Archinect
anchor

Becoming an Architect Netherlands / Berlage institute

NSG.

I am currently a BArch graduate, I graduated in the UK with the British RIBA system.

Now I have been accepted at the Berlage Institute which I am very eager to go to. However, It says it does not offer a Masters degree, just it's own diploma.

I want to be recognized as an architect. However the Beralge Institute is not recognized in the ARB or RIBA in the uk as a school which would give a RIBA approved degree.

In other words I can't become an architect in the UK by doing a degree at Berlage.

My question is: how come Berlage is considered a Postgraduate, do you get a Masters Degree? and Following that, how o you become an architect in the Netherlands?

Thank you!

Jun 10, 11 4:21 am
IamGray

Berlage offers a post-graduate research program, which doesn't lead to professional licensure in any jurisdiction. 

The school attracts students who already have their qualifications (ie. British Part II, M.Arch.,Dip.Ing. whatever) and are interested in pursuing an academic / research path. 

In your case, you're probably best off finishing your part II in the UK, if you wish to be licensed in Britain. Alternatively, getting a M.Arch in Holland (TU Delft perhaps?), would open doors for you to professionally practice in the Netherlands.

Jun 11, 11 3:35 am  · 
 · 
patchyu

Hello IamGray, 

According to my research, which I could be wrong, TU delft do not offer M.Arch. They offer masters in Science in Architecture. So, Masters in Architecture is the same as Masters in Science in Architecture??

Furthermore, is M.Sc.A a professional degree? If so, will that enable someone who achieved such honor to register in Holland or any other country?

Best, and thank you for your time.

Aug 23, 16 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
justavisual

MSc = Masters. Its the culmination of 5 yrs of study.

To get a NL license you need an MSc from a Dutch university, or foreign equivalent. https://www.architectenregister.nl/en/To_register/REGISTRATION_REQUIREMENTS

Then you need 2 years internship and a few more special things before you can officially register (also costs 3000euro or something??)- can find out more about it https://www.architectenregister.nl/en/Professional_traineeship

Suggest doing Part II in UK or MSc in Delft/Eindhoven and then Berlage if you really feel the need to stay in school. A diploma from Berlage does not help you become registered in any country.

Aug 24, 16 2:48 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: