Archinect
anchor

Hot topics in Architecture for a research paper

Feb 10 '14 7 Last Comment
Lucasch
Feb 10, 14 11:56 am

I'm planning to write my research paper on architecture or design for my english class. I have thought about some topics but I'm having some trouble finding an original idea because this research is not for people who are in the design industry. As it is going to be graded by my english language instructor, the research topic should be comprehensible to everyone and it should  concern daily life such as impact of architecture/design on culture or human behavior. I would like to know about your suggestions.

BulgarBlogger
Feb 10, 14 1:02 pm

How about the effect technology has on architecture? Read Martin Heidegger's essays/works.

curtkram
Feb 10, 14 1:19 pm

i hear footing insulation is all the rage these days

Non Sequitur
Feb 10, 14 2:02 pm

Footing insulation is crucial in my area... don't understand why that's surprising to some. Not everwhere has the same weather and or codes.

To the OP, I assume this is more of an opinon piece instead of a research paper you're chasing. Perhaps you can take a building component (say a brick for example) and chase it's history and use in your city's important buildings. Architecture and Design are highly subjective subjects so you can rant for hours on anything and it still wont not be wrong or correct.

curtkram
Feb 10, 14 2:26 pm

i don't think it's whether you have said insulation or not; the discussion seems to revolve around whether a small gap in insulation is allowable.  if you have continuous insulation on the exterior of the footing, there tends to be issues with finish at grade.  if you insulate the interior of the footing, you end up with a thermal gap.  also it seems there is some confusion as to whether it's possible to provide rigid insulation on the interior side of the footing while maintaining a continuous thermal break. 

Non Sequitur
Feb 10, 14 2:35 pm

I followed that discussion Curt but I doubt the the OP took the time especially since it's his first post here and that , he/she is only fishing for some high-school level essay topic. Don't want to mislead him/her into writing about insulation.

I have to deal with -40C degree winters and we still don't extend the insulation above grade if we want the concrete foundation to be exposed. It is often a benefit for there to be some heat loss at the foundation as that will maintain a few extra Ds in the ground and therefore reducing the lifting of the supports due to frost.

curtkram
Feb 10, 14 2:48 pm

i know.  i just thought it amusing to move the OP in a direction that considers what architects are often actually thinking about, rather than something like biomimicry, which doesn't have as extensive real-world consequence.

Non Sequitur
Feb 10, 14 2:51 pm

...but I want my future palace/mansion to be shaped like a sea-shell bubble-matrix...

• ×Search in:

Please wait... loading
Please wait... loading