Archinect
anchor

Internship BIG NYC

ArchEngDes

Has anyone interned for BIG in NYC? Thoughts? Is it mainly conceptual work since their american office is very young?

Feb 6, 14 3:34 pm

1 Featured Comment

All 20 Comments

thunderclap

BIG builds. Period.  So no, it's not just conceptual work.

Feb 6, 14 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
Thecyclist

My understanding is the office in New York is focused on the North and South American projects, such as those in Pheonix, Miami, New York, Bahamas, etc. Apparently, Bjarke is splitting his time between the two now also. I plan on applying for an internship there soon.

Feb 6, 14 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

I would be interested to hear how much of a stipend they give you...

Feb 7, 14 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
ArchEngDes

Thunderclap, I think BIG is only starting to get a footing in the Americas (they opened house ~1.5 years ago in NYC; they're still pretty young). If you  look at their work more closely and organize their work in terms of "Status", you will only find 8-10 actual built projects at a substantial scale (rest are exhibits). The majority of their projects are still conceptual. There is only one project under construction in the U.S, the rest (7-8 construction projects) are in China or Europe. I think a more correct statement is, "BIG is starting to build."

Natematt, I heard that they pay around 1600 (After taxes ~ 2k) for a 9 month period (I think 6 months for students).  

Feb 7, 14 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
ArchEngDes

1600 / Month. Btw. 

Feb 7, 14 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
Roshi

Good god, thank you for that followup post ArchEngDes.

Feb 7, 14 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

Well it's above minimum wage at least...

Feb 7, 14 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
dgravesLA

Internship? Stipend?

I like BIG, but architects and designers need to end the 'willWorkForDreamDesigns" method of making architecture.  I did that, once, and it was very fun, but very taxing on finances.  I suggest taking a prevailing wage 'entry designer' stance with any new employer, period.

Architects or designers SHOULD NOT lower themselves to working for 1600/month, especially in a city as expensive as NYC.  BIG has enough money to pay a decent wage, period.  So does Rem Koolhaas. So does Zaha Hadid.  Yet these high designers create 'slave architecture studios' where designers never see the light of day.

What we do has value.  Contractors also create value, They also create an image of worth that architects have yet to master.  I have never seen a laborer on a jobsite work for less than a prevailing wage, and I'd argue that an entry level designer contributes as much to the creation of a building as this laborer; we need equitable payment. If employees demand a prevailing wage, principals will have to demand a higher fee from clients, and the industry will pick up its profitability, slowly. 

One way to start is marketing. I suggest you check out architecture prints and you'll get a head start on my marketing, anyways.

Best of luck to you and the BIG survivalists.  I love their work, but I won't ever work there (I like proximity to the beach and daylight).

Feb 7, 14 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
zdmdmz
I would agree with degraves la. Firms such as BIG, zaha hashit should just go bankrupt. OMA is a little better as they publish some readable books. But yeah, smart architect don't work there.
Feb 8, 14 2:09 am  · 
 · 
Yeap

not too bad option if you had once in your life but secondly? think sth else

Mar 12, 14 6:18 am  · 
 · 
jasonmou

Do yourself a favor and not go there and instead find a place where they do architecture and not that diagram shenanigan they have going on.

Mar 16, 14 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
Medusa

Well it's above minimum wage at least...

Probably won't be once you factor in all the overtime.

Mar 16, 14 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment

I work at BIG as an intern. My salary is completely livable for NYC. It's a fun office and it's average for intern pay in comparable firms including OMA. Bjarke is great. You will really get to know him here. He doesn't have the "too good to talk to an intern" attitude of Rem.  Its not that I dont appreciate other masters, I really do. 

And for the record we are growing. Especially after West 57.  We get more and more inquiries every week - actual buildings not just temporary work. 

You dont have to like the work your firm does. I do get some input for designs. In fact everyone does proposals in the beginning of a project. But in this climate you cant be picky. I regret nothing.

Mar 17, 14 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
praneethmani

hey can you tell us the pay you got as an intern?

Feb 12, 17 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
d.preranajain

hey can u suggest what kind of portfolio they accept

Jan 31, 21 12:23 am  · 
 · 
d.preranajain

I hope everything went well Being an intern at BIG is my dream too. Can you tell me how did you manage to get there? Is your cv and portfolio is awesome? what kind of portfolio do they accept? what should you put in ur portfolio that attracts them. what syle of render attracts the please guide me by few words so that even I achieve my dream

Jan 31, 21 12:38 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Do it for 6-9 months. You might have to survive on bread and water, but if you have a roommate you can swing it. It will be a valuable experience, one that you will cherish throughout your life.  

Mar 17, 14 2:38 pm  · 
 · 

I dont live on bread and water. And I have a social life with free weekends. I agree it's valuable. 

Mar 17, 14 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
Rosin

Hi ... I am a fourth year student.I want to do my six month internship in bjark ingels group .so I would like to know your experience there.about the firm,salary stay and what kind of work e do as an intern.and suggestions for making portfolios.

Jan 12, 16 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

Rosin, to work at BIG you need to know someone...professor, former intern, current employee. They're expanding but still get hundreds of emails a day about jobs and internships. Having a gsd.harvard.edu email isn't good enough. Nor is having a good portfolio

Feb 13, 17 1:03 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Not to pry, Maureen, but how about a number?

Most of my friends working in NYC make less than I do in Portland, and I don't make that much in Portland.

Jan 12, 16 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
Sharky McPeterson

I'm fairly certain Richard W.C. Balkins, Professional Building Designer, either interned or worked for BIG in the past.

Jan 12, 16 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Don't be ridiculous. You know the violent crime rates in NYC?!?!

Jan 12, 16 7:44 pm  · 
 · 

tduds, violent crime is fine (he has to deal with the occasional domestic violence headline in Astoria), it's really only the senseless gang-related violence he has an issue with. 

Jan 12, 16 11:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: