Archinect
anchor

Gaming & Architecture

j'aime

Does anybody know any schools or offices that have put projects into gaming interfaces, i remember reading once some architecture school was putting all their semester projects into the game "hitman". I also know BIG in denmark have done a project where you can play "Doom" in, from their website......

Aug 7, 09 9:25 am
gresham

When I was at Ohio State U, we did a project where we built environments in Form Z and brought them into Quake. It was fairly straightforward, but the specific steps escape me. Probably the kind of instructions you could find on the internet, though.

there's nothing like firing a rocket launcher at a 3-D model of your project.....

Aug 7, 09 10:29 am  · 
 · 
l3wis

Ha ha, this is such an awesome idea. Sounds like so much fun.

Aug 7, 09 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

Hey, what BIG project is that, j'aime? Where on their website can I look at it?

Aug 7, 09 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
j'aime

jk3hl:
www.big.dk project:Odense Aqua Centre (2001), 2nd slide and press link that says 'play counterstrike'

gresham:
ha, imagine making all the 3d models into a game and the tutors set virtual c4 explosives in the projects they don't like!...a new concept to those crits in the old days where tutors ripped pages off wall and drew all over your drawings in red markers when they were on the wall.....lol

Aug 7, 09 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

Ha ha, that is AWESOME. My boner for BIG architecture just grew a little more.

Aug 7, 09 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
wes thomas

HKS uses the Unreal Engine for real time walk-throughs:

http://www.unrealtechnology.com/case-studies.php?ref=cowboys-stadium

Aug 8, 09 2:13 am  · 
 · 
eigenvectors

buddy and I did that Doom thing on the first version of Doom back in high school, late 90's. There was this "WAD" file you switched out images, plans, etc... with. the coolest adaptation i remember seeing was an Alien game using DOOM's 3D engine.

Aug 8, 09 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
zoroaster

This is kind of old, but might be of interest... someone did a model of Fallingwater in Halflife2, and did a video of it:

http://digitalurban.blogspot.com/2008/07/frank-lloyd-wright-fallingwater.html

The file itself I believe is also available somewhere, if you check sites that have level maps for halflife2...

Aug 9, 09 12:16 am  · 
 · 
orion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbml8gNVX30

This a 3d studio model of an open air sculpture garden in Istanbul that was put into Cryengine 2, the game engine for EA's Crysis. This was designed as a studio project at GSAPP taught by Alistair Gill and Veronika Schmid. We actually got help help from this guy Moe that worked for SOM in NYC. Apparently SOM has been experimenting with gaming engines, or was. I've also heard the HOK has used them in the past a well.

Aug 11, 09 2:34 am  · 
 · 
orion

BTW the video was made by exporting real time gaming footage...no rendering it was amazing. I made that at 9am the morning before my studio final. threw it into after affects and was finished in under an hour. To clarify I modeled it in Rhino, then exported it as a 3ds to 3d studio max because cryengine has a special plug in for max that exports it as a cryengine object. It took us almost the entire semester to figure out all the ins and outs or the game engine while dealing with the theory intensive studio. The game engine also allows you to do some pretty crazy things to materials.

Aug 11, 09 2:40 am  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

The Unreal engine is sick. From what I've heard it's used for all sorts of 3D apps, not just games. I guess that's just where it got its start. Has anyone played Fallout 3? It's got this awesome 1945 "future" version of Washington D.C. Oh, and it's 200 years after the nuclear war between the US and China. And full of zombies and radioactive mutants and murderous drifters. That's some serious architecture + gaming.

Aug 11, 09 10:27 am  · 
 · 
j'aime

thx everybody!

Aug 12, 09 3:33 pm  · 
 · 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQN7yCR7rk0

After a million failed attempts, I've been able to solve the workflow between Revit and Unity

Aug 15, 11 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

When I was at Rockstar Games and studying architecture at the same time, I was assigned to assist in space planning and 3D design of their new studio space TI in Carlsbad, Ca.
On of the things I did, was to take the design model built in architectural desktop - convert it into Maya format, texture it, and then run it in the Red Dead Redemption game engine so that everyone in the studio could test it out on their X-Box systems to provide feedback that we could send to the architects for design revisions.

Aug 16, 11 12:05 am  · 
 · 
dia

There is a company in Brisbane called Real Serious Games that is a collaboration between a civil engineer and a gaming designer ( I think they are husband and wife).

They simulate construction projects using (I think) the Unreal engine and allow companies to test out scenarios. For example, testing out traffic management plans for inner city sites to gauge the best route, by simulating traffic etc. They can then hand over the model in a format that lets anyone involved in the project walk through it and experience it.

So not just the old 4D modelling thing (but they can do that as well) and far more accessible  interactive and immersive. I heard this second-hand from someone who chaired a recent conference on prefab where the director of the company was speaking. Apparently the presentation blew everyone away.

Unfortunately, they don't appear to have an accessible website. But it is definitely a 'value-add' proposition for someone entrepreneurial.

Aug 16, 11 12:40 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: