Archinect
anchor

Non-Traditional Careers

As someone who has been recently laid off, I have been reevaluating "what I want to do when I grow up" and how I want to get there.

I could use some advice from this board. What kind of alternate careers does 4 yeas of architectural office experience with some graphic/web design and IT work allow you to be considered qualified for?

I could easily apply for a entry level graphic design or IT job, but I don't want to have to take a HUGE pay cut, especially if I am qualified for a higher level position.

Help??

Feb 25, 09 3:23 pm

1 Featured Comment

All 23 Comments

Have you looked at our ongoing "Working out of the Box" series of features? They profile individuals who have studied and/or practiced architecture, but then moved onto other types of work.

You can browse them in our Features section

Feb 25, 09 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

my advice is to figure out what you are truly interested in and find a way to do that - even if it means working at an unrelated day-job just to pay the bills for a while.

Feb 26, 09 10:34 am  · 
 · 
trace™

I was in your identical situation, years ago. Do you know 3D well? If you build a good portfolio, it is not unreasonable to think that you could be paid more than architecture (most of the reason why I left in the first place, or chose not to look for more arch work after being booted).

Use this time off as an opportunity to #1 improve portfolio and #2 improve technical skills.

Think of this as a chance to explore other possibilities. For me, it took a lot of patience, struggles, taking a bunch of extra classes, etc. But now I have a business I am proud of and am making my own rules.

Feb 26, 09 10:51 am  · 
 · 
On the fence

Code consultant.
Product rep
Cabinetry sales
Inspector for a village
Freelance inspector.
Project manager in many firms outside of architecture.

Feb 26, 09 10:57 am  · 
 · 
asd

hey trace what's the scope of your business that you started? do you have a website that we could see? i'm lucky enough to still have a job, but i like to be proactive, especially in times like these. so basically i would like to start off with some freelance 3d work. i think i've been happiest doing 3d stuff while interning, and if i were to be on my own that's what i'd most likely turn to. thanks.

Feb 26, 09 1:16 pm  · 
 · 

trace, the biggest problem I have building a portfolio of 3-D work is finding open source software for the mac that I can use, beyond sketchup and blender.

I have a trial of a few different programs (which i can run in parrallels or boot camp), but have been hesitant to start a ticking clock of 30 days when i might need them for freelance work.

Feb 26, 09 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
Charisma124

I just graduated from Cornell B.Arch. , but I feel my priorities were so skewed during school... My new alternate career is sustainability engineering.

It's sad to need to change, but suddenly, there were other things I wanted to do besides architecture--and the work just gets that death-grip on you...after a year of work in China, I already feel burned out.

PS. to go from B.Arch degree to anything new is a biznitch, but I found a forgiving course...

Feb 27, 09 9:14 am  · 
 · 
med.

When shit hits the fan, I'm going to aggressively pursue a job I have absolutely no qualifications, education, or experience in. And I'm pretty confident that I'll get it.

If the system is going to screw us over, I say we should pay it back ten-fold. I don't even care who it's going to screw-over. Remember this is something THEY created not us.

Someone from the 'layoff' thread mentioned that architecture IS a business -- well it IS -- there's no denying that. But life IS life and we have to live and that requires making money.

Feb 27, 09 10:06 am  · 
 · 
ARCHCareersGuide.com

Here is a list I have compiled over the years.

The Careers of an Architect
Traditional Firm
Principal
Project Architect
Staff Architect
Senior Designer
Junior Designer
Draftsperson
Intern
Model maker

Other Employment Settings
Architectural Illustrator
Corporate Architect
Facilities Architect
Public Architect
University Architect

Architectural Education
Professor
Architectural Historian
Academic Dean / Administrator
Researcher

Art and Design
Architectural photographer
Art / Creative Director
Artist
Clothing designer
Exhibit Designer
Filmmaker
Furniture Designer
Graphic Artist/Designer
Industrial / Product Designer
Interior designer
Landscape architect
Lighting Designer
Museum Curator
Set designer
Toy Designer
Web Designer

Science and Technical
Building Pathologist
Cartographer
Civil Engineer
Computer System Analyst
Construction / Building Inspector
Illuminating Engineer
Marine Architect
Structural Engineer

Construction
Carpenter
Construction Manager
Construction Software Designer
Contractor
Estimator
Fire Protection Designer
Land Surveyor
Project Manager
Real Estate Developer

Related Professional
Architectural Critic
City Manager
Environmental Planner
Golf Course Architect
Lawyer
Preservationist
Product Manufacturer Representative
Property Assessor
Public Official
Real Estate Agent
Urban Planner
Writer

Mar 9, 09 6:03 am  · 
 · 
trace™

For the software problem I hear ya, we get ripped off blindly by Autodesk (although I don't update each year, just not worth it anymore). I would find some *cough* alternative methods of getting copies. Just a suggestion, I don't like *cough* software and don't use it, but at 3500+ a pop, plus VRay, plus Adobe's Creative Suite, etc., etc. it adds up quickly beyond what a single person can afford.

I'd also read some business books, they'll help with anything you do. Try a search on here, there were some great suggestions. Rainmaker was one I liked, easy read, etc. Business is 99% common sense, it just takes thinking of everything at one time and implementing the ideas.

The profession of architecture will suffer greatly from this recession. Already the majority of grads either don't go onto get licensed or switch careers altogether. I see the most talented and ambitious leaving first. I see these numbers going through the roof as people lose jobs, find better paying (when things get better, at least) and better work conditions than architecture offers.

Also, there will be much less spec building, so businesses will remain slow for many years.

Thankfully (for me) all this means preconstruction sales, approvals, funding, etc., are all more crucial than ever. The 3D markets will continue to grow as the standard becomes more and more elaborate presentations (I've seen things go from a few renderings to full ad/marketing campaigns in the last few years).

Look through the section Paul is suggesting, there are many examples that have specialized in certain areas, such as KDLAB and Tronic. There are markets, just get really good at something and don't give up, keep working on finding those cracks you can wiggle into and establish a business and reputation.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to email me off of here and I'll try to give you suggestions, links, etc.

Mar 9, 09 9:21 am  · 
 · 
GAWD

Did someone say 'Non-traditional'?

To rip from an '80's movement in the ATL:
Architectural Jihad-ist

It's time for another one.

Apr 7, 09 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
G.A.S.

We are hiring persons who have graduated with an architecture degree and are looking to work outside a traditional architectural office.  While in school (B.Arch 2010), I was interested in technological applications within the architectural/built environment.  I was really into the concepts of parametric design/scripting as well as the tools/machines to realize the 3d model as tangible objects. I have helped teach some digital design/fabrication classes in school and really enjoyed the somewhat "think-tank" atmosphere that it created amongst like-minded people who just wanted to create things and figure out how to approach the construction process.  I am now the Design Director of a facade design/fabrication sub-contractor.  It’s a different approach utilizing the skill set that I acquired in school.  If you have interest in digital design/fabrication and want to live in Florida, check out our ad on the "Jobs" page.

Nov 7, 12 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
tscott113

Sorry G.A.S., maybe your company is no longer hiring  but what firm is that? I do not see it listed in jobs. Thanks.

Dec 12, 12 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

Right now im working for a steel construction co. doing estimating, project management, and detailing. I actually do 75% estimating, 15% managing, & 5% detail drafting (shop drawings), 5% other. I didn't see working for a steel construction co. in the career path, but like someone said in a previous post, baby needs a new pair of shoes, so like everyone else i have to do what i have to do. Some days i fight the temptation of sending out my resume and portfolio to all the firms of the projects i am estimating. the positives are i have a job related to the field, i have learned the importance of putting together a great set of cd's, i am building a list of G.C.'s to work with in the future, i rarely have to work late / be in early, which leaves time to study for my Lic., i have a steady pay check(my wifes favorite) !, because its a construction co., im finishing my last 9months of IDP.

Dec 12, 12 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment

7.25 years later ... I just came across this post.

Since my original post I ended up getting licensed, opening a small side business with a colleague and taking on an "alternative path" position which I held for about 3 years.  During that time, I focused my creative energies towards the side business and ended up additionally pursuing a second side business for a hobby (yarn and fiber dying).  I then left the "alternate path" position to resume traditional practice, and have been at my new office for 4 years.  In that time I've closed the architectural side business to focus on work (while keeping the hobby business) and further developed my skills.

Now, 11 years into my career I am at a similar cross roads.  While still employed, I am having a third-life (or mid-life considering my health and work stress) crisis, as such, and am looking back and ahead and wondering if I want to pursue 30 more years in this field or if enough is enough.  I have started to do research into alternative career paths and how to re-interpret my experience, but I had entirely forgot that this is something I was looking into 7 years ago until it popped up in a Google search.

Have things changed at all in the last 7 years?  Is a MArch or BArch any more convertible?

Love to hear the thoughts of some other people.

Thanks - 

May 23, 16 1:44 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

It depends, it's a loaded questions with each individual being different. IMO it depends on what you want from your life and job/career. If you specify that maybe it'll be easier to help/decide what you want to do.

A lot of my friends and peers are now doing different things and we all graduated our Bach/Masters.

May 23, 16 10:01 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

you said you're already licensed, so at that  point barch/march doesn't matter.

May 23, 16 10:07 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

Have things changed at all in the last 7 years?  Is a MArch or BArch any more convertible?

If by "things" you mean the profession, I assume you are currently(?) working as an architect. Your post is a little unclear.  Job market has improved in the last seven years, but fundamentally the profession remains badly overcrowded in a violently unstable industry.  Legal liability is worse than ever.  The country is getting ripe for another economic downturn.

I am interpreting the second question as asking if an architectural education can be "converted" easily into a non-professional career.  Is that the question?

May 23, 16 10:35 am  · 
 · 

Yes, I'm currently licensed and working in an office as a project manager. 

My question is this, has it gotten any easier to convert your architecture experience and degree to a different field.

All of the suggestions I've been seeing have been about related fields, but if you leave the profession entirely, how do our degrees and experiences translate?

May 23, 16 11:43 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Forget the degrees. They're worthless. How do the services you provide in architecture, qualify you for another career and differentiate you from other candidates. For example, the ability to quickly read plans and your understanding of technical documents could be a huge asset to a contractor who is growing, but perhaps doesn't have someone with that skill set. Your ability to assist in pre-construction work including programming and schematic design could also be very attractive to a contractor. Depending on your experience, facilities management and owners representation could be avenues for career growth/change.

May 23, 16 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

I think it is all in the application method.  If you are just sending in applications and resumes it would be very difficult to get in front of a real person.  If you can get yourself an "introduction" of some sort, so that you are a person and not just another piece of paper, you won't have a problem as most jobs actually only require problem solving ability and and inter-personal skills.  

I found the book "the hidden job market" to be about the best i've ever read.

Back in the depths of the recession I spent many interviews trying to answer the question "how do we know you won't return to architecture when the economy improves?"  Never really had a great answer to that.

Are you sure you want to leave the profession completely?

May 23, 16 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

The farther you move from the building/real estate industry, the less the education will "translate".  Even within the industry, it doesn't open as many doors as you would think.  I don't know why.

May 24, 16 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Found this podcast last night.  Interviewee was a year ahead of me at UDM and became a real estate agent about a year ago.  Apparently he's doing well.  He never got licensed, but the background is still valuable.

https://soundcloud.com/renegadedetroitinvestors/renegade-detroit-investors-ep42-bruno-lanni

May 26, 16 8:45 am  · 
 · 
jesusperezperez(sms)

i am a 14 year old and i really enjoyed what y'all had to say about different professions and the business yall have/had and i would like to work in the architecture business i like planning and designing but i still am not sure what i would fit best in and what awaits for me

Feb 12, 19 8:57 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^start with punctuation. Using two different slang versions of ya'll is also not doing you many favours.

Feb 12, 19 8:59 am  · 
 · 
jesusperezperez(sms)

sorry i guess but i didnt come here to get judged i just want to get advice

Feb 13, 19 8:30 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Using sentences and punctuation is good advice and, when used properly, will allow others to understand your question. This may even lead to a conversation. See how this works? Resurrecting a long dead zombie jesus thread (OG 2009) is not the way. Consider starting your own topic.

Feb 13, 19 8:38 am  · 
 · 
jesusperezperez(sms)

alright well i'll try my best to use correct punctuation

Feb 15, 19 8:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: