Archinect
anchor

groomsmen gift

crush

Hi All,

I am getting married in at the end of December and am looking for gifts for my groomsmen. I come to you, archinect, for ideas regarding this problem. I would like to get my guys something nice, not too expensive and not of the ordinary variety. Absolutely no cufflinks, personalized pub signs, shot glasses or similar items. I have checked the MOMA store and some other online design shops and haven't come up with anything. I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for... its one of those know it when you see it kind of situations.

Any Ideas?

Nov 18, 08 4:59 pm
crush

sorry for the typo; please exclude 'in' from the first sentence. thanks

Nov 18, 08 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
cmu268

i was in my friend's wedding party a couple years ago, and he got us these pilsner glass sets. They're kind of the ordinary variety, so it probably doesn't help. But these glasses used a slightly tinted glass and there was a design in the base of the glass.

Thats always a tough choice though, I agree with you, it's kind of a see it and know it situation.

Nov 18, 08 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
cln1

I got my guys power tools...
Who doesnt need a good quality reciprocating saw?

Nov 18, 08 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
cmu268

thats a great idea! i would have loved a good palm nailer instead of glasses! hah

Nov 18, 08 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
Rchitekt

I got married in May, and I got my groomsmen these pretty cool wine openers (I know it's kinda cliche, but this one is pretty sweet) designed by luciano lorenzatti. Here's a link I got them monogrammed, and thought they ended up looking really cool.
Another option that a friend of mine did, which I thought would have been really great if I had the time, was to use one of those home brew kits for beer. Basically, they brewed and bottled their own beer (there are kits for this), and then since they were architects, and graphically inclined, they designed the label to be a part of the wedding occassion. You could pair this with some type of glasses too, if you wanted to go the extra mile. Anyway, just a few thoughts.

Nov 18, 08 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
wrecking ball

mini (or reg) leathermans

Nov 18, 08 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

My brother kept saying he would get me "a little something extra" than the other groomsmen in his wedding, since we're bro's. "You'll be getting a little something extra," he said, for months.

The something extra: a dollar. Har-de-har-har. Thirty-one years later, it still cracks him up.

Nov 18, 08 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

I got my groomsmen mini leathermans.

http://www.leatherman.com/multi-tools/default.aspx

I think it's a good gift... something most guys would like to have, will keep, but probably wouldn't buy for themslves...

Nov 18, 08 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

naked pictures of your wife to be

Nov 19, 08 12:30 am  · 
 · 
mdler

$149 may be a bit steep???

Nov 19, 08 12:34 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

mdler, chances are the groomsmen already have those, naked pictures...ba-da-bum.

Nov 19, 08 1:10 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

beer glasses sound nice...for something special, how about an adolf loos design?

Nov 19, 08 8:48 am  · 
 · 
T D

Moss sucks. seriously. $1200 for 6 crappy beer glasses?

Nov 19, 08 9:31 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Wow, Puddles, those are gorgeous.

And at only $193 per glass, they're an absolute steal!

Nov 19, 08 9:33 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

yes, they make even budweiser taste better

funny too how when you describe them as $200 per glass then the price seems much more reasonable. a wedding is an important moment, do you want an item of value that will last a lifetime? or would you prefer the usual pricey (for it's value) consumerist schlock available at crate&barrel? most of us as architects try to sell the idea of quality material & design in our work...but do we spend our money accordingly?

i suppose if you wanted to be cheap, you could split the set between six groomsmen for example.

Nov 19, 08 9:46 am  · 
 · 
mdler

southpaw

where do you live and what is the price??? are groomsmen from the area or from all over???

Nov 19, 08 10:15 am  · 
 · 
bravo_on_trace

Detail thing... but I was in a wedding that ran into this problem: if they are flying in don't get them a pocketknife/sharptool - then they'll have to check their bags or mail it.

Nov 19, 08 10:32 am  · 
 · 
bravo_on_trace

Detail thing... but I was in a wedding that ran into this problem: if they are flying in don't get them a pocketknife/sharptool - then they'll have to check their bags or mail it.

Nov 19, 08 10:32 am  · 
 · 
n_

mdler - i have that exact same tivoli radio. it's right in front on my playing my morning feed of NPR.

Nov 19, 08 11:12 am  · 
 · 
crush

thanks for the help so far. I like the leatherman idea although it is still in the realm of the cliche. The wine opener is also pretty cool. I am starting to think that an initial gift followed by a framed photo of us on the wedding day may be the way to go. What are some other good modern goods online shops?

Further thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Mdler: I live near Detroit. The budget is around $50 for each of the 8 groomsmen (yes, i know what you are thinking and trust me, i agree- it all got a little out of control). None of the groomsmen, aside from my two brothers, currently live in Michigan.

Nov 19, 08 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

bullet proof vests or GM stock

Nov 19, 08 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

My husband got headlamps for his groomsmen. I'm sure there is a better word for them, but they are those lamps with elastic bands to go on your head for camping, detailed work, etc. They were a hit. Similar to the power tool suggestion above.

Nov 20, 08 8:33 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

My husband got headlamps for his groomsmen. I'm sure there is a better word for them, but they are those lamps with elastic bands to go on your head for camping, detailed work, etc. They were a hit. Similar to the power tool suggestion above.

Nov 20, 08 8:33 am  · 
 · 
crush

i assume the headlamps were a highlight during the reception dance party

Nov 20, 08 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Davy lamps, is the proper term for them i do believe

Nov 20, 08 5:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: