Archinect
anchor

>>>nature >>>architecture >>>nature >>>architecture

Nature + Architecture = Corinthian Capital

Nature + Art = "Untitled (Structure Eating Lettuce)" by Giovanni Anselmo

http://www.wikipaintings.org/en/giovanni-anselmo/untitled-sculpture-that-eats-1968

Nov 28, 13 6:02 am
snooker-doodle-dandy

Kos Scarpa Kos Meet Glenn Small, Father of Green Architecture.

Nov 28, 13 9:32 am  · 
 · 
Kos Scarpa Kos

>>>the major difference between my concept and his concept is that I exclude the green-jungle-Tarzan for any project :))) 

And now, onto my "green". I haven't the intention to do anything definitive here more point out the various different ideas that have led us to where we are today... in the beginning of the architectural orders there was 1 capital, and it was “green-acanthus”: Corinthian Order, to be precise...

Dec 14, 13 11:37 am  · 
 · 
Kos Scarpa Kos

>>>untitled capital

Dec 17, 13 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
Kos Scarpa Kos

<<< trying to figure out  what  doodle-dandy looks like... then who knows maybe  d-d is 1 true Byron!  Please clarify, I always find your post very Byronesque

doodle-dandy?

Dec 17, 13 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
Kos Scarpa Kos

Look up Louis Sullivan and spend the rest of your winter trying to figure out his unique designs.

Makes Corinthian columns look like a bunch of weeds.

Dec 30, 13 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
Kos Scarpa Kos

Peter - that also brings me to the point that architectural details reveal the architect's intentions and his method.
Architects typically use either "inductive" reasoning, that is thinking forms from details to a general principle, or "deductive" thinking, that is resoning from a principle-project to various potential single elements...
Sullivan versus Hadid?

Jan 5, 14 11:13 am  · 
 · 

Callimachus (flourished 5th century bce) Greek sculptor - perhaps an Athenian, reputed to have invented the Corinthian capital after witnessing acanthus leaves growing around a basket placed upon a young girl’s tomb. 

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Callimachus-Greek-sculptor

Jun 16, 17 6:33 am  · 
 · 
z6jbishop

ello

Jun 16, 17 10:12 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Jun 16, 17 8:24 pm  · 
 · 

The origin of the Corinthian capital.

The Greek sculptor and architect Callimachus is credited with inventing the Corinthian capital, which Roman architects erected into one of the Classical orders. The attribution comes from Vitruvius’s "On Architecture" (book IV): 

“It is related that the original discovery of this form of capital was as follows. A freeborn maiden of Corinth, just of marriageable age, was attacked by an illness and passed away. After her burial, her nurse, collecting a few little things which used to give the girl pleasure while she was alive, put them in a basket, carried it to the tomb, and laid it on top thereof, covering it with a roof-tile so that the things might last longer in the open air. This basket happened to be placed just above the root of an acanthus. The acanthus root, pressed down meanwhile though it was by the weight, when springtime came round put forth leaves and stalks in the middle, and the stalks, growing up along the sides of the basket, and pressed out by the corners of the tile through the compulsion of its weight, were forced to bend into volutes at the outer edges. Just then Callimachus, whom the Athenians called katatêxitechnos for the refinement and of his artistic work, passed by this tomb and observed the basket with the tender young leaves growing round it. Delighted with the novel style and form, he built some columns after that pattern for the Corinthians, determined their symmetrical proportions, and established from that time forth the rules to be followed in finished works of the Corinthian order.” (source: onlyartists)

Jun 17, 17 3:48 am  · 
 · 

... Chris- the order’s origin described by Vitruvius problematizes the notion of “classical order” and reveals aspects of creation that cannot be grasped without a reflection on the nature-culture dichotomy. To me, it shows the role of randomness in creative process, with interesting correlations with contemporary Giovanni Anselmo’s “Untitled (sculpture eating lettuce)”…

Jun 22, 17 11:51 am  · 
 · 

Yeeeeeeeeaah about that........

Jun 23, 17 11:04 am  · 
 · 

Acanthus - from the Great Herbal of L. Fuchs

Jun 24, 17 5:17 am  · 
 · 

@fictional\_/Christopher

L-systems were introduced and developed in 1968 by Aristid Lindenmayer, a Hungarian theoretical biologist and botanist.

L-systems have also been used to model the morphology of a variety of organisms and can be used to generate self-similar fractals...

book

Sep 14, 17 7:01 am  · 
 · 

>>>the Greek sculptor, perhaps an Athenian, reputed to have invented the Corinthian capital after witnessing acanthus leaves growing around a basket placed upon a young girl’s tomb.

>>>C + Corinthian. >>>engraving

Jul 20, 18 5:43 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

when I was a kid, we used to suck the flowers of acanthus for sweet syrup.

Jul 20, 18 11:16 am  · 
 · 

>>>drawing 86DSK

>>>nature/architecture: Giovanni Anselmo, Untitled (Sculpture That Eats) + The Origin of the Corinthian Order

https://archinect.com/kosscarp...

Aug 29, 18 6:53 am  · 
 · 

https://archinect.com/kosscarp...

>>> 1 doll and little things inside the basket...

“It is related that the original discovery of this form of
capital was as follows. A freeborn maiden of Corinth, just of
marriageable age, was attacked by an illness and passed away. After her
burial, her nurse, collecting a few little things which used to give the
girl pleasure while she was alive, put them in a basket, carried it to
the tomb, and laid it on top thereof, covering it with a roof-tile so
that the things might last longer in the open air"

Jun 20, 20 3:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: