Archinect
anchor

Will Revit Certification help finding a job?

arch08

I have recently completed my masters in Architecture. I was wondering if getting a basic autodesk certification in Revit would make me stand out? Has anybody applied for autodesk certification? Will that really help?

Oct 29, 09 4:48 pm
LB_Architects

No.

Oct 29, 09 4:51 pm  · 
 · 

i second that notion

Oct 29, 09 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
Alexi

Third!

Oct 29, 09 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
tidalwave1

Probably not. I'm certified for 2009 because it was free. I wouldn't spend any money on it though.

Oct 29, 09 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
Frit

To my knowledge, there is no such thing. Revit is not as complicated, customizable or flexible as Autocad. It would be like getting Microsoft certified in Internet Explorer. This is not meant as a bash on Revit. I use it almost exclusively. But, in my opinion the days of marketing software knowledge as something unique are over. Download the trial version. Get familiar with it. Maybe model an old studio project just to prove to yourself that you've got a working knowledge of the software. That should be more than enough for any potential employer.

Oct 29, 09 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

while "using" the software is relatively easy, creating complex families is anything but easy.

Oct 29, 09 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
Frit

Agreed. But few jobs are going to require you to come in the door with that kind of knowledge. So long as your goal is something other than being the CAD manager/BIM guru, I think a basic working knowledge is suffecient. Put another way, I don't think spending money to learn this stuff puts you ahead of the curve enough to warrant the effort, much less the cost.

Oct 29, 09 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
Justin Ather Maud

Last two of my "interviews" encouraged me to take either take the class or be self taught....

Nov 2, 09 10:54 am  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

I've actually seen more than one job post that not only required extensive knowledge of Revit but also required as part of the interview a Revit skill test to make sure you could jump right into using it.

Seems like more and more offices are going the Revit route and with still hundreds of people applying for each posted job I would think any advantage would be worth it. There's still plenty of applicants with years of experience with the software willing to work for intern pay.

Nov 2, 09 11:18 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

As an EA firm, I know that some of our branches are looking for BIM modelers. I think that our firm has noticed that people that are more "architecturally-inclined" have had much better time grasping the concepts of BIM in general.

BUT... I don't think any kind of certificate will help getting the job. Its more about experience and your ability to think outside the box, initiate, investigate, create, and do more than what you can learn on training by Autodesk (or 3rd party resellers) that is often just as much about marketing than training. There is a bit of conflict of interest if they're selling the product.

I wouldn't focus on Revit specifically, but the BIM process, integrated project delivery, and kind of unrelated - scripting (or show skills in hacking/customizing/creating software).

Nov 2, 09 12:08 pm  · 
 · 

as a hirer, i'd say it wouldn't hurt, but if you could otherwise show that you were proficient with Revit, that would be OK too. i'll just affirm what others have said above: don't spend money doing it, but if it's free and works into your schedule, go for it.

we don't ONLY look for Revit people but, since the learning curve for getting not just proficient but good runs pretty long, we certainly favor those who have a background.

Nov 2, 09 12:30 pm  · 
 · 

slart's comments are right on.

Nov 2, 09 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
blah
Agreed. But few jobs are going to require you to come in the door with that kind of knowledge. So long as your goal is something other than being the CAD manager/BIM guru, I think a basic working knowledge is suffecient

When 300 people are applying for 1 job, this "good enough" attitude doesn't work.

Nov 2, 09 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
rethinkit

make

you got that straight - I have 4 years of Revit experience and with 300 people/job - good enough gets deleted if you aren't in the top 2% - forget it - go back to school or get out - every interview I went to - expect total and thorough knowledge - and many firms will test you - You had better believe there is always someone who will ace the exam - skimming over - getting a basic knowledge won't do I know many people who tried this and are now on EDD.

Nov 2, 09 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
charles.ellinwood

thanks for asking this question arch08. i've been wondering the same thing. i've seen ads for some autodesk retailer that offers a discounted seminar for 3 days if you're unemployed.

i've noticed that lots of firms are asking for revit experience in their employment posts. seems to me that it couldn't hurt to have that extra credential just to open a door.

Nov 3, 09 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Anyone have any trouble getting Revit Architecture 2010 to install on a 32bit Vista machine? I know I don't have the newest computer but I haven't had trouble with anything quite like this. Aside from the installer crashing while installing design review (something about not being able to register DWF something or other) once Revit installs the program doesn't open. I'm getting pretty fed up with Autodesk and their janky software. I even downloaded it direct from Autodesk so I know it's not an issue with low-grade pirate software or anything.

Nov 3, 09 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
rethinkit

I installed mine on a 2006 HP dv8000 with XP professional and it works great - Vista has been problematic with autodesk products - I wonder if Windows 7 might work? XP works for sure though.

Nov 4, 09 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

I'm throwing in the towel on it. 3 days later and it still won't work. Got the software installed (and p.s. uninstalling Revit is no small task) but it just freezes up on the splash screen when it opens. I am continually amazed at how poorly made Autodesk products are made.

And rverk.ini, Vista has been the source of more than one problem for me. I curse the day I ever put it on this computer and would not be entirely surprised if Vista was the problem here. At this point it's a decision between $200 to upgrade a 3+ year old machine or just figuring that 3+ years in PC land is ancient and just getting a new computer. Leaning towards option B but lack of being able to hold down a job this year keeps getting in the way.

Nov 4, 09 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Finally installed!

Required activating the administrator account since Vista feels like you don't need this option, cleaning the registry, installing .net framework, then uninstalling .net framework and then reinstalling it and verifying it was activated in the user account controls, downloading a program to find and delete any instance of the previous Revit install and hunting down program folders on my C: drive and registry, deleting the windows temp folder contents, disabling firewall, updating my video card driver, reinstalling the Vista Service Pack 1, force quitting every other running program, restarting windows after each operation and then waiting for 3 hours while the program installed.

Thanks Autodesk. Your awesome. Although I think Microsoft is to blame.

Nov 4, 09 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory
Nov 4, 09 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
rethinkit

Persistance pays off - sorry to hear about you going through the Vista inquisition torture chamber - You just passed your Revit certification test.

Nov 5, 09 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Oh if only it was that easy.

Nov 5, 09 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Oh Autodesk. How you make my life so hellish.

So like I said, got Revit 2010 installed, installed the service pack for it and so far the program works... until I need to save. It will only allow me to save directly into the Documents folder on my C: drive. As soon as I click any other folder... crash.

Anyone else have this problem. Let me guess... it's Vista.

Nov 5, 09 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Revit 2010 doesn't work in XP compatibility mode, FYI. Forgot I had done that earlier in the process to see if that was the problem since it fixed problems I had with Abode products.

I guess the fringe benefit is getting an IT degree!

Nov 5, 09 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Thread rehash...

So it's a year later and the job prospects are just as bleak, so I'm reasking the certification question. Seems like more offices are making the switch to Revit and are now only interested in candidates that are ALREADY experienced, since they have already trained the staff they have. I've seen an increase in job posts that demand proven professional experience with Revit, so if you don't have that (which I don't) I am wondering if spending the money to get the certification would be a worthwhile investment. It just seems like teaching myself the program isn't the answer offices are looking for.

Anyone who has done the class/certification- any advice as to which one is the best?

Nov 23, 10 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

i had registered with autodesk assist program, just to keep up with the latest programs, in my case i was already a pro with Revit to the point that going back to autocadd would be like drafting by hand, anyways i have recently had an interview where they asked me to take an exam for yea you guessed it ACADD! of course i got about half way through it and wanted to walk out, then i had another interview and they asked me about my REVIT experience, and another one coming up where they asked me how many projects were done using REVIT.

I guess what i think they want is people that have used REVIT for real projects.

Nov 24, 10 1:00 am  · 
 · 
paulo.knocks

Dear Revit... You are sucking what little life was left of my profession after Cad got through with it... That said, if you want a job, ya I would spend about 95% of my free time training myself in Revit.

Nov 24, 10 1:35 am  · 
 · 
TheRevitKid

Take every waking minute you have and learn Revit... There are tons of ways to show/prove to an employer your knowledge of the software and certification, personally, is not the best.

Do not waste your money getting certified. Rather, go to my site:

www.TheRevitKid.com

Watch and explore the over 100+ free tutorials and dive into any project, competition, etc... The only way to really learn Revit is to use it... COMPLETE PROJECTS IN REVIT. Do some conceptual stuff, renderings, and take at least one project into CD's. Showing this wide variety of experience and knowledge in Revit will only help.

-Jeff

Nov 24, 10 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Um, self promotion much? I kid- thanks for the insight. I actually have .pdf's of the 2 revit instruction books (Mastering Revit Architecture and Revit Architecture- No Experience Required). I started going though one, but kept getting distracted with a million other projects.

I actually need the money for a new computer more than anything. I don't think I will even make it far on the machine I have now, so I may need to figure out where I am going to get $5000 so I can get a new computer and then start learning Revit.

That's the American way right, spending money (you don't have) to make money?

Nov 24, 10 11:56 pm  · 
 · 
TheRevitKid

I have no shame in self promotion... Just letting others who have not heard of the blog know it exists...

You can build a PC that will handle Revit for under 5000 dollars. Right now I am using it on a dual core MacBook pro with windows 7 and 4gb of ram that I bought over 3 years ago for under 2000. Unless the model is a 100,000 s.f. building I have yet to see a huge performance hit...

Better yet, build an i7 desktop from new egg.com or tiger direct, for under 2000.

Nov 25, 10 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
CADalackey

Glad I came across this thread because I've been wondering this very thing. Firms now want project-oriented Revit experience not just, "Well, I've done some kick-ass training and I'm a fast learner!". They need to know that you've broken several keyboards already because you've slammed your first into them in total frustration hip-deep in a project.

Training can only take you so far. It's very regimented, very safe, clean and without hiccups. Great. You've gotten your driver's license. But, have you tried to drive from one side of Cambridge to the other, going through Harvard Square at 8AM driving INTO the sun? That's the real test of your driving skills, kid; bikes, clueless pedestrians, merging lanes, rotaries, one-way streets, etc.

Cherith, I have a Samsung laptop with an intel i5 chip and Revit 2010 64-bit runs like a champ. Price was around $800 from Amazon. Hooked my old Hyundai L90D 19-inch LCD to it with a cordless Logitech mouse and keyboard and I'm good to go.

Like others have aptly suggested, I plan on wrapping up this thick-as-a-brick book 'Revit Architecture 2010 - No Experience Required', which is brilliant by the way, and then moving onto a project of my own like a fire station or library or whatever. This way, I have something to add to my portfolio that shows someone that I can muscle my way through Revit. Kills two birds as well because I won't have to continue to be insulted by certain snootie British gals telling me I have no conceptual design experience during an interview, but I digress.

Nov 26, 10 10:54 am  · 
 · 
med.

If a firm likes you and your work and find you to be a potential good fit in their office, they will train you on how to use REVIT within less than a week. That's all it takes.

At the firm I'm with now I didn't know shit about REVIT and had no idea how to use it (let alone what it did). But since that firm used REVIT, they trained me in four days (which REVIT certification) when I was hired there and now I'm pretty NASTY at it.

Nov 26, 10 11:23 am  · 
 · 
med.

The point I was trying to make before I accidently hit 'send' is that no one really cares about certifications. Ones you have to pay for are rip-offs and do nothing for you.

And if I can learn REVIT (I didn't even know Auto CAD) and be pretty good at it, anyone can.

Nov 26, 10 11:27 am  · 
 · 
CADalackey

But, how does one respond to the inevitable, "What kind of project experience do you have with Revit (or ArchiCad, VectorWorks, etc.) and do you have any examples in your portfolio to show (prove) it?"

I would partially agree that your being hired, or not, really depends upon many factors, not the least of which is how the interview itself is going. But, if it's an HR person who knows nothing about the 'base constraint' variable or 'split face' command in Revit, they're simply looking to see whether or not you have your black belt. You could lie and find yourself in a heap of trouble when you're thrown onto a project with two other people who know less about the software than you and you're the go-to person.

Nov 26, 10 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

I think it would help, if you have no prior projects in Revit to point to... At least you can qualify that you've completed Revit training... And presumably you've actually used it in order to gain that certification... It certainly can't hurt, other than any fees you pay for that training...

Nov 26, 10 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

I'm looking to see if you can just take the certification exam WITHOUT attending the classes. The exam (although I can't find a price) has to be cheaper than the classes (which are quite expensive) and would accomplish the same end goal.

Also, I do know that Autodesk offers discounts to the unemployed on the exam and the classes. Also, trying to uncover some additional information about that as well. If I can take the exam for a nominal fee after spending a month or so training myself it might be a good deal- certainly one that can't hurt. As many have pointed out, many job posts are requiring demonstrated professional experience with Revit and I'm hoping that the certification (in addition to my own training) will help negate the professional experience requirement (to some degree).

Clearly, doing a project at the office is WAY different than doing one on your own but I feel I need to do something so that I don't get jobbed out of the profession for good. With more and more offices using this recession as a opportunity to shift towards Revit (et. all BIM programs), of all the software skills, it seems to be the one most needed to add to the resume.

Nov 26, 10 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
Voltaire

Dude, walk into any office ready to hop into work right away, employers aren't picking straws, being certifies increases your visibility and makes your CV look way more attractive than your counterpart douchey who isn't certified.

Nov 28, 10 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
CultureofCon

This hasn't been discussed in 2 years so I figure I'll bring it up again to see if the mood has changed.

Certification seems like a quick and easy way to add legitimacy to your resume especially for students and other young'ns that don't have much work experience to back up the words on their resume.  However, when I bring up the topic with more experienced people, they tend to respond harshly and reject any claims of usefulness.  Despite this, I continue to hold the position that it can't hurt your chances of getting a job.  The biggest gamble/downside I see is the cost, which can be pretty cheap if you go on a 'sponsored' day when the test is only $25.

Sep 29, 12 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
legopiece

Recent graduates are being hired in some cases because they know Revit, but knowing how to use Revit to deliver a project or manage a project in CA is a totally completely different world.  Knowing how to use Revit, or Acadd or even your hand to do nice renderings, Does not mean you automatically have enough knowledge about what it takes to take a set of documents from SD to CA. To answer this post i say learn Revit on your own or if you know a current architect practicing with Revit ask him for help. In my spare time i am teaching recent graduates how to use Revit for free. I know they are my competition in the future, but id rather work with a recent grad that actually knows how to use Revit and do CD's with it vs. working with a recent graduate that can render a gargoyle on the side of building and has not ever prepared a set of drawings in Revit, and are so snobby they dont realize they are not experts.

Sep 30, 12 6:44 pm  · 
 · 

This is my take on this. You can learn a multitude of CAD/CAM programs and become certified. In and of itself, its a great thing. You invested a lot of time, and probably expense doing it. But if there is no architecture firm out there that is willing to invest in you, then what's the point? I'm not trying to be pessimitic. If anything, this statement goes out to the architecture firms who should give aspiring architects and designers a chance to do what love, and not just look out for their bottom line. I could be wrong, but I think that the expectations of most architecture firms for 1st time architects and designers, out of school or in school, to be "out of the gates, off and running" with little to no training or supervision, are unrealistic. Architecture firms, in general, should give those who are truly willing a chance. The need for a place to work,to play, to live, to s*** is greater than ever.

Sep 30, 12 7:58 pm  · 
 · 

I think Gensler, HNTB, AECOM, URS and a few other huge AE firms require CAD and REVIT and 3D Studio Certifications to get past the HR robots. The classes cost a lot but if you know it try taking the exam it is one way to independently quantify experience.

Oct 1, 12 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

I was at AECOM and at the time, 2010 I did not have to take a test or be certified - things are different now - the qualifications are more stingent - there are way too many people who claim they are Revit experts. 

Oct 1, 12 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

it really doesn't matter what you're certified in.. if you don't have projects to show, you aren't getting hired. 

Revit is real easy to learn btw.. I just started after years of hesitation and think I can manage working drawings on it with a few days of learning.  Can't believe I put it off for so long... I can literally throw up things within minutes in Revit, things that would've taken me hours on autocad.  RIP autocad!

Where can I get certified in Revit btw?  I interned for Gensler and don't remember anyone saying they need to be certified in CAD, Revit, or 3DS.  Infact, they had a whole tech department available to give tutorials and get newbies up to speed.

Oct 4, 12 2:17 am  · 
 · 

Revit Certification will help you find a job if it is the right type of certification.  If it's all features it only tests memory, but if if the certification assesses the ability to use Revit in a professional office environment then employers take notice.  I have experience in this matter.  I have been recruiting and placing architects for 30 years. We also Certify our candidates. Employers have come to know our certification as the leading indicator of Revit skills.  The same exams we give to our candidates are available to the public starting at $49.99.  There is a Summer sale through July first with a further $20.00 off.  http://www.cfaex.com

Jun 23, 14 7:44 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

Employers have come to know our certification as the leading indicator of Revit skills

which employers?

if i were to take your independent certification, what are the odds i would actually get a job being a revit draftsman somewhere?  what firms will i want to apply to that take your certification seriously?

what sort of position would be available to someone with your certification?  low paying dead end tech job, or something with actual growth in the industry?

what's the ROI?  how many years would i have to be employed as a revit draftsman to make the cost of the certification and/or training worthwhile?

your cfaex link is a dead link.  it expired a couple weeks ago.  makes me wonder if you know what you're doing with revit certification?

Jul 8, 15 10:29 am  · 
 · 
midlander

curtkram, you've fallen for a spambot!

but this one is something interesting, since she generated her spam from another spammer's post, thereby promoting a defunct competitor . it's like the antimatter of spamming...

software certification is about as useful as herbal supplements btw. which is why its promoted chiefly through spamming.

Jul 8, 15 10:54 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

ya, sometimes i just like talking to bots.  i'm not going to be taking revit certifications so i can be further pigeonholed.

Jul 8, 15 11:05 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Certification? Overrated.

Proficiency? Undervalued.

We have a multitude of projects that are constantly being sidelined by silly workarounds that hack functionality that already exists yet, since the employees are in many cases self taught, they don't know the tool can do that. Then, when their hack fails them, someone else has to go in and clean up the mess.

Revit is a tool. It's actually one of the better tools, IMO, because it automates much of the tedium that plagued previous delivery methods. Another thing I like about it is that it's relatively self contained and finite. Whereas CAD could be inception-like in its use of config files, menu customization, and xref nests, Revit is a tool that one can, with a modicum of effort, fully grasp and learn.

This makes it ideal for an Architect looking to use the tool as a means to produce documents as opposed to having to hire experts that are "certified" in the tool.

Jul 8, 15 12:15 pm  · 
 · 

Shuuu keep it quiet, I have 10 years with 2007 autocad working for architects, and the truth is most all architects are way far behind than the students where technology is concerned, and need to be re-educated.

They are now outsourcing most there jobs to other countries, to save money!

I'm learning revit, and have a Bachelors in Architecture degree, but I'm doing this to better my education, and keep up with technology, yes life isn't fair but at least  know I'm educated, and doing the right thing!

Good Luck, Greg

Dec 18, 15 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

No, I'm certified from 2012 to 2015.because I worked for a BIM consultancy and was offered to get the trainer certification, employers don't ask for it.

Dec 18, 15 4:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: