Archinect
anchor

Grad school acceptance rates

dave9098

I am applying to grad school soon and was looking for more information of the acceptance rates and found this site www.petersons.com What I find odd is that some of the acceptance rates they list seem way to high. What do you guys think? these are all specifically for the graduate architecture programs.

Pratt: 567 applicants, 51% accepted, 90 enrolled.

Arizona State: 174 applicants, 55% accepted, 41 enrolled.

michigan ann-arbor: 561 applicants, 49% accepted, 94 enrolled.

university of Illinoise: 368 applicants, 24% accepted, 76 enrolled.

Washington University: 248 applicants, 78% accepted, 61 enrolled.

University of Southern California: 126 applicants, 59% accepted.

I find it hard to believe that Pratt accepted 290 students and 200 of them declined. Is it possible that I am reading these wrong?

Sep 19, 09 12:29 am
fuzzybunny

Possibly the statistics are wrong. When I received my acceptance letter from Pratt, it stated that they accepted 14% of applicants. 290 sounds way too high, I think they accept around a 100 a year.

Sep 19, 09 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
bozerwong

acceptance rates vary from year to year. and during economic recession you can expect more people going back to school. and it is logical for reputable schools to accept fewer students because more people are expected to attend, than regular state schools. those state schools tend to have lower "retaining" rates.

Sep 19, 09 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
banannie

Michigan actually has their stats posted on their website, so you can compare them to what Peterson's says (I've always wondered if they're accurate too).

According to Peterson's, Michigan had 561 applicants, 49% accepted, 94 enrolled.

According to U of M, the MArch 2 year program had 400 applicants, 155 accepted, 59 enrolled and the MArch 3 year program had 161 applicants, 119 accepted, and 35 enrolled. That totals 561 applicants, 274 accepted (49%), and 94 enrolled.

So for Michigan at least, they were completely accurate, but the fact that all the MArch programs are lumped together can make it kind of misleading.

Here's the link to Michigan's own stats: http://taubmancollege.umich.edu/architecture/programs/graduate/student_profile/

Sep 19, 09 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
wittyusername

Holy crap, University of Washington (Seattle) had an 11% acceptance rate.

UCLA's rate is 30% (would've hoped for lower but it'll do).

Sep 24, 09 1:04 am  · 
 · 
tagalong

are grad programs really that big? I thought 50-60 was usually the max for enrollment, even at the bigger programs.

I can't imagine a class of 94...plotting for reviews must be a nightmare.

Sep 25, 09 9:55 am  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

tagalong: our grad school has about 115 students, but that includes all programs in the graduate architecture school (ie M.Arch 1, 2, 3, Phd, MS). The average class size of M.Arch 3 is 19.

dave: I think the NCARB website has an excel sheet listing all the acceptance rates. However, I doubt it's up-to-date considering the spike in applicant since last year.

Sep 26, 09 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
Zclpppp

May I ask why Arizona State is in the list, is this school worth to go?

Dec 25, 22 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
RJ87

Interesting that Washington University is the #15 University in the country but accepts 78% percent of MArch applicants. Shows you no one want's to live in Missouri, myself included. They did offer significant financial aid when I applied, but it was still a significant expense.

Dec 27, 22 11:09 am  · 
 · 
l3wis

I'm not suprised, OP. Pratt is a very expensive school, probably doesn't give out much financial aid, and it is often included in people's lists who are aspiring to more elite schools. People apply to way too many schools these days anyways which is why your numbers seem weird.

Dec 29, 22 4:09 pm  · 
 · 

Here is an insider info: almost all the schools I know of are looking for students right now! Almost guaranteed if you have a good financial standing in private schools.

Dec 29, 22 5:05 pm  · 
1  · 
ham1

Source? Curious why this is the case

Dec 29, 22 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Private schools are not worth the $.

Dec 29, 22 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
ZahaHadont

Interesting.

Jan 2, 23 11:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: