Archinect
anchor

importing sketchup into rhino

crgixxer

I have the misfortune of taking over the modelling of a project where the initial massing was done in in sketchup (UGH!), and I want to continue the job in rhino (swoon!) At leat the model was created with proper layers and such which should facilitate things.

It all seems to import alright, but everything is coming in as blocks, and I having a tough time editing them without exploding everything. How do I edit the block to redefine materials without exploding it all? or can I? I'd rather have everything as groups than blocks since this method seems to work better in rhino.

Jun 1, 09 4:02 pm

i used to export to 3d max then import to rhino from that... used to preserve layers without making everything a block or thousands of tiny polygon meshes. that might work... its been a long time since i touched sketchup...

Jun 2, 09 12:31 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

install the block editor from the lab page

http://en.wiki.mcneel.com/default.aspx/McNeel/RhinoHomeLabs.html

or use v5

Jun 2, 09 3:35 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes
link
Jun 2, 09 3:36 am  · 
 · 
l3wis

Uhh, as a Rhino noob - can you get pretty quality models by importing from SketchUp? I'm much, much faster and proficient in SketchUp at this point in my self-education, so if this is a viable technique it would really help with some visualization stuff.

Jun 2, 09 9:39 am  · 
 · 
architect_hp

Hey I had a question to add to this - is it possible to work on these sketch-up blocks/modify them using Grasshopper?

Mar 17, 15 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

Antisthenes

I don't see the block editor I really need to import a sketch up file to rhino. Every time I import the file I get a error message.

never mind I see it rhino lab

Jul 14, 15 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

Never mind again, I was able to figure it out it was a problem with rhino 4. I am only able to do it with rhino 5.

Jul 14, 15 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

I've never had any problems going from SKP to Rhino. But then again, that's because my SKP models are immaculately pristine. So no cleanup is ever necessary.

Rhino to SKP, on the other hand, is more than a little problematic.

Jul 16, 15 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

skp to rhino is easy. For rhino to skp, if the model is all orthogonal, export as dxf then import into skp.

Jul 16, 15 6:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: