Archinect
anchor

RAIC Syllabus

Benjamin_

Is anyone taking the syllabus program? If so, what kind of degree did you apply with?

My dilemma: I have a Bachelor of Science in Architecture degree which of course is not accredited. I want to get an accredited degree so that one day I can become an architect. I am debating whether to take a year or two off work (trying hard to avoid) and taking the syllabus program. I have no way of knowing how much school I have left to complete in the syllabus program until I apply ($500 later).

So in a nutshell, has anyone applied to the Syllabus program with an architecture degree?

Thanks!

Dec 9, 08 2:15 pm
innes

my understanding is that the RAIC syllabus is being phased out, or at least re-structured. some provincial associations (AAA for sure) have stopped accepting new syllabus students. The program's future is uncertain and I would not recommend this route to becoming an architect. It will take something like 10 years to complete. I can't see any advantages to the program at all - it'll take you longer than spending 5 or 6 years getting your architecture degree and then doing the internship.

Dec 9, 08 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
Benjamin_

Thanks innes,

The syllabus program is actually partnering (not for another year or two) with Athabasca University, hence why it is a little confusing at this time.

I understand what you are saying though. I am looking at U of T and Ryerson as well. I just started working full time and I wanted to keep that up.

Dec 9, 08 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
innes

no problem - i know 6 years or whatever to get your MArch seems like a long time, but in the end you'll regret not doing it if you choose syllabus, and your range of options down the road will be much wider.

Dec 9, 08 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
fizashaikh

Hi @Benjamin_

Did you enrol in the RAIC syllabus? They are now partnered with Athabasca U and I'm super interested in enrolling.. 

Aug 8, 14 12:45 am  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

I just received my acceptance letter into the RAIC Syllabus program.  I do not have a university degree, but do have a college diploma and 16 years of experience.  Just waiting on a decision on my advance standing application. 

Jan 23, 17 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
420g

do yourself a favour and stay away from RAIC Syllabus, I did it for 1 year, you are better off trying a real university.

it has the highest drop-out rate out of any academic program in canada, not because its hard or takes a long time, but because they don't have profs but mentors who are utter jerks and are accountable to nobody.

RAIC Syllabus does not have an ombudsman where students can take a complaint to.

Feb 16, 17 3:22 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
^very few mentors are jerks. It is true That syllabus is a strange learning path and double so when considering that only independent an business minded students succeed, I do however know a few people who've moved on to very successful careers.

Having said this, it is no match for the traditional 4+2 year BAS & M.arch. Not to mention the lost income from working as a syllabus student vs a graduate.
Feb 16, 17 7:52 am  · 
 · 
WhollyC

So it's that bad eh? I was considering do it. I have been in the profession for 6 years as a Technologist. Have an Hons. BA and diploma in architectural technology. I can't imagine taking two years off of life to complete a masters. Was hoping that there was another route to becoming an architect :(

Feb 28, 17 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

The program has partnered with Athabasca University.  Things have improved is my understanding.  I am curious as to when 420g was enrolled in the program.  I have several colleagues who have graduated from the program and are doing very well now.  You can apply for advanced standing, as I did, and have some credits granted upon enrollment.  

Feb 28, 17 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
The syllabus is the only other way.
Feb 28, 17 1:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: