Archinect
anchor

NewSchool in San Diego?

student123

I got into NewSchool in San Diego and was trying to look up information about it on the net. Does anyone know anything about this school? Also, I got on the waiting list at SCI-Arc and I have no idea how long their waiting list is. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Apr 9, 09 2:17 am
difficultfix

You won’t really find much info about Newschool other than online advertisements. I can tell you a little about what I know about the school - since I happen to be a student there. The program in the past has not been too great - but it has been improving. The school is under new ownership which is helping make all the needed changes (Library expansion, Improved Computer Labs + Software, Increased Shop Resources [Giant Laser Cutter + CNC]). There are also seems to be more professors that go out of there way to try and give you the best education. Which can be seen in the quality of work that is being produced from some of the more recent students compared to students from the past (NOT ALL, but a few that I have seen). As some one who needs to provide for his family while going to school - Newschool was not a bad option. I have worked fulltime pretty much the whole time I have been at NSAD (not easy but do able). Back in 2005 I Spoke to Bill Simonian at Sciarc during a tour and if I remember correctly he told me - that it was not possible for students to work in their first couple of years at Sciarc, but only because the classes were scattered through out the day. I am not sure if this exactly true (so don't quote me on it).
If you are planning to not to work while in school - and get the opportunity go to Sciarc. As everyone know Sciarc has a strong rep - with much more available resorces.

DF

Apr 9, 09 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

If you need to work while in School - Newschool would not be a bad choice

Shoot me an email if you have specific questions you need answered

Apr 9, 09 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
rethinkit

I went there for the M.Arch program, and graduated in '06 - like difficultfx says, it is good if you need to work full time. I worked full time as a 3D environment artist for a video game studio while attending NSAD. Between school(studio), and work I was basically doing 3D modeling 80 hours a week using Maya on the job, and at school. I eventually got a job in San Francisco at a big architecture firm performing production with Revit. Revit 2010 will incorporate the modeling features from Maya.
Getting back to NSAD - between the professors, and what you are willing to put into it is what really counts. The resources are all there.
In my class, there were student from both Berkeley and SCI-Arch that wanted an education that was more pragmatic so they could get jobs after graduation. True NSAD does stress constructability more.

Apr 9, 09 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

I kind of like their studio set-up.. you walk right out and into an MTS trolley :)

Apr 9, 09 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
.zXy.

well, i am only an undergrad... i like the school. it is not very conceptual like sci-arc, but NSAD stresses real world architecture more, but you can still try very conceptual architecture. For me, NSAD is home because it is only about 400 students, and everyone basically knows everyone. I always ask the upper-class for advice, and they are always willing.

Not sure if you are applying to Master's of Undergrad... but I know they are doing A LOT of changes to the curriculum. There are very talented people but there are also your slackers who just do minimal work to get by, i think that is everywhere though.

they are also in the process of adding newer programs like a BS in Digital Media Arts, BS in Construction Management, and Master's of Landscape Architecture. Which will be cool, so we I can take construction management classes.

not sure when, but there will be a new website up for the school that will have WAY more info that will show student works and updates, etc.

Apr 11, 09 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
student123

Thank you for the information. I am applying for a M.arch I degree and these comments have confirmed my impressions of these two schools.

Apr 12, 09 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
.zXy.

no problem... have you visited both schools?

if you have anymore questions just ask!

Apr 12, 09 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

Having spent my time at NSAD - I can say with all confidence that it is the least organized, completely $ driven, populated with unqualified professors, useless classes and the students display an array of different skill levels yet are all supposedly the same year.

Let me point out the school President Steve was fired from his last University position after being caught with prostitutes, note he is still good enough for NSAD.

The new Dean Genik's arrogance will be welcomed at NSAD as I found most Prof's to be of the same disposition. 1st year Master's Studio Head -Alan used to say ever architect thinks he is god. Alan sure thought he was despite not having any US architecture degree and working on one theoretically motivated waste protest student build in Mexico.

I'm glad Genik will stand up to his Prof's and give his opinion he is the most talented individual the school employs! The Dean of the Architecture Master's program Kurt Hunker was totally cowed by them. Even when the Prof's broke school policies he would protect them instead of admitting a student was wronged.

Every NSAD class is told that their year's work is the most incredible they've seen yet. You must be rather slow to truly believe them. Yeah yeah ra ra - go your school - please do share these feelings in job interviews - it will leave more positions for trained architects

Since you seem to like NSAD and probably plan to stay through your degree since their credits aren't accepted anywhere else (I wonder why)... you should WORRY that NSAD is still having problems with NAAB accreditation board! That started two years ago - they had to overhaul all their curriculum, syllabi, have class sit-ins/reviews by the accreditation board and student catalog requirement and rule changes just to get an extension when I was there!!

WORRY that you still aren't even guaranteed an actually widely accepted degree despite $35K a year tuition! WORRY that they will fail and your money went down the drain. I think they play off the NewSchool in NYC's reputation to sucker people into thinking it is a good school.

Dec 20, 10 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

I hate the name because every time I read it... I always think about Parsons (New School).

I get excited that maybe Parsons finally has an architect program. Then I die a little when I remember that this place is Sci-Arc V.2.

Dec 20, 10 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
.zXy.

we all hate the name, they actually plan on changing it, but we just had our NAAB review so they did not want to at the time... and um, Parsons does have an architecture program. lol

and we are definitely not a sci-arc. You can go any route you want, but the school is more practical.

Dec 20, 10 5:59 pm  · 
 · 

sorry for butting in for this one time but just to set the record straight, the real deal on architecture school newness in america was later called SCI Arc (photo: circa 1972-73)

Dec 20, 10 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
.zXy.

oh and about our president... he is MORE than qualified. Because he was caught with prostitutes does not undermine his ability to lead. It does look bad, but I talk to him a lot and I like him as a person and a president.

(the article below is old, btw)
Dr. Steve Altman is a renowned professor of the University of Florida in the United States. He was born October 24 of the year 1945 and always knew he had a strong passion for learning. While being bright, Dr. Steve Altman also had a directive personality and was a man others looked up to. He met his first wife Judy Ovandenko shortly before accepting a job at a local university in Florida. His career began as a professor in the field of business relations where he quickly stood out from the rest. While later serving as a part-time administrator for several years, Dr. Steve Altman held several important positions as Dean in the University of Southern California, Florida International University, and Texas A & I University. He specialized in Medical Telecommunications and was known for his dedication and extensive knowledge of the subject. His career began in the year 1969 at the University of Southern California as Assistant Dean for the School of Business. Dr. Steve Altman had a strong command for leadership and was frequently offered administration positions in important Universities across the nation. In June of 1991 he accepted precedency at the University of Central Florida.

Dec 20, 10 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

Apparently, they do.

(Foot in mouth.)

And their selected student work is excellent.

Dec 20, 10 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
metal

might as well be called College Inc., like the PBS doc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNCDtoBeUZ4

Dec 21, 10 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

I think a lot of San Diegans get confused between NSAD and Woodbury? How do the two stand up against each other. They're both for-profit trade schools as far as i can tell.

Which begs the question... why doesn't San Diego have a real arch school.. and has not had one since Atkinson killed Santos' program at UCSD in 1992.

Dec 22, 10 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
sofia k

The New School has nice studio spaces and I heard that this year the new Masters program head of department at the New School is a professor from SciArch.

Dec 22, 10 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
jarvvy

I graduated from the masters program last year. Your education is what you make of it at NewSchool. I'm very happy with the education that I got but I had many frustrating moments.

You need to be proactive - if you have a bad teacher then switch classes, if you don't like a studio assignment then propose a new one to your instructor, if you don't like how thesis is structured then organize your class to change it. You will find both teachers and students that could be at any top program in the world and teachers and students that have no place in architecture.

It is small enough that you can get the attention of the best teachers and they will listen to you and those interactions will define your education there. Bottom line - all the resources are there.

Dec 23, 10 12:43 am  · 
 · 
interiordesignit

I just applied to NSAD, As an undergrad transfer. I need all the help I can get...Not to get off topic, but NSAD or OTIS or Woodbury university? For interior architecture, those are somewhat my options....

Mar 21, 15 8:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: