Archinect
anchor

Web-hosting

Does anyone have a recommendation of a web-hosting service that they use and are happy with? What about a Domain Registering service?

Since being laid off I'm picking up (or trying to pick up) some graphic/web design freelance work. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Feb 25, 09 3:15 pm
knock
www.aplus.net

used it for my website, decent rates, good customer service as far as I can tell.

Feb 25, 09 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

i use local web-hosting that i can be reached by phone directly without answering services.

Feb 25, 09 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

We use Media Temple because of their large storage and tech support. Got some accounts on GoDaddy, which was stellar, but then we ran into a PHP problem they couldn't resolve.

If you want cheap, I'd recommend GoDaddy.

Feb 25, 09 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

My Yahoo Small Business Web Host costs $9.95/mo and is the most pleasant and efficient application among everything I use on my iMac (which has incidentally just developed its first 3 screen lines at 18 mos. Ugh.). I apparently have unlimited storage capacity. Highly recommended.

I fell for a renewal pitch from a domain registry that I didn't realize wasn't my native one. Read that pitch letter carefully ! After paying $95 for a five-year renewal, I got an e-mail stating that I now have to get the "key" from my present provider. I had no intention of switching. I assume I'll hear from my native registry one of these days, before the May deadline. . .

Would any registry be preferable to another ? How much difference could there be ? Price ?

Feb 25, 09 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

DreamHost.com. Great service and cheap too, only $5.95 a month I think (although I bought a year of hosting for a holiday special of less than $10 for the WHOLE YEAR :o) Also 3 words: carbon neutral hosting. Huzzah!

Feb 25, 09 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I second DreamHost... Cheap, reliable, and their setup process is very easy.

Feb 25, 09 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
grid

i use huevia - best customer service i have ever seen. I have yet to experience down time with them either... dreamhost tends to go down from time to time.

Feb 25, 09 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Glad to hear of the alternatives. I assume we're all using these services to post images. . .

The only failure with Yahoo Small Business is that uploading of a second image (edited, or replaced) with the same name doesn't always replace the image, as it is supposed to. Lesson: be sure the image is as you want it -- or be prepared to rename the replacement.

Feb 25, 09 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
RevisionV

I'm with 1and1 and I wouldn't recommend them at all.

I am thinking of switching to something to something faster and more reliable... Mediatemple is one but seems very overpriced for shared hosting.

Feb 27, 09 2:58 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Yeah, I had problems with client's sites on 1and1. Typical tech support from somewhere else. Fine if you have a common scripted problem, but beyond that they weren't much help.

Feb 27, 09 8:28 am  · 
 · 
24-7tecture

hostmonster

Feb 28, 09 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
switch
www.asmallorange.com

great support
good options for various sized sites
affordable (google for discount coupons)

i'm happy with them, just renewed my contract for another year last month.

Mar 3, 09 4:38 am  · 
 · 
allenmack

Hey!

I've been using Cloudways for three years and seriously happy with their services they are offering Free SSL, free backups, adding team members, SFTP access, unlimited websites and cloning features. And the thing I like about their services... they are using very advanced caching features which is helping me keeping my website well optimized with load time and other minification and other caching issues as well.

And guess what they emailed me a coupon for new signup as well let share it with you hope it works :)

CODE IS: SUMMER16 

With this, you will get 15% discount for three months on any server.

Jun 15, 16 6:07 am  · 
 · 
Emufassa

For domain registration, I suggest Namecheap. Cheap and have live person support. This is great for beginners.

For shared webhosting, Bluehost is my favorite one. For VPS hosting, DigitalOcean is a good one.

Jul 20, 16 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
matt1982

Make sure your host supports HTTS as this can add a fair bit to the service cost.

HTTPS is now important for all sites.

Feb 7, 18 5:18 am  · 
 · 
q2tagzfyni

namecheap for domain registration

github/lab pages for small projects (+netlify for deployment)

digitalocean for vps and managing multiple projects

Mar 31, 19 7:33 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: