Archinect
anchor

Any examples of 3-story townhome projects in LA?

greenlander1

I'm doing some research on mid-end townhomes. Preferably 3-story but would like to see some 2-story ones also.

I know of the Rock Row project which looks fantastic and some other developer slop in Ktown but was curious if anyone knew of other projects that were notable.

May 19, 09 5:31 pm
citizen

Sun-Tech townhomes in Santa Monica (ca. 1980), SE corner of Pearl and 28th.

Also, there are many of the "upside-down" section type, built in the 1980s on the west side and maybe elsewhere...

3 - mezzanine
2 - living, dining, kitchen
1 - bedrooms and baths
0 - garage

I have a "GA Houses" at home with many of these listed; I'll try to remember to post more info later. Meantime, try searching for Michael Folonis, architect...

May 19, 09 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
greenlander1

Thats interesting. Living/ dining on top? Havent seen that yet.
now is the mezz just a deck area?

May 19, 09 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
greenlander1

Oh and I forgot, one type of project that I am particularly interested in seeing is something that was built within the last 5-10 yrs, type 5 construction.

But I am generally interested in seeing townhomes in general.

Has anyone seen stacked 2 story townhomes in LA? Like say 4 stories of housing of 2 level townhomes + 2 level towhomes? I figure that would require podium construction.

May 19, 09 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

In the upside-down section, the top level is normally a smallish mezzanine (and small outdoor deck) overlooking the double-height living room below. This keeps the top level from being considered a third floor; rather, it's only a mezzanine of the 2nd floor.

May 19, 09 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
greenlander1

ah i see. So is parking below grade, making it effectively a 2-story building?

May 19, 09 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

usually 1/2 level below grade, with sufficient perimeter area brought up with planters and walks.

May 19, 09 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
b4g
http://www.lehrerarchitects.com/res/norton/06.htm

Technically a four story townhouse project in west hollywood but similar to what you are looking for.

May 20, 09 2:00 am  · 
 · 
greenlander1

thats interesting. I havent seen anything like that before in LA. Those are huge townhomes. Cant even imagine how much they wanted for them especially since they were in weho

May 20, 09 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
historichomesla@aol.com

Sun Tech Townhomes at the corner of  28th and Pearl streets in Santa Monica, erected in 1981, have 4 levels--the fully habitable roof being the 4th level. It won the AIA National Honor award in 1983 for Multiple Family Housing. The roof was a breaking of Santa Monica's condo ordinance which allowed only 3 levels plus a subterranean garage because it provided the second exit via the roof and tubular steel escape ladders and concrete stairs--fully integrated into the design. It was designed in High Tech style as a European village with internal "streets" running among the four buildings in muted pastels.

Jul 8, 16 9:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: