Archinect
anchor

san francisco institute of architecture?

arivas208

I am interested in a degree through san francisco institute of architecture through distance learning. I have architectural experience, about 3 years, and a drafting associates degree. I know the school is not accredited yet, dont know if it ever will be. Does anyone know anything about this school? Is this something you would recommend for someone who cannot go to a formal architecture program? Would employers respect a degree from an unaccredited institute? How does this school compare to SCI-ARC and New school of Arch?

Dec 15, 08 5:22 pm
futureboy

ummm.....looks like all the student work is from the late 60s. it says it just a few blocks from me, weird.
as for comparisons to SCI-Arc and Newschool. why don't you look at their websites and see.....it should be pretty obvious.

Dec 15, 08 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I thought their Master's Degree Program was accredited? The school is headed up By Fred Stitt....least I think it still is. He is into organic
architecture and was loosely associated with Bruce Goff when he was the head of the Architecture Department at Oklahoma. I'm not sure if he was actually a student or just one of those guys hanging out at the time because it was the place to be. I believe he did finish his Architecture Degree at the Univerisity of Arizona. I met him years ago when he was on the circuit pushing pin bar drafting. He was into alot of the early computer stuff and general organization of architecture. The last time I saw him was in Chicago when he had just started SFIA. He does pull in from the Brotherhood of Bruce Goff related Architectural individuals. I'm not sure about how his
program works but it would be worth exploring if it is your only option, that is if it is recongized by NCARB. If they are not you are tossing good money after bad unless you want to go get a masters somewhere else. Then you might have put yourself in a good position, as I think anyone who is involved with Fred and his program would be regarded unique in the Architectural Education Circles when it comes to admissions for a masters degree.

Dec 15, 08 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

I am a Newschool Student...So I dont want to talk smack....lets just say If I was you and had to decide between the three schools you mentioned above I would go to Sciarc. In the end its not really the school that makes you its your quality of work and dedication. Yeah its true that schools will help open doors, but if your work sucks ass it will not matter what school you came from or how bad ass your school is considered - you will still suck. I dont know much about the SFIA, but if its not accredited then I probably wouldn't go there..

just my opinion

DFIX

Dec 15, 08 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

After looking at Nick Sowers student blog...I would totally consider UC Berkeley. It seems like a great place to be

Dec 15, 08 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
ublav

Hey guys, do you know actually someone studying in SFIA? I do not have experience with architecture and would like to do the something with Green and/or Eco Design course! and this need to be online since I'm traveling often!!

Thanks

Jul 28, 09 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
alan@linkarchitects.co.za
  • I'm doing a distance learning bachelors degree with them. I have learned an enormous amount from the course, but recently communications haven't been great. I don't know whether it's just that time of year or whether there's a problem but their web-site doesn't seem to have been updated for a while and my course work hasn't been acknowledged for the past month or so - I just hope it's because they are all on holiday. 
Jan 1, 15 12:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: