Archinect
anchor

Mt. Angel Abbey Library by Alvar Aalto

Feb 25 '14 3 Last Comment
Scott M B GustafsonScott M B Gustafson
Feb 25, 14 5:58 pm

I just got back from Oregon. While up there I stopped by Aalto's library outside of Salem. It definitely lives up to the reputation it has for excellent daylighting.

See the post on our website for more images.

http://maison-orion.com/2014/02/25/let-there-be-light/

citizen
Feb 25, 14 6:34 pm

I have this poster in my living room!

Thanks for posting, Scott.  This masterpiece is well worth the visit if in central Oregon.  One of the unexpected pleasures/ surprises there was a tiny, ancient nun in full black habit (it is an abbey, after all) sitting behind the circulation desk.  Modern, meet medieval!

Miles JaffeMiles Jaffe
Feb 25, 14 8:28 pm

Very cool, thanks!

Quondam
Feb 25, 14 9:36 pm

Aalto's Mt. Angel Abbey library design had an immediate (reenactionary) effect on "the Philadelphia School." The same year the plan was published, 1965, Venturi and Rauch in collaboration with Gerod Clark submitted a design for the Berkeley Museum of Art Gallery Competition--

--and in 1966 Mitchell/Giurgola Architects developed a design for the William Jeanes Memorial Library--

Both designs were not built.

Seeing the image above, the Northeast Regional branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia, by Geddes, Brecher, Qualls & Cunningham (I think) is the Aalto building section rendered orthagonally in a rectangular box.

Eventually, Mitchell/Giurgola Architects did design and build a library that is very much a tribute to Aalto--

--Tredyffrin Public Library, 1976

Thanks Scott for this post. I've been wanting to note the effect of the Aalto library for almost two years now, and you presented the perfect opportunity here to do just that.

• ×Search in:

Please wait... loading
Please wait... loading