Archinect
anchor

where interns get paid the most

zonker
Non Sequitur

so.....

what's your point? These are not architectural intern statistics. Not a fair comparison if that's what you're trying to do.

Feb 28, 14 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

just showing comparisons between different fields. 

Feb 28, 14 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
w4000

i was going to be snarky and say business/finance, but i see that was your point

Feb 28, 14 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

Draw 10,000 sketches or write a million lines of code. Both will help you hone your skills and take the same commitment and rigor. All a matter of interest, both are creative pursuits with the same end product. The compensation however is not the same. 

Feb 28, 14 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

the same level of thinking and creativity - I used to be a programmer at one time and worked in tech. When I switched to architecture, my pay went down 50% -- and stayed there.

Feb 28, 14 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
stone

Fellas -- in IT you write a million lines of code and then you sell several million copies at what, $500 a pop?

In our field, you draw 10,000 sketches (most of which are round filed) and you get one (1) large building built (maybe).

Methinks the economics of the two business models are not comparable, and therefore essentially meaningless.

Feb 28, 14 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Xenakis, in the short time you've been here, you've whined non-stop about your drop in pay. Nobody forced you to change fields. I feel your pain about this issue but it's getting tedious and predictable. 

So what's your solution?

Feb 28, 14 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

Just accept it

Mar 1, 14 1:06 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

If your plan is to accept it, then a good start would be to quit whining in every single thread you get involved with. 

Acceptance means moving on.  Let's either have a healthy discussion about wages (etc) or just move on. Please.

Mar 1, 14 10:49 am  · 
 · 
the orange menace

I wonder about a looming tech-bubble bringing some of these salaries back down to earth. That, and an increasing talent base as we adapt our educational system to meet the demands of the new economy putting businesses in a stronger position to pay/provide less.

Some of these companies just don't play by the same rules as we do in construction fields - being valued at billions of dollars and paying salaries based on this value while wrestling with how to actually monetize their company (other than getting more / new investors). I'm not complaining - it's just not apples to apples.

That said, it sucks that we're "under-paid" relative to many professions. A lot of that is, however, our own fault - or the fault of our professional organizations, at least. You can always become a software engineer or whatever. More work for the rest of us.

Mar 3, 14 1:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: