Archinect
anchor

M.Arch 1 portfolio critic

polarcracker

Hi Archinect friends,

This is my second version of portfolio for M.Arch1 application. I've made a lot of changes based on your comments before which include both content and layout.

http://issuu.com/polarcracker/docs/folio1.5

Also, any C&C are more than welcome!

Nov 23, 13 8:53 am
24arches

That thin text beneath the bold is really hard to see. Go with regular instead of what seems to be Helvetica Light or one of those lightweight variants.

The way you explain everything feels like some undergraduate research paper. Define some text boundaries so the eyes don't get lost trying to portion each segment of the project. Some of the arrows look distorted and plenty of them are not necessary at all. Not sure why the sneakers needed a dozen variants of itself--be confident someone will understand your intent. A single focal point is better than ten distractions.

Textual things: justification, not having words bre-aking like that. Be laconic with the descriptions (you used "juxtaposed" twice in one spread and it feels like grasping for big words). Did you really create the illusion of space with that two-dimensional room sketch? Again, don't need to fluff it up so excessively. The first-person narrative gets tedious after the first few pages--we know it's yours so feel free to bypass the I's and go into livelier informal/formal writing. 

Nov 23, 13 11:41 am  · 
 · 
Aka115

In the first weaving project, get a shot of interior from the perspective of users. Photoshop in people and show the viewer what it is like to be in the space instead of aerial shot and total form.  Or you could approach the project as how people are interacting with this sculptural form and be mindful of the scale as well. Hope it helps and good luck

Nov 24, 13 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
sanat

I'm applying for M.Arch 1 and i'm currently working on my portfolio as well. This really helps. thank you guys! 

@polarcracker Goodluck! did you get in?

Mar 20, 14 8:57 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: