Archinect
anchor

SIDE JOBS and MAKING MONEY

G4tor

As we all know, architecture is not the most glamorous position. Long hours and unpaid overtime makes those who are starting out even more strapped for cash. 

That said, I was wondering if anybody took a side job to get a little bit more income. Is it even feasible with the long hours?

Thanks

Oct 3, 13 3:11 pm
Non Sequitur

Long hours and unpaid OT? I've never understood why the working world is viewed this way.

Short 35hr weeks: check

Paid OT: double check

time between graduation and employment: 2 weeks, triple check (2009)

Regardless, check with your local licensing organization and your employer before moonlighting. Depending on how you bill yourself, they may not take kindly to working outside of certificate of practice or your office. 

But, if by side job you mean flipping burgers, then sure knock yourself out... or, find a better office to work in.

Oct 3, 13 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

Depends on the office and what a second job would be - doing design may be frowned upon (esp if you're using the firms' equipment/reputation/liability).  Selling artwork, or just taking on a retail/restaurant job on the side if you have reliable evening/weekend availability is not a bad option in school or at work.  Keep in mind that even 35~40hr offices will occasionally have deadline crunches when the second job is going to have to take a backseat. 

Oct 3, 13 4:42 pm  · 
 · 

I've done them in the past, never again....not worth the stress, time, etc....I could never put the amount of time, energy or interest in the side gig, after a full day or week of the day job. Too many other important things suffer.

Oct 3, 13 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Get a Job as a Bartender.....but be sure to take  not for credit at Harvard Night School......It will get you into any Bar in town.

Oct 3, 13 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I get the feeling you're not licensed, but regardless, you should check with your local licensing board. Where I am, if you're licensed and do a side job in architecture, you have to put your stamp on your drawings - even if the drawings don't require a licensed architect!

I recently started a non-architecture side job, about 6 to 10 hours a week including travel time. It isn't easy by any stretch, as those extra hours typically end up tacked on after work. 12 hour days are rarely enjoyable.

having said that, I do like both jobs, so that helps. Now excuse me, I've got work to do (for real).

Oct 3, 13 7:41 pm  · 
 · 

It's certainly possible.

I'm typically working on 2-3 side (architecture) projects at any given time on top of my full-time job. For me, it all comes down to time management, knowing how I work, and developing a work flow to optimize my output. The money has been great, and the time commitment does get intense at time, but at least I'm working on my own terms. If I get  sense that a certain job is going to be a nightmare I just say no. Side work can be great if you manage it well and keep your expectations realistic.

Oct 4, 13 11:43 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: