Archinect
anchor

Gifted Architects & High Intellectual Needs

Jan 8 '14 65 Last Comment
Harshavardhan
Jan 8, 14 8:22 pm

Hi everyone, in particular, gifted architects and good professors,

There are schools where 'Gifted and Talented Students' program is used to target prodigies and those of extraordinary intelligence. This program is also ideal for those who are demotivated, disinterested and struggling with studies owing to the premises that the subject and curricula are too superficial, easy and boring.

Personally, when I first entered architectural degree at UTS, I had simply turned off most of the times due to the fact that it was an average architectural school, and design studio projects were not that complex, interesting and challenging, although very time consuming to make models and very subjective and unpredictable by way of jury's criticisms and feedback. I would consider myself a gifted person in architecture, as well as in art and drawing. Let me reintroduce myself as follows.

At age of four years, I started drawing a lot, very accurately, in meticulous details and precisely, a range of things from tigers to houses, to purely fictional and imaginative stuff. At 6, I drew first time a house using six A3 sheets sticky taped together, a 1/2 metre long ruler and pencil. It was elevation view, inspired by what I saw in the neighbourhood - a McMansion house. Besides drawing human figures, cityscapes of pure imagination, animals, solar systems and robots, I drew a lot of houses in plans and elevations (not sections as I only came to discover this drawing technique at university).

I feel that I draw things to a degree that is comparable to prestigious architects' works, both technically and aesthetically. Until I was 21, I wasn't aesthetically considerate but executed works of art with technical sophistication, flair, geometrical precision and spatial accuracy. Since 21, I became aesthetically sensitive and started looking up forms that emphasise simplicity, elegance and subtlety. As a result, I was disturbed and confused at university where I see everyone draw and design architecture that is postmodernist, highly organic, chaotic and 'ugly', whereas I tend to design minimalist, inorganic, orderly architecture. I feel that architecture is not worth for me, having completed Bachelors and being halfway in Masters, given the lack of architects in the world who are very intelligent, gifted and aesthetically sensitive and who DO NOT party often, design 'crazy' stuff and so on. I seek challenge in architectural career so that I would work at a high, prestigious level, comparing well to that of doctors, lawyers and electrical/biomedical engineers. Studying so far at UTS architecture school was HARDLY intellectually stimulating.

I feel that as a university student in architecture, I am constantly underestimated by professors on my architectural design aptitude. I am also struggling and am an underachiever. Also, much of what was taught is what I consider very easy and something that I don't want to repeat learning over - I have learnt nothing so far - by definition, learning is exposure to something new and never encountered.

To compensate for the loss of time and lack of opportunities to challenge myself as a potentially prestigious architect, I seek architectural books (very authentic, scientific ones) written for very ADVANCED architects/architectural designers, and also architectural workshops/design studios. Which architectural firms in Australia and overseas should I look up where projects are conducted at a very high, challenging level?

In academia, I think, there should be acceleration programs designed to cater for students who were already prodigious in architectural design even before learning the first time at university, to ensure that they are recognised and not underestimated in the first place on their architectural design aptitude, and adjust/redesign curricula to challenge and meet their high intellectual needs.

Anyone?

backbay
Jan 8, 14 9:05 pm

hahahahahahahahahaha

from what i can tell you're lazy, and you're probably not as gifted as you think you are.  gifted people don't need special curriculums in order to succeed.  

zenza
Jan 8, 14 9:28 pm

I was put in a 'gifted and talented' program from 4th through 8th grade.  From my understanding the only requirement was having an IQ above 130.  Thanks to Facebook I'm able to see what my fellow 'gifted' colleagues are up to and most are college dropouts.  

I think those programs are complete BS and produce individuals that feel entitled to great things without having to put in the effort.

If you think you're so great you should do some competitions.

Harshavardhan
Jan 8, 14 9:47 pm

Backbay, good point. I already thought that way before first coming across the fact that in NSW, Selective Schools offer differentiated curricula to cater for gifted and talented students. Definitely, I was insulted or annoyed to see from this that most intelligent people are lazy and do not put in efforts as independent learners - just relying on challenges set by teachers. I wish there is greater fairness and justice for all, especially those who are hard working, perseverant and even doing extremely mundane and boring tasks, thus deserving good rewards in the end.

The ubiquity of GAT programs and intellectual stimulation to cater for those who are increasingly bored is really getting on my nerves, indeed, regardless of whether I am a gifted, intelligent person or not - because I believe that people, however, very intelligent or dumb, should work hard without external sources of inspiration and without expecting rewards. I wish to know how many people in the world are like that, especially those who are self made people and have become extremely wealthy. I have also been annoyed to read somewhere that some people never work hard or apply serious dedication but become multi millionaires.

Zenza, I'm glad to hear that there are many GAT students who become college dropouts.

Anyone?

cg_8
Jan 8, 14 10:38 pm

I would advise against the profession if you do not feel "challenged". If you feel as though the professors should be he ones providing a challenging environment for you, then your approach is incorrect.

Firstly, let me add, I learned very little in school. Having graduated in 2009 in the harsh economical environment, I was laid off the day I earned my masters degree. After that, finding a job was nearly impossible in my regional market. So I decided to start working on my own. It was at that point that I learned nothing in school. Working within out profession as interns and architects is the best way to actually learn. Anyway, thanks to brute force, the help of other architects, and tons of confidence, I learned more my first 4 months of working on my own than the 6 years I spent in school.

Anyway, back to the point.

The project itself is the challenge. The beauty of architecture is that every project is a challenge. The difference in building types is enough of a challenge. If you are not finding yourself researching the building type, or even how other architects approached a specific building types and finding ways to make the built environment better, then you will not be a good candidate as an architect. The one thing about architects is that they can notice the lazy and careless very easily and do not tolerate them. Lazy and careless is really an over generalization of those whom find themselves as unmotivated. We are experts. We aren't intelligent. We are experts. A lot like builders are experts. Mechanics are experts. Plumbers are experts. Once you become a professional, "intelligent" people with no true expertise end up working as baristas. If that is the life for you and that will make you happy, I hope the best for you. May you be happy.

If you want a true challenge. Nothing is more challenging than the intricacies of understanding the process of building. It's long. It's mundane, but a lot of is love it. Every day is a challenge to put our expertise to exceptional use.

Donna SinkDonna Sink
Jan 8, 14 11:12 pm

Nice post, cg_8.

will gallowaywill galloway
Jan 8, 14 11:45 pm

second that donna

challenge comes from within. architecture is not the kind of profession where advanced means more complication or deeper and more esoteric knowledge. If you want to be challenged then any design project is enough to start with.

a nice funny post. Too smart from school but not smart enough to notice that you're missing the actual issues? great irony.

Wabisabi
Jan 8, 14 11:58 pm

In the words of my Swiss professor, directed to a 'gifted' student who wasn't being 'challenged' 

"This means one of two things. You're either a genius or you don't get it." 

DeTwan
Jan 9, 14 12:41 am

I would have to agree with cg_8 that you will feel unchallenged in most if not all collegiate institutions that teach architecture. The colleges are filled with the lazy theoretical types that would rather sit around and smoke a pipe, discussing the theology of architecture and not really get down with the knitty gritty when it comes to designing a building and making it truly compliment the environment it resides in. I am not a prodigy, nor am I the typical theologian that resides in the halls of your ivy league architectural college, but would like to think that I ride the fence somewhere in between.

I was very creative as a child much like you, but as adolescence settled in, I was highly influenced by my friends, alcohol, drugs, and became less interested in being artistic/creative. I have a highly addictive personality and as I matured to adulthood I was luckily smart enough to realize that. As I went to undergrad architecture school I had a renaissance in my creativity. After getting out of school and learning much working in the real world, I lost interest in architecture due to the constant rat race that was set in place and watching my employers freak out about a bottom line. I also went through a major break up with a girlfriend that I was head over heels for in 2009 when my world was crumbling around me not only romantically, but on a level of self identity.

Guess what I started doing? Painting trains! I was highly interested in graffiti and the abstraction of letter forms for years, and with the loss of self it was the best thing that I ever did for myself. The boredom presented by the day in/day out grind of working in a section 8 architecture firm while attending school for my masters degree was smashed by the excitement of using my spatial mapping skills to create my own stylized letter forms and sneaking in & out of rail yards, and places that I really shouldn't have been. I called it 'hunting', because it literally strikes upon this primordial feeling of hunting for a mammoth, which is a feeling that is completely lost in modern times. Not only are you watching out for police and the bulls that guard the tracks, but you will need to navigate the mentally ill, other heads, and inner fears held within. I was luck enough to be stalked by what many ppl consider one of the best graffiti writers of all time, and kicked out of all the rail yards in the locale where he & I was painting. After that experience I was much humbled and I have since looked at life and myself much differently. Although I do not live a perfect life, actually far from that, I found 'myself' through the process. 

Perhaps you should tap upon that inner primordial feeling by doing something you never though you would do, even if that means robbing a bank, or whatever it may be. Sounds like you are a little lost.   

apapaz
Jan 9, 14 3:12 am

I agree with zenza

gruen
Jan 9, 14 8:20 am

Good luck!!! LOL and get back to those toilet room accessory schedules.

Donna SinkDonna Sink
Jan 9, 14 9:02 am

To be a  little more helpful: I was also in G&T from 4-8th grade, but the point of the program wasn't to *teach* us, it was to give us one day a week when we could explore our own self-directed interests and be fostered in that discovery by adults who could guide without discouraging our creative flow.  

You should know how to do this by college. In architecture school, design studio is entirely about finding your own voice.  Frequently very good designers get poor studio grades, not because they don't do good/acceptable projects but because they're lazy and their professor *knows* they can do better.

Jan 9, 14 9:31 am

the holiday season just eneded so these days pretty much everybody is "gifted." f'in wanker

Miles JaffeMiles Jaffe
Jan 9, 14 9:39 am

Listening to the self-described "gited and talented" complain is like listening to the rich whine about money. I'm with Ca$h: Fuck off. 

SpatialSojourner
Jan 9, 14 10:40 am

You should read into Dunning-Kruger effect, it might help you. 

I used to be an ambassador (fancy name for a tour guide) for my architecture college.  I was the go-to person for the administration especially with the "gifted" students they really wanted to recruit.  Most of them were great people but the outrageous comments by them or their parents about them completely revolutionizing architecture always made me cringe.  I usually went along with it because who was I to judge.  Out of all the students I toured, there was no indication at all as to their aptitude for architecture.  I had perspective students who had portfolios with stunning hand drawings/art all the way down to students who's portfolios were not developed.  Seeing the students in studio the next year always was interesting.  Some of the best skilled students at drawing couldn't translate that skill into interesting architecture but those with mediocre portfolios sometimes developed fantastic projects and vice versa.  That being said, the "gifted" students were more likely to drop out in my experience. 

Could you provide a link to your portfolio so that we can provide better feedback as to how to develop your skills?  It's always good that you are trying to always challenge yourself.

jla-x
Jan 9, 14 10:52 am

Einstein, said that genius is 1% talent and 99% hard work. 

A smart person will get further with 100 revisions than a brilliant person will with one or two drafts.  Hard work and rigor is key talent is cheap.  

Nice
Jan 9, 14 10:54 am

Haha, this has got to be a troll right? Once you graduate and enter the real world, you will realize that being "gifted" just kept you sheltered from the rest of the world. You will be lumped in with all the "normal" students and you will realize that being an "underachiever" will not be an acceptable excuse anymore. Sorry to sound harsh but I think you should focus more on becoming an overachiever in order to challenge yourself. Why are professors underestimating your abilities, is it because you cannot explain yourself correctly or maybe your design talents aren't as great as you seem to think they are?

jla-x
Jan 9, 14 10:54 am

Let me revise that.   Talent is not insignificant, but it is the bare minimum to great work. 

chigurh
Jan 9, 14 1:15 pm
jwl
Jan 9, 14 3:42 pm

I can't believe people giving real advise here. 

I'm pretty sure this person is making a condescending stereotype joke aimed at Asian students.

If not - please provide work for critique. 

Xenakis
Jan 9, 14 4:53 pm

Donna Sink

Like Aldo Rossi for ex.

jla-x
Jan 9, 14 4:54 pm

wtf.  not to be mean or anything but you need to "check yourself before your wreck yourself."

humble down a bit dude because that site does not show an advanced architectural mind.   You seem to be a victim of the "every one gets a trophy" millennial culture.  Again, I am not trying to be mean, but your ego will destroy you.  There is nothing such an architecture prodigy.  Architecture takes lots of work.  Most architects do not find their voice until late life.  I used to teach martial arts....I have seen 300 lb. men with huge egos get knocked the fuck out by 130lb women.  No joke.  The first thing I would do when getting a new student that had a huge "tough guy" ego was pair them up with this badass female blackbelt.  (She was fast as hell and unbelievably strong and tough for her size.)  This was not to humiliate them, but to make them realize that they had a lot to learn.  Until that ego was "broken" (sometimes literally) they were incapable of learning.  I suggest that you come to this realization on your own before you learn the hard way.   

Harshavardhan
Jan 9, 14 5:08 pm

Hi, I will take a while to compose a portfolio that includes all my hobbyist artworks and architectural designs, as well as academic works.

Meanwhile, you could check my website Azure: Innovative Artists as follows.

http://harshavardhanart.wordpress.com

Navigate under the section Works, and see all illustrations, hand drawings, architectural designs and so on.

I would say that all these works including architectural renders were done with aesthetics in mind, and had no serious functionality, programmatic and structural quality as architects would incorporate in design.

At university, it is a different story. I do architectural design that is not as aesthetically pleasant or sublime as these artworks but does incorporate structural, environmental and programmatic quality.

However, that's not all. As a potential architect, it is a challenge that I will embrace: to incorporate aesthetics and elegance not at the cost of programmatic, spatial and structural qualities in every architectural design project.

I am happy to receive feedback both on portfolio and the artworks shown on the website.

Thanks

Atom
Jan 9, 14 5:15 pm

You could see the bell curve in Architecture school. The Bright ones and the dim ones left for other professions. If you are bright you will find a more creative field or a more technical field. Don't show up here, in the middle of the bell curve, and expect a solution. Architecture is comprised of average IQ professionals. It isn't rocket science. If they sorted you in school into an elite program you'd graduate out of architecture.    

LITS4FormZ
Jan 9, 14 5:17 pm

I'll just leave this right here...

http://www.meetup.com/Talking-It-Out-A-Mens-Group-Exploring-Issues-Sexuality/members/121369662/

There is no way this thread can be serious. You are disturbingly similar to one of my roommates freshman year. I won't spoil the ending but it did not work out for this "gifted" designer.

Saint in the City
Jan 9, 14 5:19 pm

I hear Bobby Brown by Frank Zappa when I read the thread title and original post.

Harshavardhan MogheHarshavardhan Moghe
Jan 9, 14 5:21 pm

I am now posting here as Harshavardhan Moghe, so that you can click me and view my portfolio (which comprises of academic works only).

I would say, this portfolio is just an average one, and not extraordinary.

backbay
Jan 9, 14 6:19 pm

having looked at the website and portfolio, i think its safe to say that most people on this forum can draw and design better than you.

My 9 year old self could draw 2 point perspective!

Atom
Jan 9, 14 6:23 pm

My 9 year old self could draw 3 point perspective. Spiderman comic books had 3 point.  

Harshavardhan MogheHarshavardhan Moghe
Jan 9, 14 6:54 pm

Thanks everyone for the posts,

Thanks for looking up my website and portfolio and leaving comments.

It seems that most people even young kids can draw and design better than me, although for all the hand drawings on the website I did not use ruler, set squares and protractor at all. The only way to appreciate these website's works is in terms of aesthetics only, and not technical sophistication. However, thanks for the criticism.

This is good to hear. It helps clear the confusion and my inquiries about the general aptitude of architects and laypeople. I am learning to realise that there are many great people out there to interact with, learn from, get inspiration from and compete with.

Until then, I wasn't sure whether by virtue of different, 'non-orderly' and 'inelegant' architectural designs by many peers at university, I should have been working harder or taking it easy in everyday design studio. Now, this really helps, and I am inspired to work harder and take it seriously.

Now it will be a good challenge this time onwards.

Thanks again for the criticisms.

Non Sequitur
Jan 9, 14 7:56 pm

Da fuk did I just click on?

The work on that site no where comes close to scratching the foot of the mountain that the OP's statement's egoism suggested.

SpatialSojourner
Jan 9, 14 8:42 pm

This is exactly what architecture does NOT need.  The profession is already saturated with narcissistic professionals who are myopically creating built manifestations of their egos.  An architect needs to be humble enough to take advice from a non-formally educated millworker or other individual whom has insight into what the architect is trying to create.  One cannot be an expert at all fields in which architecture commixes.  

You blindly try to do damage control by pointing out that you didn't use a straightedge and other tools.  That's no excuse for poor work.  I work for a guy who can whip out sketches and drawings freehand which are stellar but I don't see him showboating his talent.  He is part of the team trying to assist in reaching our goals.   

The most important thing you need to learn is to get rid of that ego.  Your professors, whether they are "gifted" or not are providing you with valuable feedback.  Now LISTEN to them.     

SpatialSojourner
Jan 9, 14 8:55 pm

You need to grab a copy of 101 Things I Learned in Architecture School

gruen
Jan 9, 14 9:25 pm

I am constantly amazed and humbled by how smart dumb people are.

Miles JaffeMiles Jaffe
Jan 9, 14 9:31 pm

I, on the other hand, am amazed at how stupid smart people are.

dia
Jan 9, 14 9:48 pm

Thanks OP for the 90 seconds of mild amusement.

Roshi
Jan 9, 14 9:49 pm

Welcome to Archinect, where your initiation will consist of you being bombarded with heavy criticism of everything you stand for. Your, perhaps blind optimism will be shut down by a few certain forum members who always post nothing but negativity - they know who they are. I think you have a better attitude about your future than most people here care to admit.

I enjoyed looking at some of your colored-pencil drawings. That is all.

OBO Olaf Design Ninja
Jan 9, 14 9:59 pm

oh archinect you sucked me in...I must really be trying to avoid work, hahaha....wife says go get me candy, i'm going to do it, working is such a Challenge, just can't smart my gifted self out of it...why does architecture take SOOO LONG to MAKE H A P P E N...I wish I was smart enough to make building and clients go poof.

Dear Mr. Harshavardhan Moghe,

I actually looked at your work.  The only drawing that was "gifted" was your first b/w image under child work.  It's very Futurismo.  Your university level works SUCKS, no other way to put it.  These days rendering programs can make any geometry look sick, and none of your models do. This could be the University schooling, it brought you down...

There are no such thing as prodigies in Architectures, well at least younger than 50.   If you are a prodigy - you party a lot, bull shit a lot and suck a lot of golf balls through water hoses.  One would hope being gifted as such is not an aspiration.

Architecture is a challenge if you tried to be intellectually accurate when thinking about all the starchitecture theories your professors and jurists mistakenly pretend are important.  They pretend because they don't know, but want a hug from daddy or mommy.  This is the foundation of academic architecture - emotionally fucked intellectuals or stupid people pretending to be emotionally fucked justifying their sporadic moments of theoretical brilliance which are really collages of bad paraphrasing. 

you have 30 years to find out if you are an architectural prodigy and actually gifted.  if you can't develop and learn architecture for the 30 years, we can safely say you were not up to the challenge.

toodles

Quan Nyen Tran
Jan 9, 14 10:56 pm

After reading your initial post and then seeing your portfolio online, I am utterly speechless. 

I am sorry to tell you, but your parents have been lying to you all these years, you are not that special.

You must have gotten a bad critic today, or a "lesser talented" student got a better one and you needed to vent on archinect?  One thing I have learn during my academic year is that never compete with others but rather with yourself. 

For a start, get down from that high horse, stop getting architectural motivations from Mario 64, and just start at being less cocky and more humble.  That right there will make you a better person, student and architect to-be.

Good luck on your drawing skills w/out any rulers, I wish I can be as talented and special as you.  Please post some youtube lessons so we all can learn from the all mighty, talented, and smart Architect to-be.

backbay
Jan 9, 14 11:14 pm

Super Mario 64... thats what it was!  I couldn't put my finger on it.

Quan Nyen Tran
Jan 9, 14 11:44 pm

Bob Ross can be a better inspiration than Super Mario 64.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZAbSV1NCOc

bowling_ball
Jan 10, 14 12:32 am

Best troll ever! Certainly overachieved in that sense.

just remember this truism: "A's work for C's, and B's teach."  This has reflected my experience more accurately than I'd like to admit.

Harshavardhan
Jan 10, 14 12:56 am

Hi,

Can you kindly quit bombarding me with unnecessary criticisms? I am overwhelmed to read all these posts. I feel as if I am a punchbag and have felt somewhat personally attacked. I am not very impressed. All I expected was decent criticisms, and not sarcasm and defamatory comments.

When I set up this thread, the intent was not to show off at all. The intent was for me to get a better perspective on how architects consider the notion of GAT. Also more importantly, it is to understand the different outlooks of various architects, since their childhood through current professional practice.

Somehow, this thread goes on such that there is misunderstanding and hatred.

24arches
Jan 10, 14 4:04 am

Based on what you presented to everyone, you're neither gifted or talented at this point. Big words can't cover up the rather elementary designs you pass off as something only a true genius (or Nintendo game designer) could imagine. A barrage of cheap excuses and rooted persecution complex do nothing for you or your image. 

Stop making new threads questioning the ways of non-geniuses in response to your absolute theory of the world and people will forget in time. Make this a resolution for the new year: master humility and drop the fragile ego because you have nothing to show for it yet. If you're gifted based on what you boast, then many here are architectural demigods in comparison. But that's absurd and so is your constant insistence on being some unrecognized intellectual martyr. 

You can be better but first this superior-than-all-others attitude needs to change. 

gruen
Jan 10, 14 6:28 am

Miles: exactly

Harshavardhan
Jan 10, 14 6:50 am

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the comments. Although some comments were very offensive, I would like to conclude this thread in a positive tone.

Frankly speaking, I am slowly realising that there are many people, including these forum users who are already intelligent and adept in drawing and design. However, let me stress a few important issues. There are some comments which I disagree with, such as calling me as the most inferior of all. These comments are exaggerated, and are not genuine. Whilst I understand that I am not the best person or architect in the world, I do not believe that I am the worst of all architects. Whilst I will definitely make a new year's resolution - changing my 'superiority-complexity' to make myself more humble and modest, I will not let myself lose faith in my inner ability/giftedness in architectural design, which I will have to rediscover by myself. I will try not to compete and compare with other people, except myself, my past and universal standards. I already believe that everyone has an inner giftedness, regardless of their social and institutional constraints. I also believe that the same people, including myself, need to practise a lot and become experienced in order to be good architectural designers.

Nevertheless, I am slowly understanding that my drawings and designs as shown to you on the website are far from extraordinary/interesting. Regardless of many people outside this forum, including university architectural peers who really admired and appreciated my artworks and architectural designs, this forum is an invaluable source of discussion and understanding to me. I was quite offended and annoyed that there were people who were disparaging. Despite that, using this forum is an important turning point in my architectural career. It is that I am rediscovering the world of architects and different architectural perspectives, interests and values.

I also want to clear all the misunderstandings and prejudices about me. I have never partied, and that is the truth. I never drink, never take drugs and never smoke. That is also the truth. I am very visually and spatially inclined, have wild imagination and am aesthetically sensitive. In many places and many times when I see architectural projects, I have actually been disturbed and disgusted with designs by some architects, including prestigious and famous architects. The reason may be a lack of communications with people around, due to my bilateral profound hearing loss and missing out what people say during the architectural design presentations. Also, I am a very hard working person and I struggle a lot. Finally, I never speak ill of anyone, get angry or lose temper at university, and hopefully will never do at work. You may find my thread offensive to people, but that is none of my intent.

Many of my university level works as evident in the portfolio may appear appalling and terrible, but one reason may be that despite being fully patient, humble and respectful to tutors, I still have great difficulties following what people say. There were many tutors who said that I am usually very 'big picture oriented' and I need to 'focus on smaller and simple design tasks at hand'. 

Please note that, I am very determined to become a very successful architect. I have a very long way to overcome many barriers and achieve what I can do and dream of. I hate it when people let me down and make it imperative that I quit architectural career due to my zero design aptitude. This is the worst comment I have ever received. Why would I want to be known as an intellectual martyr? This presumption is purely ridiculous. I am already sensible and intelligent enough to understand and know how ugly a person can be because they are being egoistic, narcissistic, cynical and showy. I never like to have a bad image of myself by showing up myself in these ways. Most of the comments are presumptuous, unnecessary and defamatory. So try to understand!

So, try to understand and show some respect.

Thank you

DeTwan
Jan 10, 14 7:57 am

I still say go try to paint a box cart. Once you have someone with a rusty mower blade chase you through a rail yard you will be humbled.

Non Sequitur
Jan 10, 14 8:19 am

Harshavardhan, words are cheap and cannot defend in lieu or poor work. 24arches above makes an excellent point, try and understand this.

curtkram
Jan 10, 14 9:58 am

your posts comes across, at least to me, in a way that suggests you believe you are more gifted or more talented than the average person in your situation.

i'm curious as to where your pride and self-importance comes from.  did you decide on your own that you have these gifts?  was it a personal discovery where you compared your work to the works of well known artists or architects and you personally came to the conclusion that you did better?  was there external influence, other than family or other biased parties, that are telling you you're a genius and better than most at these tasks?

this is from your portfolio.  i selected this because i like it.  i think you did a good job developing a style, so i'm trying to compare what i consider your strongest work

so did you come to the conclusion that you're especially gifted when comparing to something like this?

i'm going to be honest with you, i don't think you nailed it.

i understand you've seen buildings and sometimes you don't like them.  that's just an opinion.  because you like something different than someone else does not mean you're more gifted than that person.  it just means you like different things, and that's ok.

one more thing to add.  if you're in college now, you're becoming an adult.  it's not your professors job to hold your hand and make you magically learn new things.  they are there to provide the tools and environment you need to learn on your own.  primary education is about educators feeding you the core requirements, such as reading, writing, and math.  you've graduated beyond that, and now is the time for you to discover how to acquire whatever resources you need so you can learn on your own.  the ability to teach yourself will be with you for the rest of your life, and things are going to keep changing so you'll need to keep trying hard to learn new things even when you become old.

good luck on your path towards becoming an architect.

Atom
Jan 10, 14 2:52 pm

This thread goes well with this maxim.

Go to architecture school and learn how to not like things.

Don't take criticism as an emotional assault. See what you can take from it. If you leave the discussion with something unexpected then you got more than you started with.  

• ×Search in:

Please wait... loading
Please wait... loading