Archinect
anchor

Fireplace Mantel

Synergy

I'm looking to build a fireplace mantel for my place and considering options. I could build a wooden one, but am open to other ideas. Please post ideas, images, suggestions, etc.

The catch, it is a corner fireplace, so I want the mantel to make a 90 degree turn. The long leg is about 4 feet long and the short leg about 2 feet long.

Jun 5, 09 1:25 pm
awkeytect

perhaps you could design one

Jun 5, 09 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Ahh yes, sorry. I don't know what I was thinking. Attempting to deviate archinect from its primary mission of architectural hero worship and comparing graduate school programs will invariably lead to such constructive comments as the one you've blessed this thread with.

It occurs to me, I should clarify, the fire place sticks out into the room, so it looks roughly like this.

Jun 5, 09 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Well give us a bit more info here, Synergy!

Wood: do you like Victorian? Craftsman? Modern? What style is the house? Is there an existing hearth, what material is it? Gas or wood fuel? How high are your ceilings? What else is going on in the room, does it have strong horizontal lines in the form of adjacent bookcases, does the chimney have a window halfway up, what's the floor material, is the room open to the kitchen and what does it look like? Do you want to be able to sit near the fire on a raised hearth? Do you have children you want to keep safely away from anything hot? Is it built into a corner like the one you showed or at the end of a projecting wall as is common in modern homes?

Jun 5, 09 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
binary

aluminum with blind rivots and babinga wood

Jun 5, 09 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Thanks Lb,

I'll try to answer these as best I can. Wood: I believe craftsman or modern would work, victorian would be out of place. The home is a 2nd floor condo in a 3 flat red brick building, built in 1891. The floor is oak hardwood with a golden brown stained finish. I believe the ceilings are 9' feet high. The fireplace is wood burning, and has a black stone base (perhaps slate, but quite smooth. It is built into a projecting chimney wall. It is in our livingroom.

I'm looking to add a mantel that could support art objects, photo frames etc. but will also look good and look interesting when unadorned (without things sitting on it). I'm imagining something wooden, metal, stone or a combination and hoping that someone might have seen or thought up something they like and pass along the idea.

I'll try to post a picture when I have a chance to take one later.

Jun 5, 09 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
sharkswithlasers

I'm not sure how it should look -- just make sure it's wide to to fit all your books on Architectural Hero Worship and Graduate School Comparisons.

Jun 5, 09 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Is it possible to get large pieces of Bubinga that could be used to span between supports, or do you think I'd need to work out a scheme with smaller pieces?

I've always thought of it as a wood for smaller decorations and adornments, but I've never personally worked with it.

Jun 5, 09 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

To pull that off, Kurt, I think I would really need to drop a column through my neighbors unit below and pour a spread footing to support the massive load.

Jun 5, 09 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
sharkswithlasers

I like raw steel -- I'm attempting some fireplace work at my own palace.

Jun 5, 09 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
sharkswithlasers

Hah! :-)

Jun 5, 09 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
binary

just visit a local lumber/wood yard that carries the special stuff. you can usually get planks of wood up to 11.25" wide by 4' long or so, depending on the species. some places will also have a planer and a jointer to clean up any rough planks you buy. also consider the densities/humidity of your place when you choose a wood and make sure you seal up the wood to avoid any warping do to moisture. furniture wax is a good product..5-7 coats with slight buffing in between.

Jun 5, 09 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
LucasGray

i don't know exactly what you are looking for here. Do you want one of us unemployed architects to design you a mantle piece for free? If you just want preferences maybe you should google image search "fireplace mantel"

or click here:
Fireplace Mantel

(the above link, by the way, is one of all time favorite websites)

Jun 5, 09 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Kurt,

What type of steel are you thinking of using? are you going to do something to protect against rusting? I can't imagine using galvanized, so maybe stainless?

Cryz,

Thanks for the tips, I'll look into the furniture wax and have to check out what my wood source has in stock. I agree with you on getting something fairly dimensionally stable, maybe I can find a good african wood like the bubinga you mentioned.

Jun 5, 09 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
sharkswithlasers

I like raw plate -- just the nice blackish natural patina. I've used it for transaction coutners, etc. A couple coats of wax and you're basically good... even auto wax works great.

Jun 5, 09 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Talk,

I'm not looking for design documents and I'm not twisting anyone's arm. I'm just looking for people to say things along the lines of "I was at a place a few weeks back and I saw they had built a really cool mantel using and old __________, here is a picture".

I'm also interested in advice on hanging the mantel, materials to consider (or avoid for that matter).

It really isn't that complicated. I don't want hard feelings, I'm not looking to steal your one great fireplace mantel idea.

A couple weeks ago on my way to work I saw my neighbor had thrown out a metal child's bed. It had a metal lattice sort of piece that must have been the footboard or headboard. At the time I thought I might have been able to use it for this, but unfortunately it was gone when I returned (I'm assuming it was collected by a scrap metal recycler, which is good for them).

Jun 5, 09 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Ahh yeah I can visualize that. During my brief stint as an architecture student my friend and I did a large project using plate steel for our final. I remember visiting the metal shop who sold us our raw material, they had Diamond plated every surface in the room, it was hillarious trying to fill out a payment slip on an undulating metal countertop. Sure was shiny though!

Jun 5, 09 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
sharkswithlasers

Yeh, never tried the diamond plate check counter... that's funny.

Jun 5, 09 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
sharkswithlasers

You're an engineer, Syn? Well, dude -- then for sure ya need a big steel mantel...!

Jun 5, 09 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

ahah you know it.

I figure it's possible that it could be used as an occupiable space, so I should probably build it to handle 250psf storage loading with a factor of safety 3. So I figure I'll need connections capable of safely supporting roughly 8,000# of force, not to mention the applied torsion loading. Ah oh... I don't think my wood screws are going to be up to the task.

Jun 5, 09 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell
Here
are
some

we have done, and a picture of a recent one:

This last one is a 4" projection, 3/4" deep ledge, the owners lean large-ish art on it. Four inches is plenty of projection. The third one is a little I section.

Jun 5, 09 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

wow, that second home looks really beautiful, great kitchen!

I like the I section idea, though in my case, I wonder if using a small channel might be easier? If I could come up with a connection I was happy with I could mount it directly to the wall surface. Maybe thru bolts with exposed nuts attached directly to some sort of backing board. There are 6" or 8" misc. channels with 2.5" or 3" flanges that wouldn't be too insane in terms of weight, though maybe a deeper section would provide a better look?

I could also use an angle, which would provide a similar look, minus the bottom flange.

Jun 5, 09 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
LucasGray

I am not angry and didn't mean to offend. I was speaking in jest...giving you a jab in the ribs. I also just wanted to show off that website because its funny.

I wish you all the luck finding examples and then designing and building a fantastic mantel.

sorry for the misunderstanding.

Jun 5, 09 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
Jah is my Co-pilot

May I recommend....

</joke>

Jun 5, 09 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Here are images of the fireplace. The alcove on the right side of the image is for storage of fireplace tools. I'm also interested in replacing the shiny black stone/ceramic that is the trim around the fireplace. Also, please forgive my cat in the second image...he insists on getting into nearly every shot. Also, please forgive my lack of a beautiful, photogenic fireplace.

Link

Link

Jun 7, 09 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Frank Lloyd Wright was a master at incorporating fireplaces into his homes.  If you want to go the whole nine yards check this one out. Wright was a better brutalist than the brutalists (when he wanted to be).

Jun 30, 16 6:51 am  · 
 · 

Oh man, Mary zombie thread self-promotion fail. Where's the link?

Jun 30, 16 8:47 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: