Archinect
anchor

Need your advice

eskimo457

I was laid-off at the beginning of the year and have been looking for architecture jobs for the past few months. Now, fortunately I have two job offers. 

I would like some feedback, advice, suggestions, experience reports to help me make a decision. This is time sensitive, within the next few days. Both jobs are very similar in their compensation and benefits package. Below I will list the highlights and lowlights of each firm.

Company A:

Pros

• close to where I live, 15 minute commute
  • small company, 2 1/2 employees. I've worked at a small company before so I know the benefits of being able to take ownership and responsibility for projects
  • does a lot of work in one particular field of housing that I have always been interested in but never had an opportunity to be professionally involved
  • Looking to grow the firm to 5 employees, and I would come in at a higher position.

Cons

• Use outdated software, DataCAD. There is talk about me introducing them to Revit, but I'm not too sure how plausible that is in the near future.
  • Working in a small company means more variable amounts of work coming in. The main reason I was laid-off from my old job was because we ran out of work, so I'm hesitant to work for another small company.
  • During the interview the owner did not ask me much about myself or my professional goals, just stressed how much they need someone to help them with their project load.

Company B

Pros

• A larger firm, design-build with engineers in house, so there are more opportunities to learn directly from other disciplines and I will have more resources within easy reach.
  • Do a lot more new builds, and much larger projects. My previous experience would allow me to work on certain projects they are developing now.
  • My interview went very well, felt like I was having a conversation rather than a lecture or an interrogation. 
  • Will compensate for ARE exams.
  • More stability because it's a larger firm?

Cons

• Much farther drive, ~1 hour each way. 
  • At a much larger firm I know I will need to work harder to gain more responsibility.

Wow, writing this pros and cons out was helpful in itself. 

I would still love some feedback, thank you!

C

Feb 26, 14 5:54 pm
chigurh

I would go with company A, but what the shit is dataCAD?

Feb 26, 14 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger
  • At a much larger firm I know I will need to work harder to gain more responsibility.?

ARE YOU LAZY?

Feb 26, 14 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
zonker
  • At a much larger firm I know I will need to work harder to gain more responsibility.
  • The main reason I was laid-off from my old job was because we ran out of work.
  •  
  • e.g., you got fired because you would not + or could not pull your weight - this is very typical of situations where ( I was laid-off from my old job was because we ran out of work.) thats why I got laid off once - just own up to it or you will repeat yourself
Feb 26, 14 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Or, they actually ran out if work. It happens. No need to be rude to the OP.

Job B is clearly better, except for the commute.
Feb 26, 14 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

what a dick...

is moving a possibility? I recently read a blog about the expense of commuting:  http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/10/06/the-true-cost-of-commuting/

I think it also depends on your career goals.  If you want to open your own practice in the some what near future the smaller firm would provide better experience in all aspects of architecture.  It may also provide exp. in the type and size project you'd pursue.  

In general I think larger firms are more professionally managed and provide better compensation.  To me the larger projects are more interesting as well.  

However, i always thought it would be nice to be able to be helpful to friends when they want to do a project on their homes.  I always feel like I would be providing a disservice since I've only done large projects.

Feb 27, 14 12:49 pm  · 
 · 

It's good to see that even "educated" architects like to assume.

Jul 22, 14 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
RemIsActuallyAnAutobot

This seems like a no brainer. Company B

Jul 22, 14 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
SpatialSojourner

Company B, I was in the same situation and went with A because I thought that helping upgrade them would be exciting.  Almost a year later, still using the worst piece of CAD software available.  The people are great though. 

Jul 22, 14 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Eskimo457, go with “B”. Here are my reasons….

Forget the drive! I had offices in 4 cities and I was on the road all the time. It is harder but you need to do what’s needed to push yourself further and higher. I don’t know if you have a family but it will be a little harder on them too….being gone a little longer, but you owe it to yourself and them to push yourself to a new higher plateau. I found that the driving gave me time alone to think and to organize myself; I looked at it as a benefit of sorts. What do you want a pussy job were you take your little sake lunch and bicycle to work everyday, sitting out at a picnic table with the girls during lunch? Grow a pair and drive!

Second, the interview at “A” tells the whole story. He’s looking for bodies. Keeping a small practice going is brutal, they don’t have the marketing power or time as principals to feed the tiger. Its always feast and famine for these guys and when the feast subsides you’ll be in famine again.

Third, stay away from residential work! It pigeon-holes. My son is an architect and he got a job in residential work, a big company….…just starting out, he didn’t have a choice, but he’s spent the last 8 years trying to get out but can’t, architectural firms won’t even look at his resume. Most architects don’t consider residential construction architecture. It’s fun but dead-end.

Revit? At a small firm? You have got to be kidding me!

Work harder? Jesus H Christ you guys! I only saw work as all-on or all-off. I was always all-on. This idea of having friends at work, talking about last nights TV shows together and listening to Nirvana through ear-buds all day is Bull-Shit. Build a career; you owe it to yourself, your family and society. Where you are going may not be Valhalla but just remember it’s up to you, not them to make something of yourself. You need to be the one creating an environment around yourself that attracts further opportunities, promotions and big breaks.

Good luck with your decision.

Jul 22, 14 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
jdparnell1218

Bigger, in your case, may be better.  Your commute may suck, but I drive 30-45 minutes to and from work a day and it doesn't bother me.  You can always move once you start earning.

Jul 22, 14 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

GraduatedLicensure, oh man you just made my day! February? I can’t stop laughing at your quips! Oh well maybe someone will pick some of this up by mistake like we did and glean something….you were after all talking about wasting time.

Just for fun…….according to Forbes 8.1% of workers in US commute at least 1 hour each way, a lot less than I expected….the average is about 30 minutes.

Wonder what happened to poor Eskimo?

Jul 23, 14 10:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: