this year.

I've been putting together my visa application materials and just realized today that according to the Danish immigration website, people who have completed an architecture degree are not eligible for a work permit visa in architecture!

"If you have completed an architecture degree, you cannot use an internship as grounds for applying for a residency permit."
http://www.nyidanmark.dk/en-us/coming_to_dk/interns/interns.htm

So now I'm not sure what to do. I really want this job, and the firm doesn't seem to be able to offer me anything other than an entry-level "internship" position.

Should I just apply and hope that Danish immigration doesn't actually enforce this rule?

Alternatively, Danish immigration has a category called "Trainee" that I would be eligible for as a recent graduate. (http://www.nyidanmark.dk/en-us/coming_to_dk/work/trainees.htm) But there's not much information about this category up there, other than that it sounds harder to be approved for and may require a higher salary than I have been offered by my firm. But I could talk to my firm and see if they would apply for me as a "Trainee."

Does anyone have any insight experience with this? Thanks!

Dec 16, 09 6:06 pm

have you talked directly with the firm? i'm sure that they have experience dealing with this exact same issue.

Dec 16, 09 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i don’t think it’s legally an ‘internship’ as this means you are still in school…

when i was working abroad, the process was really easy. i didn’t apply for a visa til i was already there. that might not be desirable - you might want to check with the danish embassy.

the application process is pretty straightforward. i think you are reading too much into it.

also, the danish work for married - gift - is the german word for poison. awesome.

Dec 16, 09 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
jds87

Holz, I think there's some ambiguity about the term "intern." In the US, it does not apply only to student workers, but also often to people who have just finished school and are 'interns' at their first job out-of-school... or more broadly, an 'intern' is anyone working in architecture who hasn't gotten their license yet.

But I don't know the answer to Ryoroo's question.

Dec 16, 09 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
mguhanasjr

Don't hope that the Danish immigration doesn't enforce this rule. You'll end up getting screwed.

Why not just apply for a regular visa and figure things out after that? I've been in Denmark studying architecture for 4 months with a visa.

Just curious what firm is it? I know a few people from firms around Copenhagen I might be able to offer some help or a direct connection.

Dec 16, 09 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
harald brynlund

i live in norway. and we travel with ease to denmark through the schengen passport union within the eec/european union.

but i have to warn you. denmark have a stark rumour on immigration, they have moved in direction of tougher regulations and often we could hear sorry stories.
sure, you´ll be pretty well of by being an u.s. citizen, but when they post it that clear on the website you mentioned - be careful and at least:
- get a written statement from your firm, an invitation
- get a written statement from danish embassy in u.s. and talk with them about this issue.

also - i agree to the previous entries on the issue on how to understand the word "internship". please know, danish do not have english as their mother tongue and perhaps have used the wrong word. perhaps they want you as a trainee - and that this gives you an opening for a visa?

wish you all the best and welcome to scandinavia! :)

harald brynlund

ma. arch. student
bergen school of architecture
http://www.blog.savianueva.org/
http://www.bergenarkitektskole.no

Dec 17, 09 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
harald brynlund

Please, a further comment on my just recently posted post:

- Important to know: When or if the Danish Embassy says that you can have a visa/you should have a visa/you are eligible for a visa/e.g. - get it on paper! :)

Dec 17, 09 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
ryoroo

Thanks for the advice!

Dec 18, 09 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
someguy22

ryoroo, I am in the same situation you were in and could use some advice. What ended up happening and what did you have to do? 

Aug 17, 11 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
farougi

im pretty sure u  need to provide ur student immatriculation certifate/proof when you apply for the visa, therefore if u dont have that , ur visa likely wont get approved..

thats what the berlin danish embassy told me. :)

Aug 19, 11 11:54 am  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

in europe, there is usually a difference between a trainee and an intern. Trainee often means that you are still in school and working on your professional degree so you will have to prove that you are still enrolled in school as part of the visa application. This is typical in Europe where students take a year off to work.  Interns can be people who have recently graduated and would therefore be applying for a longer term visa with higher pay. check with your firm to see if there is such a distinction.

Aug 20, 11 6:39 am  · 
 · 
Echoho

Hi, ryoroo...I am also in a similar situation like you. What happened next?

Jun 9, 13 6:51 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: