Archinect
anchor

The Art Assignment - Meet in the Middle

I'm promoting this series, admittedly, because friends of mine are involved in its making.  But I also love that the artists talk about this as a way of exploring your built environment through a new means. 

The Art Assignment, Episode #1.

Possibly an additional way to do a site analysis? A sort of version of Geertz's "thick description".  Having a task in the world that requires you to *not* use the typical means of movement in space definitely allows you to experience the environment in a way that will show you something new - similar to the ADA studies many of us have had to do where we are blindfolded or lose the use of our hands and have to navigate the built world with other abilities.

Also, just fun and a promising new series about collaboration and social media.

Feb 24, 14 8:45 am

Last week's assignment is also very relevant to analyzing the city: Quietest Place.

It also reminds me of this recent thesis project by a Ball State student - the Indy Sound Map.

May 6, 14 9:30 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Art assignment 1 is friggin awesome.  I really want to do this. It's a sort of related to derive huh? Always looking for a weird adventure.  How does one get involved?

May 6, 14 11:06 am  · 
 · 

You just do it, jla-x. Then you can post your results to their YouTube channel, or just share them among your own social media network.

May 6, 14 12:23 pm  · 
 · 

As I'm constantly ranting on about how we need to educate the public to be better consumers of architecture, here is one model for how it might be able to be done: The Art Assignment is a video series engaging people with art making and teaching them more about how to understand art.  This linked video is one in which the host announces a book club.

What book would you like to see be read by a community of people who don't really understand architecture but are curious, people who you would want to see be educated consumers and appreciators of architecture, not producers?

Aug 14, 14 9:39 am  · 
 · 

Related: I'm listening to NPR and a guest just mentioned how this community on Cape Cod was inspired by vernacular architecture to which the host - an NPR host, so likely highly educated! - asked "What's vernacular architecture?".

Aug 14, 14 10:00 am  · 
 · 

Quondam, if we scared the shit out of them would they understand that the shit never goes "away"?

Aug 14, 14 1:26 pm  · 
 · 

LOL.

Aug 14, 14 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Donna, I just posted his name elsewhere – I think the works of Stephen Kellert FAIA, books and his film Biophilic Design – The Architecture of Life. He teaches about human behavior which is a generic public subject that anyone would find interesting, then he demonstrates how architecture plays a role in making the human condition better. I hope this applies to your thread.

Aug 16, 14 2:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: