Archinect
anchor

GSD / Sci-Arch / AA / Bartlett / M.Arch waiting waiting waiting.for decision?

regina11

@hakunamatata: When is UMN visiting program? Have you received any financial info?

Though I haven't heard from them yet and my application status still the same "Awaiting Program Decision".  I don't understand why they are taking so long.

Mar 23, 14 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
mrenz

@Logan and @C.Watts

I've calle USC and asked if I can come visit. They were extremely accommodating and have organized a two hour visit with both faculty and a student for me. I think if you request they will definitely accommodate. 

Mar 23, 14 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
C. Watts
@regina11

Have you called the school and asked? I still haven't heard from UCLA, but have been in contact with them. See if you can pry some info.

@mrenz
Good to know that they are accommodating for those who want to visit. Thanks for the heads up.
Mar 23, 14 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
YVVNG

quick dilemma

Im currently in at USC , pratt & parsons, still waiting on Sci-Arc and U of W.

Im wondering if i should apply to cal-poly pomona (since their deadline is April 1st) - and if i would even have a chance this late (was rejected by ucla, and 3 other ivy league schools - would cal-poly competition be on the same level?) seems like a really good school that produces great work. (and of course tuition would be less)

ideally I would like to build a life in Los Angeles (guess one of the original reasons I ruled out cal poly), but It is very important to me to be part of firms that take design seriously.  How much does the school you attend have an affect on the type of firms you work for?, or does it all come down to your portfolio (and a somewhat recognizable name on your resume?) and if so, does cal poly offer an advantage when preparing you to work design focused firms?

Mar 23, 14 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
regina11

@C.Watts: I had sent an email a week ago but haven't received a reply yet. I should have given them a call. But now I don't want to bug them. Will wait this week and if there is still no response I will call them.

Mar 23, 14 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
YVVNG

woop nvm, cal poly's m.s. arch isn't a professional degree in architecture.  just a panic attack on my part lel, carry on.

Mar 23, 14 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
Sorrowful Giuseppe

I sent an email to Columbia regarding the wait list I got put in a  week ago. never got anything back so far.

Is anyone here in Columbia wait list too? 

Mar 24, 14 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
leif.estrada

anyone attending the GSD open house next Friday? let me know, esp. MLA peeps, would love to meet fellow candidates =)

Mar 25, 14 2:24 am  · 
 · 
snail

I'm on the Columbia wait list too.

Mar 25, 14 9:59 am  · 
 · 
insomniarch

@leif.estrada we should set up an archinect party at the open house. Get everyone together to meet finally after this long process!

Mar 25, 14 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
Sorrowful Giuseppe

@snail

What schools did you get in other than Columbia? 

Mar 25, 14 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
Kaiho

20k from SCI-Arc!!! For first year MArch1!

Farewell my  Columbia...  

Mar 25, 14 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
Sorrowful Giuseppe

@Kaiho

Congrats! 

I though sciarc doesn't provide that much scholarship...

Did you get a scholarship form columbia as well?

Mar 25, 14 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
Roshi

Kaiho: email, mail or phone?

Mar 25, 14 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
snail

@unamuno. I had kind of an unusual application situation where I only applied to three schools, so none this year. :(

Mar 25, 14 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
Kaiho

@unamuno I think this maybe the biggest scholarship they could offer. I'm on the wait list of Columbia which surprised me in the first time, as I didn't meet their all requirements (95 on toefl, 138 on gre verbal section, and 2 rl), with a first-edition-portfo. But it turns out that I probably may go to SCI-Arc even I could get off the list later.

@roshi Actually I was admitted via phone in Feb, but just confirmed my scholarship right now. via email. Good luck!!

Mar 25, 14 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
C. Watts
I didn't apply to Columbia because they said in the FAQ that they did not make exceptions for the GRE verbal score. :(
Mar 25, 14 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
Bwatson

Dang Kaiho, 

you must have impressed them with your portfolio, I applied to Columbia as well with only 2 rec letters  but was rejected and am only waiting on Sci arc. 

@C.watts, I saw someone in gradcafe get accepted with a verbal score below 150, I guess they are breaking their own rules. 

Mar 25, 14 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
Kaiho

@c.watts @bwatson

I think you may need other ways to make up for the low gre. My graphic style is following gsapp, collaborated with few Ms.CCCP graduates and Ph.D students from gsapp last year and got my work exhibited in avery hall, when to the summer intro in gsapp. Besides, one of my recommenders is a friend of wigly and frampton, the other one is a gsapp-visiting-critic.

But, whatever, just apply, it definitely worth a try!!

Mar 25, 14 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
Kaiho

@bwatason good luck for sciarc! maybe we will meet there.

Mar 25, 14 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
Bwatson

Thanks Kaiho , congrats on sciarc , it's definitely my first choice , so if I get in , see you there for sure 

Mar 25, 14 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
lacalo

@MBP27

Same program and same situation with the conflicting emails. Last email i received was on the 24, saying that my bursary application outcome would be sent via email in April.

I wrote today asking about the status of my application to the program. Haven't heard back!

Mar 26, 14 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
b.radical

just got a phone call from Sci-Arc and I'm IN! 

waitlist @ UTSOA and still waiting for UH

Mar 26, 14 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
Bwatson

In at Sci- Arc too, Phone call just now 

@Kaiho, Im coming to La 

Mar 26, 14 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
Kaiho

@Bwatson

Big cong! It's wonderful!

Mar 27, 14 6:34 am  · 
 · 
C. Watts

Just got my acceptance phone call as well from SCI-arc.  Was so excited that I forgot to ask about visiting.  Does anyone know if there will be an open house for us later admits?  I'm hoping to get at least a little scholarship, but not sure if that is likely :/

EDIT: just looked on the website and saw that it is schedule for april 14. GAH, talk about last minute!

Mar 27, 14 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
Bwatson

@ cwatts 

Congrats , I was so excited too that I don't even remember when we're getting the official email. But I'm definitely going to open house, my ticket was only 290.00.

Mar 27, 14 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
thinkgreen

in at Sci-Arc

Mar 27, 14 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
Roshi

In at SCI-arc for M.Arch II (2-year) as well. Hope this mail comes sooner than later because scholarship money will be the big deciding factor between that and UPenn.

Mar 27, 14 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
thinkgreen

would they tell you about scholarships immediately? Or will that come in the mail? 

Mar 27, 14 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
Roshi

No idea. They better give the money info sooner than later though, seeing as how we have about 2 weeks to decide. Also, I find it pretty crappy having the Open House on the day before decisions are due. I'm probably going to go visit SCI-arc the weekend before, and meet a student to show me around.

Mar 27, 14 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
C. Watts

I would think that it would be included in the mail because the acceptance email didn't have an official letter attached.  Some schools tell you right away and others make you wait for the mail.  :/  Sandy said that the package should arrive early to mid next week. 

Mar 27, 14 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
mbp_user

I think I am the first human being to be rejected by SCI-Arc. I have no idea why, I thought I had a strong portfolio.

I've been accepted into Pratt, RISD

Waitlist: USC

Mar 27, 14 11:50 pm  · 
 · 
Bwatson

I heard from someone at sci arc they accepted only around 80-90 march 1 s this year, so I wouldn't feel too bad about it , other people were turned away , they probably just don't post it . 

Mar 28, 14 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
Micah Macaulay

Just got my financial aid award from WUSTL, looks like I'm headed to St. Louis. Anybody else heading to the open house on Thursday?

Mar 28, 14 10:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: