Archinect
anchor

architecture in "the international" movie

Does anyone know what building that is in "the international" movie that says its on lake iseo?

Aug 12, 09 2:39 pm
gresham

Pretty sure it was

Wolfsburg Science Center by Zaha Hadid

From what I remember from the movie, I think they digitally inserted a mountain or some rock behind the building.

Aug 12, 09 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Is it just me or does that building already look old and dated in that photo?

Aug 14, 09 10:12 am  · 
 · 
simples

zaha is so 2000's...:)

seriously though...wouldn't her aesthetics, on its own nature, date itself???

Aug 14, 09 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Zaha's work to me just seems like a bad scifi movie. Not like an Alien or original Star Wars where the design is pretty timeless. It looks dated by the time it's construction is complete. The first rendering is sleek and kind of cool, but by the time it's done, it looks outdated by the sets on a crappy SyFy Channel movie or a video game.

Her representations are always these swooping, aerial shots that look cool, but I can't imagine how they would produce nice spaces. These things that look like a fine web of mullions are really like 6' concrete beams from the human scale. Nor does magic Rhino-Maya concrete shell exist in real life.

Aug 15, 09 11:48 am  · 
 · 
ocotillo

I've always felt that she built for some as yet unrealized fascist utopia. I don't know her politics at all, but her aesthetic is cold, corporate, almost Orwellian, to me.

Aug 15, 09 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
iphilblue

On an unrelated topic, that movie has some serious camera work!

Thought it would be a lame blockbuster but I think the International is one of the best Hollywood movies of the year (note: emphasis on the word Hollywood)

Aug 20, 09 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
MR. Obsessive

i think there was a podcast on itunes on this topic... u could download it...

Aug 26, 09 10:12 am  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

I think cheesy sci-fi is the design inspiration for many 2nd and 3rd rate high-rise designers, especially in Asia.

In the USA, the prevailing approach is "let's put 6-8 different curtainwall patterns on our box-shaped building to create 'interest' ".

Jun 28, 17 11:49 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

ARTICULATE THE FACADE

Jun 28, 17 2:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: