Archinect
anchor

Masters in Architecture

Faraz J

Hey readers,

This is my first post here so I hope that I have posted it in the correct category. 

I have recently completed a Bachelors in Business and Commerce and I found myself really questioning what I'd like to do that would enable me to make the best use of my abilities. After realising that the corporate environment would not fulfill me and would leave me quite miserable. 

Anyway I have decided to pursue design as a career and I am attempting to get into a three years Masters of Architecture program at the University of Melbourne. From my perspective, Architecture would develop my design problem solving, improve my spatial thinking and enable me to really branch out into the other design disciplines such as industrial design, furniture design, interior design, landscape design, urban design and urban planning etc.

AT this point I am unsure exactly where I would like to specilise in. However, I know myself well enough to say that I would either want to work as a freelance or have my own (multi-disciplinary) studio at some point. I think my business background will come in handy there.

So I wanted to know whether I was on the right track? Am I envisioning things correctly or is this reality very unlikely and purely my fictional. 

Faraz 

Nov 13, 13 9:06 am
HailFarm

Totally possible, go for it. I think your business background will be an excellent asset for you once you get into the professional world.

That being said, you probably have a lot of catching up to do. In a masters program you'll be in a community with people who have been studying these things for years. You'll need to probably take some prep courses or workshops to get your basic skillset up to speed... drawing, model making, communication methods and a basic set of computer skills. You'll need to obtain a basic understanding of architecture history. You'll get a lot of this in the beginning of the program but to get the most out of it you should start sooner. 

Its a lot of work but if you feel confident that this is the pathway for you, go in with an open mind and be ready to hustle.

Nov 13, 13 11:14 am  · 
 · 
Faraz J

Hailform, I am so happy to read this.

I've been working on my drawing since the start of the year and currently taking a 12 week intense art camp. In terms of model making, is it all digital now? if so then I guess that would be something I would need to learn. What do you mean by communication methods? 

I must take two prerequisite units before I am given the permission to apply for the masters program, one is modern architectural history and the other is an architecture design studio.

Nov 17, 13 3:01 am  · 
 · 
observant

Hi Faraz:

Welcome and, while you are being diplomatic, I wondered the first week what I was doing enrolled in business and commerce, which I finished.  And I kept wondering the whole time I was enrolled.

At any rate, academically, the only class that will be easier is professional practice.  Everything else will be brand new.  However, your discipline and problem solving skills will help you.  All commerce grads I've seen in M.Arch., and who are committed to design, tend to do well, for some reason.  Unfortunately, some schools in the U.S. in averse to this background, feeling that fine arts and the liberal arts and sciences are better preparation, so they are not as likely to admit commerce types.  Those with construction and/or joint MBA programs are more likely to do so .... again, in the U.S.

In the work world, its usefulness will not kick in during the first five years or so all that much.  It will kick in after that, because you can more holistically relate to client needs and concerns, know that contractors are bottom line oriented, can keep up with their volleys, and not be bowled over, and understand the aspects of project management from the firm's standpoint.  Remember, that you will still be an architect, and that your past only comprises about 15% of your future job content.

Your prerequisites are interesting but, if offered for prospective applicants, then you need to take them.  Here, the prerequisites tend to be calculus, physics, and/or a few courses in studio art.  Another thing, I think the M.Arch. endeavor is always a little more doable when a person strongly considered architecture before the choice of another university major.

Hope that helps!

Nov 17, 13 9:52 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

hi Faraz;

"From my perspective, Architecture would develop my design problem solving, improve my spatial thinking and enable me to really branch out into the other design disciplines such as industrial design, furniture design, interior design, landscape design, urban design and urban planning etc."

There are other design course degrees that specialize in Industrial Design so be secure about your choice of degree. An architecture course will not - or very rarely- digress into industrial design. Expect to take a lot o a substantial number of 'non-spatial' courses that focus on technical construction, structural and environmental aspects. Typically, people don't start with architecture if they don't want to end up designing and working on buildings. 

Nov 17, 13 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
Faraz J

Its good to read some different perspectives. 

observant, the was that for the first two years I was quite content with my choice of a degree and could vividly imagine myself playing the part, I majored in Human Resources and Management. AT that time money was my only focus. However, I underwent a drastic change and I really began understanding myself and what I wanted out of life and began the search AND it was too late to drop it. Thought I might as well finish while I am searching. 

Anyway, I guess I'll be making daily visits to Khan academy for the next year or so and I never took physics at school but I have a intuitive understanding of the laws of universe :D

t a m m u z, I don't specifically see myself in Industrial design. My logic was that there is a higher likelihood of an architect designing a product than vise versa. From what I can see there is no other design discipline which contains as much fundamental content that is universally applicable, furthermore, it is by far the most practical seeing as though the population is drastically rising and building living and work spaces as we do is no longer a possibility. It is the perfect balance between art and science with a dash of social science. Which allows the philosophical mind to explore and hope to create for a better future. Truthfully I don't want to be stuck designing buildings all my life, no matter how tall and or aesthetically satisfying they may be. I'm thinking alternative housing, floating cities and organic structures. 

Nov 18, 13 3:17 am  · 
 · 
Faraz J

"Truthfully I don't want to be stuck designing buildings all my life, no matter how tall and or aesthetically satisfying they may be"

That came off really pretentious and disrespectful to those in Architecture that actually want and do Architecture as is. Was not my intention. 

Nov 18, 13 3:48 am  · 
 · 

Hi Faraz,

I am in similar position as you are in right now. I completed my bachelors in Commerce 2 years ago and now i am applying for Masters in Architecture in the US. 

Since everything has been evolved from Art, I recently took an art class where i learned pencil drawings, charcoal drawings and oil paintings. It has been life changing! The creative process in Architecture and design go hand in hand with the creative process while doing art. I highly recommend you take up an art class. 

btw, did you get admission in University of Melbourne? 

Nov 27, 14 1:36 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: