Archinect
anchor

Using a Compass

archiaspirations

Hello Archinecters!

I am a new student of Architecture this semester, and our first studio assignment is to make a series of geometric constructions. Now here comes my problem. I am not very good with using a compass. So, I was wondering if any of you lovely Archinecters had any tips or tricks for making more uniform circles, not tearing the trace, etc.

I know it seems infantile, but I'm new to this and would appreciate any advice.

Feb 2, 14 12:38 pm
ArchNyen

This ritual needs to be preform before doing any serious drafting or else the Architecture God will enforce non uniform circles and tearing of tracing paper upon your project.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=671783759545456&set=vb.140597285997442&type=2&theater

Feb 2, 14 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
Medusa

If you are drawing on trace, put something resilient underneath, like a peice of chipboard so that your compass has something to bite into.  Make sure that whatever you place underneath is large enough to cover your entire drawing surface so that your paper lays flat where you are drawing the circle.  To actually draw your circle, don't just hold the thing upright and spin it.  You have to tilt the compass and spin it around using a sweeping motion until you get all the way around.  It's hard to describe, but you will know when you do it right.

If that doesn't work, try asking a retired drafter at your local senior center. Or consult with a museum that specializes in the curation of ancient tools.

Feb 2, 14 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

Go to your teacher and ask him/her where is the numeric pad and enter button?

Feb 2, 14 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
archiaspirations

I realize that the compass is not exactly cutting edge technology, but my program does not allow us to use computers for any of our assignments until our third year. Silly, I know but it is the assignment and I do appreciate the advice.

Feb 2, 14 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

It's not silly to prevent PC drafting until mid to late undergrad studios. CTRL-Z and copy-paste make lazy students. One day, when you're spending 10+ hours a day in the CAD world, you'll look back to your days of paper & pencil. That's why, and I doubt I am alone here, I still hand-draft most of my construction details, however simple they may be, before using my workstation.

as for compass advice, if it is one of those types with exchangeble leads, use something other than HB, perhaps a 2H or harder. That way you can perform a few turns without messing up your drawings. Sharpen that lead too!

Feb 2, 14 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
archiaspirations

Thanks Non Sequitur!

Feb 2, 14 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

The serious attitude of an architect. :0/ school and life is about learning and having fun. Don't let the Architecture Gods take that away from you. Good luck in your studies grass hopper. 

Feb 2, 14 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
Aristotle

Keep the centre firmly in place, and keep the pencil end firm on the paper, smooth lines, make sure you have a good compass for orthographic drawing, not your ordinary bog standard toy-type of compass.

Feb 4, 14 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

hey, those toy-type of compass has feelings too you know

Apr 5, 14 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
elizabethnew

I think if this field is of your choice then you will not take much time in becoming the expert in using compass. You should start practicing it roughly first. After sometime you will get used to it.

Apr 7, 14 1:17 am  · 
 · 
claytonknipe

Okay. Best compass? For drafting as well as carpentry?

Jun 18, 20 2:24 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: