Archinect
anchor

Good books for learning how to do wall sections

Spidey

Basically I've never done a wall section and I really want to make one for my portfolio. If anyone knows any books/sites or anything that could help me learn how to draw one I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Oct 20, 13 1:12 pm
citizen

Many books by Francis D.K. Ching will be helpful here --and on a lot of other graphics topics, too.

Oct 20, 13 1:38 pm  · 
 · 

Odds are running 5:1 that Spidey is not Spiderman but is an arch school graduate.

Oct 20, 13 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
And...find some docs from an arch firm and study them. Go to a local arch and ask...
Oct 20, 13 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
Given

I would say dont do a wall section for your portfolio if you have never done one in a professional setting. Even if you have the right info you will likely mess something up and it will look "cute but bad" to real architects reviewing it. That said the german "detail" special edition books are good for looking at special case situations. I also like "modern construction envelopes" by andrew watts as a primer for the basic wall types out there, without dealing with specifc products etc. That said, a "good" wall section in my opinion is one that has evolved into a fine product over the life of the project, its hard to get an interesting section from a school project because there is just so much hard information missing. Dont worry about it too much, just be knowledgeable about it so when this stuff comes up in a professional setting you know the lingo.

Oct 22, 13 9:57 am  · 
 · 
gwharton

Frank Ching's stuff is pretty good, if rudimentary. Also, find old hand-drawing-era books about how to do detailing and working drawings. CAD-era books in this same genre are mostly crap.

The best reference of all is this one though (assuming you don't already have a copy as an old textbook): http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-Building-Construction-Materials-Methods/dp/047007468X

Oct 22, 13 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
Token AE

Long story short from my career to date as a mechanical engineer focusing on building envelopes:

Avoid it until you are more experienced. There are too many factors and products at play that are implemented on a case-by-case basis- it's the most complex detailing on most projects, and if you know what you are doing, things that are "wrong" stick out like a proverbial sore thumb.

I think that if you are looking to convey that you are integrating technical concerns into your designs, you will probably get considerably more bang for your buck showing how structural systems integrate with your design. There is a lower learning curve, you will have less of a chance of showing something that is wrong without knowing about it yourself, and it still demonstrates some technical knowhow.

Oct 26, 13 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

they are not hard to do and you will be drafting off of your boss's sketches. I mean really I can draw up as detailed of a wall section as you can get in like thirty minutes. You have no books from school that can help you? There are exactly the same, I drew wall sections by hand in school and now I do them in cadd and there is no difference.

Oct 26, 13 10:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: