Archinect
anchor

Which name do you like better?

observant

HUSOA (Harvard University School of Architecture) or HUSOD (Harvard University School of Design)?  Feel free to explain.  And why haven't they gotten a clue thus far?

Happy Friday!

Nov 22, 13 10:29 pm
Non Sequitur

Anyone can be a designer, just pick up a few design mags at the corner store. Therefore if the school teaches architecture, it better have it in its name.

Nov 23, 13 11:17 am  · 
 · 
observant

Thanks, NS.

The thread idea, and joke, was more about my long-standing disdain for its referring to itself as GSD, without needing add Harvard, as if it was the ONLY architecture/design school in the land, while HBS and Harvard Law use the Harvard name to label the #1 b-school and law school in the U.S., respectively.

Pretentious people sit on a toilet and take a shit just like everyone else.  I don't think they know that, though.

Nov 23, 13 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
archinet

"The Graduate School of Design" is the most pompous name for an arch. imaginable. HUSOA sounds better. 

Nov 23, 13 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Observant, agreed, I've always found GSD an odd name for the same reason... there are what, 2 if not 3 more schools in the country? Perhaps they should name it the Kanye-West GSD.

Nov 23, 13 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

the only 2 or 3 other arch programs that matter are also in the greater Boston area... Harvard's the only one that doesn't have an undergrad program.  makes sense to me.

Nov 23, 13 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

Wait, there are other schools?

Nov 23, 13 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

I kinda like the GSD,short and sweet. It's not the name its the people that choose to make it pretentious or not. And I dont think pretentious people sit down and take a shirt these days , I think they only "cleanse" haha

Nov 23, 13 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
spqr

btw Harvard does has an undergraduate concentration in architecture

Nov 23, 13 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

The term "school" seems inappropriate when used with "university". The word school conjures up images of grade schoolers finger painting. If the idea is to demonstrate a subsidiary within the university the word "college" would seem more appropriate, as in the Harvard University College of Architecture and Design (HUCAD) or College of Architecture and Design at Harvard University (CADHU). it is going to be referred to by it's acronym anyway so the acronym needs to roll off the tongue easily.

Nov 24, 13 9:40 am  · 
 · 
spqr

No that's not true because in the northeast the word "college" denotes "undergraduate" and school denotes "graduate." This is why some universities have both a College of Arts & Sciences and a School of Arts & Sciences, the former being a division within the latter.

Nov 24, 13 10:22 am  · 
 · 
observant

I can roll with HUCAD.  However, since it sounds vocational (CAD), I think its forefathers would be rolling in their graves.  But I like it.

Nov 24, 13 10:27 am  · 
 · 
natematt

HUCAD does have a nice ring to it

Nov 24, 13 11:14 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: