Archinect
anchor

seattle data recovery

holz.box

craptop desktop crapped out w/ faulty HD.

any clue on recovery cost and recs in seattle?

Jan 27, 09 9:07 pm
mdler

holz

there may be some out of work Microsofties that could help you living under the highway overpasses pretty soon...

Jan 27, 09 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
knock out

Hold on, don't go spending tons of money yet. Recovering a drive will cost $1000 or more since they have to find another model of your drive produced within a few weeks of yours (for firmware reasons).

I just lost my Seagate 500gb 7200.11 drive, turns out there is a major problem with this series FYI. Anyway, try some programs with trial versions to help you see if you can recover your data. I used these and recovered all of my data:

Partition Find and Mount
Nucleus Kernel NTFS/FAT

Search Lifehacker too, they have good articles about data recovery.

KO

Jan 27, 09 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
ckmca

holz,

First thing first. If the drive is physically broken then all hope is lost. But if the drive is just corrupt then you can get most everything back.

There is a chance that the partition table is screwed up and all you'll need is to fix that. The data may all still be there. Check out link

If that isn't the case:
I have heard that Getbackdata link works pretty well. It's $10.

Lastly, you may want to take it to the pros:
Someone in my office used
Disk Doctors
1100 Dexter Avenue North, Seattle
(800) 347-5388

Good luck, and post back if you have any luck

Jan 27, 09 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
e

holz,

sorry to hear that. nothing worse. had that happen to me bout five years ago. the it guy i used at the time is now in cali. had a friend lose her drive a few months ago. i can reach out to her if you want. no cost if nothing is recovered. hella expensive if it is. lemme know if you want me to do so.

Jan 27, 09 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

yikes. awesome. the new drive is under warranty. i'll sit on recovery. what a b*tch.

Jan 28, 09 1:31 am  · 
 · 
e

external backup hard drive is your best friend.

Jan 28, 09 11:04 am  · 
 · 

have you seen whether it will connect as an external to another computer? The cases and cables to do this are like $20, so it could be worth a shot. That way if something has only gone wrong with the booting capabilities you can retrieve whatever data was not affected.

Jan 28, 09 11:16 am  · 
 · 
l8rpeace

agreed with rationalist to a point - depending on the damage to the disk, you should be able to read parts of the data (if not repair the bad segments on the drive as an external drive). However, I have seen in some cases where the type and extent of damage to the drive was such that connecting it externally did NOT allow for the computer you are connecting it to...to actually boot. Yes, I got the same blue screen error on the operating computer once I attached the bad drive as an external as I did on the bad drive (natively).

tried to email holz about this in his archinect "hidden email" thing now that I live in Seattle - but that bounced.

Jan 29, 09 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

that's wierd. no BSOD, but definitely a hangup @ mup.sys

it's wierd it bounced. holz_box@yahoo.com

Jan 29, 09 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
e

holz, i've had the same problem emailing you though archinect.

Jan 30, 09 12:38 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

really? some go through. maybe i need to change it? wtf

Jan 30, 09 1:10 am  · 
 · 

l8rpeace- not saying it will work with certainty, just that it's such a cheap option that it's worth a try.

Jan 30, 09 1:40 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

rationalist = genius.

new HD (warranty) - $0
used sata data cable - $5

spending 30 minutes to run chkdsk on bad drive and 80 minutes migrating old files to new drive - f*ckin priceless.

Feb 5, 09 1:23 am  · 
 · 

BOO-yah! maybe that should be my new facebook status...

Feb 6, 09 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
allman80

Maybe send an email to the NSA; they probably have all your data backed up for ya! ;)

If they don't answer, try the CIA or FBI.

Sep 28, 15 10:53 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Hurray for 6-year old threads brought back to life by spam bots.

Sep 28, 15 1:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: