Archinect
anchor

Draftsperson Rates NYC

Ben.Silverman

Hello,

I just received a request to bid the drafting for a small renovation project in NYC. I have never bid a project before. Any advice on what a good rate is for a draftsperson in NYC? I'll be using my own computer that is located in my messy, dimly lit bedroom. Does that factor add in to the rate at all?

Thanks

Jul 9, 09 5:24 pm
toasteroven
I'll be using my own computer that is located in my messy, dimly lit bedroom.

I think you should include that on the proposal - but I'd add "in damp basement apartment" and this picture:

then you can charge whatever you want.

Jul 9, 09 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
eigenvectors

if it's for architects charge an hourly. if you have an architecture degree no matter what you charge will be a deal, because you're not really just drafting.

these days...man i don't know, take what you can get.

Jul 9, 09 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
Cacaphonous Approval Bot

yes it factors into the rate as it probably means that you need a home to live in, an office which demands rent, and nobody's paying your health care. whatever you're thinking about, triple it.

Jul 9, 09 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
iheartbooks

40-50 per hour, nothing outrageous.
+ or - depending on your experience, project complexity, and time frame.

Jul 9, 09 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
LB_Architects

What do you mean, "drafting of a renovation?"

Are you literally just surveying and drawing what the client already knows they want to do so contractors can bid and file the work, or is it more than that? Will the drawings you do be used to file the project at the DOB? Will it include construction documents or just schematic plans? Have you already determined how many hours you expect this to take? Are there any liabilities with the drafting? Or will you be writing a contract which specifically indemnifies you from any legal consequences related to the drawings? Do you know who you're bidding against?

If it's an hourly rate, I've seen anywhere between $40 to $160 per hour. I recently did a project for $160/hr in NYC, so I can say it is possible. But you're bidding, so you may need to be much more competitive. I'd never go below $80 or $90, but I'm trying to start my own practice. I know others who wanted the gigs so bad they were willing to cave and offered $55/hr and got the jobs. If it's big enough, it can be quite profitable even at this rate, especially for someone out of work. You need to determine what your time is worth...be sure to indicate that all printing, telephone calls, messenger fees, faxes, etc are not included in the hourly rate and will be marked up by about 10% per item (this is pretty standard).

Good luck.

Jul 9, 09 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
LB_Architects

ANd, you can always say your rate is negotiable, as long as you're comfortable with negotiating your rate down.

Jul 9, 09 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
crave

if it's a small job without much detail, you may want to consider a base fee of say, $1,000. I recently proposed to do the drafting work for a large mixed use project. The owner wanted a number based on the square footage. However, I looked at it from an hourly standpoint, a price per drawing sheet, as well as, the square foot number. On the low end, it worked out to be $60/hour. If the project is smaller...the hourly rate should go up.

Jul 10, 09 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
eigenvectors

the keyword is drafting...now some people will say 'hey i need you to draft this up, and you end up doing architecture', other will do all the work for you and you literally just draft.

you need to determine this first...because if you're actually doing architecture, and drawings are just stamped and files, you better do at least $75/hr...but if you're drafting, dumb no thinking, $20/hr, that's what I'd pay ya.

Jul 10, 09 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

remember people this is just drafting and he is not an architect. Getting even 20 dollars like eigen mentions is pushing it.

Jul 10, 09 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
eigenvectors

i've seen adds for draftsmen at $12/hr...
it's not exactly a high paying job being a drafstmen.

Jul 10, 09 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
LB_Architects

eigenvectors and poop,

Are you in NYC like Beefy? Do you know what the going rates are in NYC? Because if you were, you'd realize that $12 or even $20/hour is a ridiculously low price for even drafting. Some draftspersons get very good money. I had a friend in NYC who did freelance drafting for $55/hr...this was over 4 years ago and there was no "design" involved...just drafting.

Beefy, don't listen to these low-ballers. Just because they undervalue your services doesn't mean you should also.

Jul 13, 09 10:36 am  · 
 · 
poop876

I'll be a draftperson for $55/hr and I'll forget about being an architect!

Jul 13, 09 10:48 am  · 
 · 
Ben.Silverman

ok, so somewhere between $12 and $160/hr, and thats negotiable. Thanks for all the advice. I guess its a bit of a tough question and really depends on the specific conditions of the job and the working situation. Right now I'm thinking of bidding it at $40/hr for the reasons that I am proficient at AutoCad, yet do not have any experience freelance drafting, and at this point any money is good money. I'll let you know how it goes.

Jul 13, 09 10:57 am  · 
 · 
LB_Architects

Beefy, that's reasonable, considering your experience.

I may be wrong, but I think poop and eigenvectors are not considering the increase in taxes required for freelancers. If this is all under the table, then you can lower the fee a bit. But, if it's gonna be taxed, at a certain rate it simply is not feasible for you to freelance at a lower rate.

Jul 13, 09 11:09 am  · 
 · 
Ben.Silverman

That I did not know. I'll do some research on that. Thanks FP.

Jul 13, 09 11:26 am  · 
 · 
LB_Architects

Beefy,

Look up "self-employment tax."

If your gross income from this job is over $400, you need to pay a self employment tax on top of income tax. I think the self-employment tax is 15% or more. So, in some cases, you could be paying up to 45% of your fee back in taxes. Trust me, keep your rates high enough for the freelance work to be profitable, otherwise it's just charity.

Jul 13, 09 11:40 am  · 
 · 
eigenvectors

yes $12 in Brooklyn a couple years ago.
$55 /hr to draft, either all the draftsmen were taken or someone's an idiot - most likely this was during the boom, you know 2 years ago, when anyone and everyone who could draft was designing complete buildings in NYC.

look' i've made $500/hr, but that's not everyday....

Jul 13, 09 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
Ben.Silverman

so what idiot paid you $500/hr?

Jul 13, 09 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

And what cases exactly do you pay 45% tax for being self employed, unless you have medical, insurance, etc. for people under you? And IRS will be after you if you do it year after year with reports of net income being very low but them knowing that the actual profit will be very high. We all know the tax benefits of being self employed and so does the IRS. He is not a self employed person, but just getting a job for some quick cash, so charging a ridiculous amount will not get him anywhere. You will not get the job because I know plenty of people I taught and are currently at Pratt that will draft for $12/hr or so. Plus nowadays for the $45/hr they can get an architect doing the job which will be more reliable and quicker! And its not undervaluing our services, but it's just dealing with reality, which obviously some people don't. If anybody it would be me charging high and putting a huge price tag on my services, knowledge and experience. But there is the real world!

Jul 13, 09 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
eigenvectors

Love it Beefy.

It's called set fees and being really damn good at what you do.

Poop has a point, I could post a Draftment needed position on Craiglist right now at $15/hr and get at least 20 resumes...

Jul 14, 09 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
LB_Architects

poop,

We don't know what Beefy's situation is, so that's why is said, "in some cases, you could be paying up to 45% of your fee back in taxes."

If you think licensed architects in NYC charge only $45/hr, you may not be up to speed on current hourly rates. Even in this economic downturn, rates for a low-level draftsperson are closer to $90 to $120 per hour because they cover salary, benefits, rent, overhead, etc.

Can you find an architect that will do it for less, of course. There are always people out there willing to prostitute themselves for a few extra bucks. But that really is not the norm, and it sets the bar even lower for appropriate compensation in our field.

I really don't care what Beefy decides to do. To each their own. But a question was asked, and I tried to provide an answer based on my experience. I realize you did the same...so at this point Beefy can make his/her own decision.

Jul 15, 09 9:55 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: