Archinect
anchor

Cons of Being An Architect

SneakyPete

Come to think of it, the entire profession of architecture is a con.

Jan 16, 14 10:34 am  · 
 · 
DeTwan

It took me about 8 years in the professional world to figure that out. I know, 8 years is a long time to figure anything out. Better late than never though.

Jan 16, 14 10:43 am  · 
 · 
Medusa

#41. People always think that you must be really good at math.

Jan 16, 14 10:58 am  · 
 · 
1deviantC

never getting any ass because your dumbass is stuck at work (at midnite) on some stupid deadline while you should be at home cuddling up to wifey

Jan 16, 14 11:16 am  · 
 · 
Aristotle

Sometimes Clients don't pay you and you have to chase them, delaying your cash-flow.

Most architects are not very good designers, their detailing is not very good.

Feb 4, 14 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Aristotle, I feel you've only come here to complain. It appears from your numerous posts today on this fresh account that you know very little of this profession. In the real world, most architects can design and detail, a fair number of them do so very well. You would do much better if you removed your blinders.

Feb 4, 14 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
Aristotle

@non sequitur, there must be a culture difference, I'm british, we moan really well. I have 4 years professional experience, what do you know about me. I have had my fair share of clients with-holding payment, it;s a common experience.

Here. http://www.bdonline.co.uk/my-client-isn%E2%80%99t-paying-%E2%80%94-how-can-i-recover-unpaid-fees?/5023678.article

Feb 8, 14 6:27 am  · 
 · 
Aristotle

@non sequitur : quote " Architects should always choose clients carefully and be vigilant on cash flow and debt recovery, but this is easier said than done, particularly in these stricken times.
Among the practical issues to consider when pursuing unpaid fees are the implication of losing the client – maybe this is not a bad thing if they don’t pay your fees!"

You sound like the one with inadequate experience.

Feb 8, 14 6:28 am  · 
 · 
Aristotle

@non sequitur, if architects were so good at detailing ,why do contractors not think so, one of my mates is a contractor and he takes the rip out of architectural detailing all the time. Hence, Request for information.

Feb 8, 14 6:30 am  · 
 · 
Aristotle

(I've got four years of professional experience but not at part 2.)

Feb 8, 14 7:52 am  · 
 · 

Sometimes Clients don't pay you

Maybe there's a reason for that.

Feb 8, 14 9:05 am  · 
 · 
Aristotle

@miles jaffe, it's not my company, i still get my salary

Feb 8, 14 10:58 am  · 
 · 
Aristotle

and I don't personally deal with the business side, I just churn out the information needed. Non-payment has nothing to do with quality of output, it might be their own lack of capital or as you know if youve worked in practice that projects get abandoned all the time.

Feb 8, 14 11:11 am  · 
 · 
OoohnooO

I'm not an Architect yet, but as far as clients not paying fees. You guys should really be good friends with Debt Collectors (legal preferably), they really help fix a lot of problems you have with cheap-ass clients. 

Feb 8, 14 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
Aristotle

@ LanceYatooma lol, yes thanks for that, reminds me of story I read about an architect who got illicit debt collecters and they poured acid on the client's car, think the architect got struck off or disciplined for professional misconduct by the professional body. I can't find the story atm.

Feb 8, 14 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

You can be fabulously successful without a grain of design talent.

#42 you can be fabulously talented but not find a grain of success.

People always think that you must be really good at math.

#43 you can be really good at math and it is basically useless.

Feb 8, 14 11:55 pm  · 
 · 

#44  That moment when you find out the biggest slacker in your senior class (yes, the one that made most of their models out of Red Bull cans and whatever empty foil bags or candy wrappers they procured from the deepest, darkest recesses of their desk because they didn't work on their projects until an hour before they were due) somehow landed a job at one of the biggest firms in the country.

Feb 21, 14 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

#45. Husbands and wives, as clients.

Feb 21, 14 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

#45 Old Husbands  Young Trophy Wives with Ivy League Degrees.

Feb 22, 14 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

When did trophy wives get ivy league degrees?

Feb 24, 14 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

it's getting competitive

Feb 24, 14 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
stiletta

#46:  "What is antonym for architect?..."

Feb 24, 14 5:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: