Archinect
anchor

Do I need to take a Civil Engineering course if I want to be an architect?

Hlmendail

I'm nowhere close to being able to go to college yet but I want to know everything so I can have everything planned out neatly. 

I really want to take architecture but now i'm not sure as to what classes i'm supposed to take. I want to be a type of architect that has a lot to do with technology. I already know a few designs I want to do with a lot of technology but I don't know if I have to study Civil Engineering or what to be able to have something like that built. 

I'm planning on studying in France in the École Nationale Supérieure d'architecture de Versailles, or in the École Spéciale d'Architecture but maybe they don't have technology courses? And if I do have to take Civil Engineering, should I take Architecture first or Civil Engineering? Oh, and what's a BS? I see a lot of people mentioning that on forums and architecture pages.

Jan 14, 14 1:12 pm
IDEA Architecture College

Hi,

Nice to know about your technological interest towards architecture and you are planning to mix up the things. The main difference between civil engineering and architecture is their preferences to looks and functionality, you will find architecture more towards looks and civil engineering towards functionality. There is very less role for architects while constructing hydroelectric dams, canals, roadways. Civil engineering plays important role while building public structures and Architecture is given more importance when it is a private structure and both looks and functionality are given the equal importance. I would suggest you to go for architecture courses first and then you can opt for civil engineering.

Jan 16, 14 2:00 am  · 
 · 
zhnedc
BS stands for Bachelor of Science.
If you're still away from being seriously into architecture, I would advise you to do anything and everything that makes your brain hop on a happy train. Is it going to be mechanics or theater? Doesn't matter, but it will help you later be a good architect. And don't try to organize your life because unexpected things will pop up, and you will have to persist. Good luck!
Jan 16, 14 2:07 am  · 
 · 
zhnedc
BS stands for Bachelor of Science.
If you're still away from being seriously into architecture, I would advise you to do anything and everything that makes your brain hop on a happy train. Is it going to be mechanics or theater? Doesn't matter, but it will help you later be a good architect. And don't try to organize your life because unexpected things will pop up, and you will have to persist. Good luck!
Jan 16, 14 9:00 am  · 
 · 
invorticles

Yes. You can easily apply for multiple sectors in businesses and industry with a civil engineering degree.

Here’s a list of the connecting industries and prospective employers for civil engineering degree holders

CIVIL

* Structural
* Urban and Community Planning
* Construction
* Environmental
* Water Resources
* Transportation and Pipeline
* Geotechnical
* Photogrammetry, Surveying and Mapping
* Materials

Mar 11, 14 12:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: