Archinect
anchor

Why Interior Design is important or not?

Lucasch

What makes Interior Design important, what is the difference between ID and decorating and do interior designers design huge projects such as airport interiors, hotel interiors and so on or it is the job of architects...

Dec 14, 13 6:08 pm
Beepbeep

Interiors people design large scale environments. In my experience once you get into the firm (well most firms do arch + interiors) much of the jobs and tasks become blended, the architects probably do not do as much of the FFE sepc but from what I have seen both the architects and interiors personnel do the drafting and share in the design. At the lower level it seems both are drafters / red line machines. However MOST of the interiors programs do not seem as rigorous or as conceptual as architectural programs and most of the interiors people I have worked with seem to be more realistic.  I have degrees in both seems to be a good mixture.

Dec 14, 13 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

^ I disagree that ID just design large scale environments. Looks at homes. In general, residential projects are much smaller in scale than commercial projects. For me, its not a question of whether or not ID is important, but whether or not ID is separate from architecture. I don't see it as such. Natural lighting for example, or the effect of natural lighting, the placement of openings on the exterior, and the sequence,procession, or circulation through a space is entirely a function of architecture and not ID. You can argue that ID is responsible for the ambiance or "feel" of the interior environment, but that is secondary to creating the actual environment. The decision of what color, texture, or piece of furniture to put in a space is important, but those decisions are simply decorative in comparison to the Architecture (big A)...

Dec 16, 13 7:55 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

architecture is architecture. it's a regulated profession.

an interior designer is different.  they don't typically have the rigorous credential requirements an architect has.  ID is a small piece of what an architect is expected to understand.

Dec 16, 13 9:10 am  · 
 · 
MyDream

I think that Interior Design can be a extremely important compliment to architecture depending on the designer. Architects make furniture and built in features to accommodate their designs. 

Dec 17, 13 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Around here it's seems like it's a semantic distinction used to marginalize, belittle, or devalue folks during arguments about why architects don't like IDs.

In reality, an ID can design anything in a building until it needs a stamp and, if they work for a registered architect, can even design that which requires a stamp provided the RA they work for ensures and accepts the responsibility of it being correct.

Dec 17, 13 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

so, an architect can do what an interior designer can do.  an interior designer is limited in how far they can go, unless they get an architect to babysit them.

Dec 17, 13 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Let's see, architects don't like interior designers, civil engineers, structural engineers, artisans, contractors, tradesmen, landscape architects, planning commission members, corporate clients, individual clients, the public at large, or other architects. Think I have got it now.

Dec 17, 13 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Don't forget themselves. Self loathing is required.

Dec 17, 13 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

lol

Dec 17, 13 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Saying an architect can do anything an interior design can is like saying civil engineers can do anything an architect can do. Which is technically true. Actually, interior designers can do many specialty projects on their own while architects cannot get many buildings built themselves, they need an engineer. Furthermore, although architects are led to think THEY are the necessary stamp to getting a building project approved the truth is in many jurisdictions an architect is not needed. Only larger cities really require an architect (I used to work for a civil engineer in a small city and we did "architecture" projects all the time.) 

Dec 17, 13 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i will rephrase then,

architects and engineers are allowed to do things interior designers are not allowed to do, based on the approval process required in many municipalities.

Dec 17, 13 6:00 pm  · 
 · 

ID = Industrial Design

Interior Design = Inferior Decoration

Dec 17, 13 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
DMS-USA

"unless they get an architect to babysit them."

No... Unless they don't have the gumption to go get an Architect's license themselves.  Nothing stopping 'em except a little time, money and effort.

Dec 18, 13 12:01 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Oh come on.  If an ID only wants to do ID why would they need an arch license.  That's silly.  

Dec 18, 13 12:09 am  · 
 · 
DMS-USA

jla-x

<chuckle>... Yeah, I suppose.  Shoulda' added some <snark> tags to my post!

I know some real good interior designers that bring a lot to the project, actually.  I've got one friend who is a color master... Better than myself, for sure.

For me, it doesn't matter who/what the team is comprised of.. As long as it's a good team.

I just chaffed at the 'babysitter' characterization.  If that's how an ID feels, then they've got a confidence problem, which would of course become a career problem operating in a world of individualists.

Dec 18, 13 12:40 am  · 
 · 
lighting-guru

I believe that lighting os one of the most important aspects of good interior design planning. Lighting can create a great atmosphere or no atmosphere at all. Especially with accent lighting you can create so called "light islands" which adds up to the well being - Eventually you want to round up your decor with a great decorative chandelier or pendant light to ad some wow effect.

Mar 29, 14 8:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: