Archinect
anchor

Detail Sheet Numbering System

Feb 12 '14 8 Last Comment
wurdan freo
Feb 12, 14 12:13 pm

I've seen detail sheets number 1,2,3... for each page they're one. I've also seen details numbered 123... for page one and then continue 456... on page two, 789... on page three.

Any thoughts on the pros/cons to continue the count past each page or not. Seems like you would have a unique number for each detail, but revisions could be a pain if adding/subtracting detail numbers was not accounted for.

gwharton
Feb 12, 14 12:19 pm

1,2,3 each page, starting at the bottom right corner, increasing up, then left in a grid, skipping numbers where a drawing takes up more than one grid space.

That's how I was taught to do it and how I've always done it. The idea being that sheets which aren't completely full have most of their information to the right-hand side of the page, and the numbering starts by the page number.

Non Sequitur
Feb 12, 14 12:21 pm

detail numbers should start back at 1 for each sheet... and as much as possible, be placed in the same clock or counterclock fashion throughout the entire project.

I see only cons with detail numbering that spans multiple drawings.

mightyaa
Feb 12, 14 1:58 pm

We start with detail 1 on each new sheet.  We also use a numbering system so A5.1.1 means "5" (details) point "1" (1st sheet) point 1 (1st sheet in series).  It's also as much as possible it corresponds to the location.   Think chapter and page references.

Example A4.1 would have a few wall sections.  A5.1.X ("x" being whatever page in the series) would have the details from those wall sections found on the 4.1.

Also works from right to left/top to bottom in a stacked fashion.  So you might have 5 wall sections on that A4.1.  Wall section 1 would be on the right; And the first sheet in the series would have the details associated with it.

gruen
Feb 12, 14 8:24 pm

I put them in a grid, labeled by letter and number. Upper left is A1/A7.0. Bottom right is D4/A7.0. This is for a 24x36 sheet. Some people can fit 5 columns & rows on a 24x36 but I do 4. The grid really helps lay out sheets fast.

ark1t3kt
May 5, 14 4:06 pm

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I was just going to start one on this myself. 

I've seen and heard multiple ways on numbering details on Architectural sheets as well as the reasoning behind it. (i.e. top to bottom, left to right; bottom to top, right to left; clockwise, starting at top right corner; grid coordinate system such as A2, D4, C1, etc…)

The firm I work for uses the left to right, top to bottom method, because that is how you read. Fair enough reason, I guess. 

If I were starting an office standard, I would go with gwharton's method, starting at the bottom right and working bottom to top, right to left, except that I would not skip numbers. That may be confusing if the numbers are out of sequence. We've all seen the detail tag with "NOT USED" before...

gruen
May 5, 14 8:31 pm

The reason(s) I like the grid:

1: the sheet lays out fast. The grid is on a no plot layer.
2: you always know what number a drawing gets.

Mostly, because its fast.

Steven WardSteven Ward
May 6, 14 6:09 am

An ancient argument. Refreshing that it's still out there!

Apurimac
May 8, 14 4:21 pm

Probably best just to start at 1 on each new sheet, starting on the right hand side by the titleblock.  Hard enough keeping track of detail tags just on one sheet.

I'm also a huge fan of right hand sheet orientation although the residential architect I work with the most insists I work left-right, starting at the gutter.

• ×Search in:

Please wait... loading
Please wait... loading