Archinect
anchor

Cutting Edge Architects in Detroit?

FOUAD

Any suggestions on cutting edge Architects working and based in Detroit would be helpful.

Oct 5, 09 1:57 pm
brian buchalski

Field, Hinchman and Smith...i think they might be in the phone book

Oct 5, 09 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
med.

puddles don't you mean Smithgroup?

Oct 5, 09 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
rza

Haha^^^

Zago

Oct 6, 09 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

puddles, it's smith, hinchman, grylls. eero saarinen also runs a nice little office up in bloomfield hills.

i don't think zago's practiced in detroit in years.

Oct 6, 09 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

what about mcintosh poris or vantine guthrie

Oct 6, 09 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

Office dA has an office in Ann Arbor... yeah, an hour oustide the city, but still...

Oct 6, 09 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

toaster, does office da really have an office in ann arbor? monica is the dean of tcaup, but i didn't think she intended to open a bonafide satellite office of office da in ann arbor.

bill massie is the architect in residence at cranbrook and has warehouse space in pontiac, but i don't think he has any sort of staff, perhaps outside of cranbrook student assistance.

there are countless threads about this. i would do a search.

Oct 7, 09 9:34 am  · 
 · 
rza

News from October 6th, 2009:

"The John H. Daniels Faculty of Architecture, Landscape and Design at the University of Toronto announced that a design team led by Boston-based architectural firm Office dA has been chosen to transform its facilities."

Oct 7, 09 10:04 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

it was field, hinchman & smith who did the ford's piquette plant. al kahn also looks like a pretty promising arch practise.

Oct 7, 09 10:46 am  · 
 · 
not_here

office dA hired a bunch of tcaup students for a few research projects last summer. they were working from the tcaup studios.

that is all i know.

Oct 7, 09 11:26 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

yes, puddles, i know, but what i'm saying is that field, hinchman, and smith is now smith, hinchman, and grylls. i think wirt rowland is running the design studio. you may want to send him an email if you are interested.

Oct 7, 09 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

goodness me! grylls is a partner now...really?! guess i've been gone too long.

Oct 7, 09 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

McIntosh Poris does good work, and VanTine Guthrie is now inForm. Kahn just let half their staff go. Look toward A2 or GR for "cutting edge."

Oct 7, 09 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

Zago still practices outta Detroit, though he splits time with LA..

Oct 7, 09 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
simples

if you really mean "cutting edge", the answer is no; as pointed out above, cranbrook and uofm, have brought monica ponce-de-leon and bill massie into the area, but those are by no mean local practices. there are some firms doing critical work, most mentioned above, and i would throw in biddison architecture, but i don't even know if they are open anymore...there are good people in the area, but most are just trying to push decent architecture thru...and that seems hard enough...

having said that, i wish cutting edge architects of the world would be more interested in the cut edge of detroit

Oct 8, 09 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

On a tangent, I caught the tail end of a pretty interesting show on DPTV last night called Up From Ashes that followed the construction of InForm's Traverwood Library in Ann Arbor that reused diseased ash trees in the construction.

Oct 9, 09 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
simples

chili...i caught most of that as well...they do good work...

Oct 9, 09 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

whatever happened to [/I]DI-ARC: Detroit Institute of Architecture[/I]?

the classes were going to in someone's basement?...

Mar 12, 10 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

diarch was going to set up shop in my basement. i think i was trying to convince le bossman and puddles to come on as instructors, but the negotiations flamed out. they would prefer to live in areas of great natural beauty rather than the blighted rustbelt. go figure. i'm still taking applications for students, but right now the staffing is a little thin - me and my two cats (boots and smokey).

Mar 12, 10 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
AfRoThUnD312

Being from Bloomfield Hills area, there is pretty much no real option for cutting edge architecture. M1 DTW (http://www.m1dtw.com/home.htm) is pretty good along with Massie and Office dA. Those are your real options other than large boring corporate firms. Seriously though, good luck getting in those places, I know you need to be on first name basis with any of those firms to get anywhere near the door.

another option:

You could start the movement of 'cutting edge architecture' by buying a city block of Detroit for a few thousand and develop it into your dream city project...

Mar 12, 10 12:53 pm  · 
 · 

Bump!

Any critical young architects in Detroit doing decent work actually good for the city?

May 1, 17 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

I personally can't stand him, but Dan Pitera and the Detroit collaborative design center do very good work

May 1, 17 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

Not architecture per se, but City Form Detroit

May 2, 17 11:25 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

good suggestion, lots of DCDC alums there

May 2, 17 4:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: