Archinect
anchor

Really, what boundaries have you pushed?

Oct 20, 09 9:31 pm
b3tadine[sutures]

Oct 20, 09 9:40 pm  · 
 · 

So, really, what boundaries have you pushed?

Oct 20, 09 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
maxpower

where's the hose to the compressor? looks like patrick bateman isn't pushing any limits, either.

Oct 20, 09 10:00 pm  · 
 · 

So Patrick bateman and maxpower aren't pushing any boundaries.

Anyone care to tell us about the boundaries they've pushed?

Oct 20, 09 10:05 pm  · 
 · 

mostly just the boundary between sanity and insanity, unfortunately.

Oct 20, 09 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
LML

I gained a few pounds

Oct 20, 09 10:34 pm  · 
 · 

I've never personally been committed to a psych ward, but there was a time when I well knew all the steps to get someone committed, and have indeed succeeded in having someone committed many, many times. As a result, I have visited a variety of different psych wards on many, many occassions, and, hence, I have often visited that boundary between sanity and insanity. Of course, it is an unfortunate place, but, more to the point, it's never comfortable, and sometimes even down-right scary.

You don't play with the boundary there either. You don't push it, and you cetainly don't try to blur it. You learn to keep it steady and clear, for the benefit of both parties.

Oct 20, 09 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

"Be regular and orderly in your life so that you may be violent and original in your work."
Gustave Flaubert

Oct 20, 09 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

i dun push boundary, I DEFINES IT!

Oct 20, 09 11:29 pm  · 
 · 

phantom opera buffs, 1985

Oct 20, 09 11:38 pm  · 
 · 

actually aspect, I find that to be pretty true for me. The more chaotic my life it, the safer and more boring my work is. And the more settled my life is, the more willing I am to take chances in my work.

Oct 20, 09 11:51 pm  · 
 · 

I think Flaubert was advocating an active position toward both life and work, rather that a passive position.

Oct 20, 09 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

that is very very true for me too! this clip of american psycho said it all!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXlkq9vHuAE

Oct 20, 09 11:56 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

or in derrida's term- u find difference' in repetitions!

Oct 20, 09 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
Ah yes, difference in repetition.
Oct 21, 09 12:07 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

last boundary i pushed:

yesterday i walked around MSP trading in some of my worthless architecture books with this|

and

doing this|

somehow, i did not get arrested, but i felt guilty later.

Oct 21, 09 8:18 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Aw, beta, so close.....so close....

I never push boundaries, but I'm reminded of a comic strip: the dog is eyeing the donuts on the table, and the woman says "Grimm, are you trying to steal those donuts?" to which Grimm replies "No, I'm trying NOT to."

Oct 21, 09 8:28 am  · 
 · 

Getting back towards Logan Circle, I go into the Basilica of Sts. Peter and Paul, where I haven't been in over ten years, and haven't been in while empty in 25 years. For some reason, I found it to be enormous inside. I guess it just is enormous, and actually quite nice architecturally, very Renaissance Rome. I notice within one of the side chapels is the chair used by Pope John Paul II while he was in Philadelphia 1979. Since no one else was around and the railing to the chapel was only 2 feet tall, I decided to go sit in the chair myself. I found those few seconds sitting to be quite intense, so I got up quickly because otherwise I would have gotten way too comfortable.

Well, what do you do after having sat in one of the Pope's chairs? To be honest, I was in a very good mood the rest of the day.

Oct 21, 09 8:41 am  · 
 · 
ghrltla

We are not pushing boundaries but pushed by boundaries.

Oct 21, 09 10:56 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i wonder what kind of underwear the pope wears. i'd imagined that it's some kind of bespoke italian kind woven with golden fibers or something absurd like that. he couldn't possibly just pick up a three pack of fruit of the loom, could he?

Oct 21, 09 11:16 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

the pope goes commando, nothing comes between him and the lord.

Oct 21, 09 11:29 am  · 
 · 
c.k.

that's a funny story, Shock Me

Oct 21, 09 11:33 am  · 
 · 

...maybe there's a subconscious trend.

August 1977
There's that open door at the end of St. Peter's Colonnade which opens up to a long corridor and ultimately the Scala Regia. As usual, a Swiss Guard was there standing at attention. I walked up the few steps anyway. The guard remained motionless until I reached the threshold, when he very subtly dipped that spear/ax thing about a quarter inch in my direction. Then I winked at him and returned back to the crowd.

Oct 21, 09 11:40 am  · 
 · 
c.k.

wow, that's daring :)

Oct 21, 09 11:43 am  · 
 · 

i've found that i'm not very good at pushing boundaries, if i recognize them as such. i AM good at being ignorant of boundaries, which makes it much easier to traverse them with no angst or self-doubt whatsoever.

which also means that a perceived boundary - whether real or not! - is harder for me to break through than an actual but invisible-to-me boundary.

which throws the question of boundary up in the air, really, i guess. which ones exist and which have we just decided exist?

i guess maybe the real boundaries are those suggested by the limits of our imagination and creativity and (current) knowledge, i.e., if we can't think it, we either can't go past it or don't know we have.

all of which is probably irrelevant because i DO recognize a lot of boundaries and therefore often find myself restricted by them, whether i would like to break them or not. so i've chosen to embrace them, in most cases, because they establish a sort of disciplined framework within which i can operate.

Oct 21, 09 11:47 am  · 
 · 
aspect

boundary is to keep the sick ppl (architecturally) away from the healthy ones n vice versa^^

Oct 21, 09 11:50 am  · 
 · 

I think there's a pretty clear distinction between pushing boundaries actively and puching boundaries passively.

Oct 21, 09 11:58 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

I tried walking into the Vatican wearing shorts...

Oct 21, 09 12:00 pm  · 
 · 

Steven, it's interesting that what you just wrote boils down to setting up a boundary.

Oct 21, 09 12:03 pm  · 
 · 

And the Laszlo Toth Award for Pushing Boundaries goes to...

Oct 21, 09 12:08 pm  · 
 · 

yes. or constantly negotiating multiple potential boundaries, trying to figure out what they are and where.

Oct 21, 09 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Steven, I love your post.

Which those of you who are regulars will know is not at all pushing a boundary for me to say so.

I also agree that sitting in the pope's chair is awesome, and that the pope goes commando.

For people who like "stepping over the ropes" as Shock Me did above, I suggest the Attingham Summer Program. You get to see all kinds of behind-the-scenes places.

Oct 21, 09 12:36 pm  · 
 · 

Sounds like Purgatory.

Oct 21, 09 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
ghrltla

I am just wondered...
Do you guys think we can perceive the boundary that defines our society?

Things that you perceive as "boundaries" are actually not boundaries but those are what we feel from disparates between boundaries and our limited capablity to bear those.

Oct 21, 09 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

boundaries is defined by those with higher biological capacity, brain & body as one

Oct 21, 09 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Now if only Glenn Gould weren't all about. . .Glenn Gould, rather than about the music !

Oct 22, 09 12:51 am  · 
 · 
fays.panda

i drank 2L of coca cola in one sitting

Oct 22, 09 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

did eat mentos first? that would push more than boundaries.

Oct 22, 09 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
dia

A boundary is an urge you resist.

Oct 22, 09 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
ryanj
http://www.milkgallon.com/

That's me at the bottom. Kidding.

Oct 22, 09 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

the boundary of studity most often pushed by smart ppl.

Oct 22, 09 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

typo> stupidity

Oct 22, 09 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

I rode a rollercoaster for the first time in my life.
I didn't even know how big of a boundary that is.

Oct 22, 09 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

I find myself pushing buttons more often than boundaries.

Oct 23, 09 2:19 pm  · 
 · 

ckl, it's not clear what you mean. Is the rollercoaster a boundary? Or is riding the rollercoaster an experience of pushing boundaries?

food for thought:
"Writing in a language never fully his own, Kafka pushes that language further and further in the direction of his own deterritorialization, to the point where it shakes free all literariness, taking on a concrete but strange--surreal? hyperreal?--materiality. Deleuze and Guattari actually characterize Kafka's mode of writing as a "new sobriety." They contrast the rigorous strangeness of his form of literary enunciation with the esoteric and kabbalistic mysticism of Max Brod, his friend and fellow Czech-Jewish writer, the latter attempting to effect a symbolic reterritorialization by artificially enriching the appropriated German language with arcane signifiers. Likewise, citing the parallel instance of two Irish writers, James Joyce and Samuel Beckett, Deleuze and Guattari compare Joyce's excessive, polyglot Irish-English with Beckett's parsimonious English and French: "The former never stops operating by exhilaration and overdetermination and brings about all sorts of worldwide reterritorializations. The other proceeds by dryness and sobriety, a willed poverty, pushing deterritorialization to such an extreme that nothing remains but intensities."
--Ockman

"We happen to be fundamentally interested in challenging and advancing typologies. So from day one we were much more interested in "OK, this has to be a flexible theater. What does that mean? How do we do that? How do we make that happen."
--Prince-Ramus

Oct 23, 09 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

the rollercoaster was an experience of pushing a boundary, for me. I know it's not the case for most people.
Now enjoying Beckett, that would be a boundary maybe I should strive to push.

Oct 24, 09 12:42 am  · 
 · 
aspect
that's the ultimate boundary one can push
Oct 24, 09 5:32 am  · 
 · 
hey zeus

ahhhh Albert Camus' "The Rebel" or "The Myth of Sysphus"
there was this independent film preview I remember forever scene -
"There are two types of people in this world. When they reach their breaking point they either commit homicide or suicide, which one are you?"

that's the ontological boundry every person should reach before giving anyone advice on life.

i like to break meaning down to being meaningless, those are the boundaries I push. in some old post I told this 21Ronin he sucked for being poor and bitching about it, that's the boundaries i like to push.

you can hate old school architects all you want, but the fact they make everyone hate their jobs and the boss is probably the best way to push the limits in this profession...

i tell people at work "don't tell me good job, that makes me lazy" push the limits, tell me I suck as I cram $50K worth of CD's work down your throat in 2 weeks, booyaaa....ok where is my bonus?

life is meaningless daily, push that limit.
architecture can't say nor does it say shit about anything, push that limit.
architect's are worthless, push that limit.
architect's are the god's of the construction industry, push that delusional limit.

get shit faced in hell's kitchen and tell someone to go fuck themselves, see what happens. watch cops pull guns on a man nearly beat to death and get a slice of pizza.

what does any of this mean - NOTHING!

tell God you view him like a greek and find the whole trilogy of god-jesus-holy spriit stupid as you get arrested for a DUI...tell god he means nothing to you as everything in your falls apart.

the only boundry to push is the one that sends you over the edge.

Oct 24, 09 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Sitting at a gay club on my break today, talked to a man who eventually told me, proudly or defiantly, that he takes pleasure in beating someone's face in when they call him "faggot." I got up and moved on. Geez. . .

Oct 24, 09 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
hey zeus

you should of punched him in the face man, that's the boundry man, he was asking for it!

i watch my daughter (18 months) dance and fliip out to Elmo as she is star-struck by Elmo. for all those meaningless boundaries i've crossed, the scene of my daughter flipping out to Elmo makes a meaninfull life experience that regardless of what boundry I push, it will always be a boundry to my reason for existence...

Oct 24, 09 7:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: