Archinect
anchor

Why won't you (the public) LIKE what we (Architects) propose?

BulgarBlogger

I think the general public and developers (for the most part) have sh**y taste, and since it is ultimately the client who accepts a design, it is the public and not the architect who (for the most part) is responsible for our built environment. Why doesn't the client/public just place a little more weight on our training and accept that we may have a more informed perception on what is better design?

Nov 15, 13 12:14 pm
chatter of clouds

We apoligize. The Public is currently out of order pending the overhaul of the entrenched Reagan/Thatcher legacy. We apoligize. The Public is currently out of order pending the overhaul of the entrenched Reagan/Thatcher legacy.We apoligize. The Public is currently out of order pending the overhaul of the entrenched Reagan/Thatcher legacy.We apoligize. The Public is currently out of order pending the overhaul of the entrenched Reagan/Thatcher legacy.

Nov 15, 13 12:20 pm  · 
 · 

Huh?  What?  Why even care what the public wants?  Architects are gods & men who dare to walk amonngst gods, not pr-addled poosies.

Fuck the hoi polloy!

Nov 15, 13 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
surixurient

because it often looks like this http://cdn.furniturefashion.com/image/2009/07/modern%20architecture%20tna%20architects.jpg

Nov 15, 13 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
Roshi

What is taste?

Nov 15, 13 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Suri, that a neat house. I'd like to know how its inhabitant feel about it rather than some idiot commenting on a site living thousands of kms away. Even with a possible language barrier, I am sure it would be a far more entertaining and enlighten conversation than what every dribbles from you on any given day.

Nov 15, 13 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

That's an awesome house. 

Why is the public so lame? 

Suri, I googled you and you design lame shit. Just sayin. 

Nov 15, 13 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
surixurient

That is an awesome house?  

Please.

And nothing I have designed is available from a google search.

Nov 15, 13 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

hahaha, you just don't know how to google search. 

Nov 15, 13 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

here's some of your lameass "design"

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/198180/heroscape-master-set-rise-of-the-valkyrie

hmmm....keep up the good work there kid. 

Nov 15, 13 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Oye... terrible work. I can do better with perhaps 2 or 3 swoops.

Nov 15, 13 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
trip to fame

Attacking the messenger. Classy. 

Nov 15, 13 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
surixurient

First of all, that 'design' is a game, second, unless you know the rules of the game you couldn't possibly be able to judge how lameass it is, and third, is pulling up random crap I have posted to the internet really useful to this discussion? 

Nov 15, 13 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

But isn't that what you do? Pull up random crap and attack it? Maybe you don't know the rules of the game. Oh wait, you don't actually. Go back to your dungeon troll. 

Nov 15, 13 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

What on earth makes you think architects generally have better taste than anybody else? There is absolutely nothing to suggest that this is true.

Nov 15, 13 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

gwharton, I agree with you. I am humbled by the insight my clients have. But they don't all like traditional architecture. 

Nov 15, 13 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

sometimes the principal at my firm does renderings for the sake of disproving a client's notion about what is a good idea... The client ultimately agrees with the principal and moves on to going with the principal's suggestion...

This thread serves exactly the same purpose as its converse... it is stupid for the sake of proving how stupid the topic is in the first place. 

Nov 15, 13 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
surixurient

What I pull up is topical gruen.

Nov 15, 13 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

gwharton, if you spend all day every day thinking about buildings because that's your job, you're probably going to know more about buildings than someone who just rants on the internet in their spare time.

you could totally interject classical design into 40k.  there isn't anything limiting your creative potential in that environment.  you're just too focused on the ruleset, and forgot about the symbolism and the story your telling.

Nov 15, 13 3:11 pm  · 
 · 

ok since i'm famous here for speaking the absolut truth, there it is:

you people are nutcases.  I'm outof here. enjoy your weekendz you miserable peoplefuckerz !

Nov 15, 13 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
surixurient

Thanks handsum, see you later, try not to forget your meds next time.

Nov 15, 13 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
surixurient

That wasn't 40k, it was a game that uses stack-able plastic hex pieces to build the gameboard, and is extremely limiting insofar as aesthetic design, strategic design is what board building is about and building a board that will allow for an interesting match. Symbolism and storytelling is not the goal, as it often is with actual architecture.  

Nov 15, 13 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

You mean you were doing something limiting and now you are defending the result?

Gasp. 

I wish I had unlimited budgets.

Nov 15, 13 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
surixurient

I'm defending the results of something completely unrelated to architecture.

Nov 15, 13 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
surixurient

To get back on topic, examples of what gets built when the public is not involved in the design process.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2012/12/24/arts/24STEDELIJK/24STEDELIJK-articleLarge-v2.jpg

http://www.asergeev.com/pictures/archives/2011/927/jpeg/12.jpg

Nov 15, 13 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Suri, you are only defending your own ignorant perspective on architecture but more to the point, what evidence do you have that the "public" had no part in those projects? Moreover, are you suggesting that you should be involved in every building regardless of location just in case they are ever blessed with your visit?

Nov 15, 13 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

I'll bet you don't get to 1000 posts.

Nov 15, 13 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
proto

nike stopped donating money to the university of oregon for buildings because the design-by-committee process at the university was ruining the resulting buildings despite their well-funded budgets

the committees were made up of very smart people from all departments at the university and typically included students too

yet, good architecture was not the result when the people had their say

Nov 15, 13 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
surixurient

"Suri, you are only defending your own ignorant perspective on architecture but more to the point, what evidence do you have that the "public" had no part in those projects? Moreover, are you suggesting that you should be involved in every building regardless of location just in case they are ever blessed with your visit?"

No, i'm just suggesting a reason why the public doesn't like what architects propose.  That reason being, it's often weird and tacky.

Nov 15, 13 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
( o Y o )

To get back on topic, examples of what gets built when the public is not involved in the design process.

More to the point: What gets built when the public IS involved in the design process?

Nov 15, 13 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
surixurient

http://hugelolcdn.com/i700/151046.jpg

totally badass stuff

Nov 15, 13 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
( o Y o )

The detail you present - a Vader grotesque - is a modern adornment to a traditionally designed building. The building was designed by George Frederick Bodley in the early 1900's, NOT by the public. The grotesque, a detailed adornment that is not visible from the ground without binoculars, was the result of a sculpture competition for children.

Are you saying that modern adornment of traditional buildings is good architecture or that children should design buildings?

Please provide examples of architecture that is the result of public participation in the design process.

Nov 15, 13 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
boy in a well

was this supposed to be an example of weird and tacky:

http://hugelolcdn.com/i700/151046.jpg

?

I think the shark has jumped this thread.

Nov 15, 13 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
( o Y o )

If the intent is a serious discussion, answer the question.

Sinon, surixurient est un guenon.

Nov 15, 13 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i don't know what you guys are talking about, but darth vader on a building is awesome.  it's not strictly classical, but that's only because they didn't know who darth vader was in 700bc.

Nov 15, 13 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
I will now be putting Darth Vadar heads on all my buildings because an Internet troll has finally told me that's what all my customers want.
Nov 16, 13 9:21 am  · 
 · 

^ Whether they know it or not.

Nov 16, 13 10:57 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

"Camel is a horse designed by committee."

Nov 16, 13 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
observant

surixurient est un guenon.

Qu'est-ce que c'est un guenon?  Voila.  Je l'ai trouve'.  C'est dure!

Peut-etre d'un autre mondre, et ennuyeux aussi.

Nov 16, 13 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
( o Y o )

Guenon est argot pour troll.

Nov 16, 13 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Sorry- i have a pet peve about calling clients customers... Too retailish for me...

Nov 16, 13 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Whatever, I'm an architecture ho-bag and they pay me.
Nov 16, 13 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
surixurient

You people need to relax, it was an attempt at humor, which clearly missed its mark.

And yes curt, I agree that if they knew about darth vadar in 700bc we would be seeing him on all the buildings of history.

Nov 18, 13 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
( o Y o )

surixurient, I will try one more time.

What gets built when the public IS involved in the design process?

Nov 18, 13 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
surixurient

When the public is involved in a project, usually nothing gets built at all, and an old unused (and beloved) building is instead restored and re-purposed.  (unfortunately this is often the most attractive option to the public)

Nov 18, 13 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Suri, I have completed many projects with direct public involvement and it does not work the way you claim it does. Stick to building little obscure hexagonal game pieces.

Nov 18, 13 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
surixurient

It does in my town, and I suspect your 'direct public involvement' was anything but.  "lets see, repurpose the beautiful unused firestation for a fraction of the cost or levee a new tax to raise  some hideous offense to the landscape, wonder which we will choose?"

Nov 18, 13 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
surixurient

You can gauge public response to public building projects from letters to the editor. when a new construction is announced the paper is flooded with outrage, when a building is repurposed there is silence (consent).  And the building being re-purposed often comes after some new construction was canceled on account of the outrage.

Nov 18, 13 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Do you enjoy creating imaginary narratives to support your opinion?

Nov 18, 13 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

When the public is involved in a project, usually nothing gets built at all, and an old unused (and beloved) building is instead restored and re-purposed.  (unfortunately this is often the most attractive option to the public)

you're confusing architects with developers. 

Many of us in this field (even the ones who are doing very contemporary work) are involved in repurposing existing buildings and care deeply about preserving walkable and human-scaled built environments.  We also spend a lot of time trying to convince clients to save great buildings (if they are in good shape) before the public even sees what is proposed.  It's a huge risk, though - sometimes the client will be on board - but often they'll just keep shopping around until they find an architect who will do whatever they want.  If a client wants to demolish a well-loved building and put up a monument to their ego, then they'll have to face the public.   Developers do not need architects to demolish buildings.

Nov 18, 13 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

first, what is "your" town and second, it remains apparent you know very little of how building projects function. One of my current project, for example, has had continuous public input in all of it's design phases (it's a 3-billion dollar deal, so it takes a few years and phases) complete with open-houses and Q&As which I've personally stood in front of the public and answered questions/concerns.

Another project had an volunteer public body tasked with the aesthetic design review and specifically stated that they did not want a building to match the historical downtown where it is situated. So, you're general position is not only ignorant of the architecture world but it is also not a universal thing.

Perhaps someone should petition your local village's school to up it's curriculum to at least last century's standards because, sheshh, things are not looking to well for you if this is the best you've got.

Nov 18, 13 2:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: