Archinect
anchor

Study architecture on the road!

gaso

Hi, It´s my first time in this forum. I´m finishing my aerospace engeneering degree, doing some internship and a final project.

But architecture had been always on my mind, whenever I go and find some problem with space I try to mentally re-design it or sketch it if I have something to draw. Also in aerospace  the thing I love is designing the product what ever it may be (plane, spacecraft, helicopter...)

Also I found that 1 year in a place right now is too much for me. I´d want to make the world a better place with whatever skills I will learn, but to do so I think I have to know the word somehow, seeing the real achitecture and the problems of different places.

I would like to study architecture while actually seeing it town by town, and talking to the people about their houses and seeing new ways of living these houses.

This would be a dream for me, but I don´t find any online or few presential hours courses...

The question is: is there any real way of learning architecture like this in a more or less official way?

Thank you very much!!

Jan 28, 14 11:16 am
curtkram

lots of books to read. i'd start around here:

http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Las-Vegas-Forgotten-Architectural/dp/026272006X

Jan 28, 14 11:28 am  · 
 · 
gaso

Thank you!  I already ordered it.

But my question was more concerned about if there was any "official" way to study architecture, and to get the official competences.  As far as I know now the assistance is obligatory, I was wondering if there is a way to do it even in more time, or just going to exams or something.

Or I just have the option to learn by myself asking people and architects but in an unofficial way?

Jan 29, 14 5:14 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

study architecture in the sense of learning about architecture history?  or you want to be an architect?

for the first, i would say reading books and self-educating is just as good as a degree, but i'm sure there are degrees in architectural history if you want to stay in school.  learning about architecture in the sense of going from city to city and looking at houses is different than architectural history though.  architectural history is going to be focused on monuments and lost civilizations and such, which are really very different from where people actually live.

what university are you at?  one thing you might look at is finding a course related to architecture (houses and such might be referred to as 'vernacular.')  if you can't take those as electives, you might be able to audit them.  that's where you just sit in.  you don't get credit and you don't take the tests, but if your goal is an education, the credit and tests aren't very important.

if you want to actually be an architect, you can go to a 3 year master program, then idp, the take some test.  it's a pretty long and expensive process with little reward waiting at the end.

Jan 29, 14 9:14 am  · 
 · 

Tadao Ando did that. But maybe he's related to the mafia and beat people up to get his first commissions. 

Jan 29, 14 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
gaso

I studied in Spain, in Universidad Europea de Madrid, and now am in Germany working and doing my final thesis.  And unfourtunately I don´t have that much relation to the mafia... jeje

I would like to actually be an architect. I´m more interested in houses and small spaces where people live each day.

I know the best way will be to start a bachellor in architecture, like everyone, but I want to travell, know the and if possible work a little bit in one place, and alittle bit on another; while studying what I like. One option would be try to do erasmus and change the university each year.

But in case I went on my own, with no university behind, how could I really get constructive feedback or test my learning?

Thank you really much for your responses :)

I´m freaking out with www.architv.org! jeje It´s awesome, thank you.

Jan 30, 14 4:13 am  · 
 · 
benedictpaul7

You can study architecture courses online itself.
Build Academy Inc offers online architecture courses which consists of video lectures, reading and quizzes etc. You can explore the buildings in the cities and as you wished you can visit them too, learning about the buildings in-depth. It might be helpful for you to understand the architecture of every town. They will provide the course completion certificate by OOAC. Anyone can join this online course, it’s not necessary that only architecture student can join in this.

May 13, 16 5:57 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: