Archinect
anchor

School is just the Start...

Beepbeep

In Architecture why is there the mentality that your school you attend controls your career ( or Actually most think this is true which is false) ? In reality school is only the start, the opening of the door or maybe just the undercut actually of your career, learning, and pursuits in what can be done in this field. In most other professions this is common knowledge and is not really even an afterthought and realistically know one is ever going to care where or went and or ask after a couple years of work and especially if you are producing some quality work. Why is this field so hung up on this? A sate school education can be  great its what they exist for to serve the region. The point is after school for a few years it is when you start to develop, decompress and understand what architecture is, this time is important maybe even more than school, but everyone seems to believe that unless they have the minted M.arch from the same 4 schools they will not become a designer, become a principle, and open their own firm ? I mean didn't Marlon Blackwell "leave the city to build" a place where he could produce the work he wanted ? Can't Architecture exist on the margins and could this make it better?

Oct 23, 13 8:50 pm
DeTwan

Yes we all know that architecture is a retarded field.... your point?

Oct 23, 13 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
Roshi

wait.. what? I thought we retire after school.

Oct 23, 13 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Some see education as the only foundation on which to build a career in architecture, and thus think that they need the strongest foundation possible.

I have worked with some folks who have never completed an architecture degree yet know how to put together a building better than graduates from the top tier schools ever will.

I think it all depends on the general import one places on higher education with regards to their planned future. I also tend to believe that the strict education requirement is doing a disservice to the profession since so many accredited schools produce highly intelligent people who are worthless to the profession.

Oct 24, 13 10:04 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

i figured it was just kids getting out of high school, who were under a lot of pressure and stressed out, making a big deal out of something that isn't as big of a deal as they think.  kind of like the "what laptop do i need" threads.  they all end up in the trash in a few years anyway.

Oct 24, 13 10:37 am  · 
 · 

+++ SneakyPete

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Oct 24, 13 10:50 am  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ
The crowd on archinect is pretty young and that's really all they know. Ask them again in 10 years when they're still paying off student loans and the person who went to the state school already has their home nearly paid off.

I agree, where you attend school does not indicate how far you go in practice.
Oct 24, 13 11:21 am  · 
 · 
MyDream

I agree with you on the part about real learning is in the office. I am starting my architecture education in the spring of 2014 at valencia college, but i am already in an office so i cant wait to see or if they will ever educate me in a way that could be useful to me in an real world capacity.

Oct 24, 13 11:32 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

School will be what you want it to be. If you go in with a goal or an interest you wish to pursue, you will likely find the means to leverage your education to your benefit.

If you go in as an empty vessel, you'll be filled up. Don't complain if you find you've been used as a bed pan.

Oct 24, 13 11:37 am  · 
 · 
gwharton

Your portfolio is way more important than the name of the school on your diploma. This is true in nearly all cases and becomes much, much MORE true on a logarithmic curve after you graduate. Right out of school, where you went might matter a little bit (maybe). A year later, it matters less. Five years later? Nobody cares. Let's see what you've done and can do. That's a pretty steep depreciation curve for all the money you spent on tuition, but that's how it is.

The significant exception being networking among alumni.

Oct 24, 13 8:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: