awaiting_deletion

Nov 21, 15 6:04 pm  · 
 · 

Not minimal.

Mar 21, 18 9:25 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Scarpa, I presume . . .

Who wrote a book called "Rich and Strange" . . . ?  That's "strange" in a good way, not in a yucky sort of way (Dame Edna).

Nov 21, 15 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

. . . Constructivism married to graphic design, of exotic yet earthy material ?  

Was this travertine door meant to blend with its wall rather than stand out, as a wood or metal one would ?

Nov 21, 15 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

yes Scarpa.

"Constructivism married to graphic design" NO.  I would say it's understanding materials, but I didn't design it.  was Scarpa carving the materials on paper.  I think if you call it Graphic Design it kinds of looses it essennce?

Nov 21, 15 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Yes -- Scarpa deserves a better description than mine.  The differences between him and an earlier architect he apparently admired -- an American whose work might also be called "rich and strange" -- would make a good research paper (as a college acquaintance used to say).

Any architect's work could be said to have an element of graphic appeal, I guess; we call it "composition" ?

Nov 21, 15 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

composition.

Nov 23, 15 9:04 pm  · 
 · 

This thread makes me breathe more deeply.

I'm bumping it today for reasons that will become more clear soon.

Mar 21, 18 9:11 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Good bump.

Mar 21, 18 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I like the dirtyness of that drawing.  Needs coffee and guinness stains.

Mar 21, 18 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

Wow crazy getting a notification about this. It's been so long I forgot I had an account. Nice thread to bump. 

Mar 21, 18 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment

I honestly miss the days when this kind of thread was what took up most of our time on Archinect. 

Hi phuyake!

Mar 21, 18 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

So do I, Donna.  Having fallen off the radar, I'm no longer in touch.  Wasn't there a not-too-radical reworking of the site, a while back ?  I guess that's when I lost it . . .

I'm as fond as ever of minimalism.  I'm working on a lamp.  4" paper study model:

Mar 22, 18 12:09 am  · 
 · 

Via this post

Mar 22, 18 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Love that, Nam.  I like the way the vertical panel returns.  Could almost be two materials -- wood and stone, maybe ?  

You see that reveal a lot nowadays.  Nice way for two elements to (almost) meet.  Requires just as much craft as a tight joint, I'd say.

Mar 22, 18 9:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: