Archinect
anchor

CAD file of the world

Sep 25 '13 12 Last Comment
gruen
Sep 25, 13 8:51 am

Does anyone have a CAD file of the entire world, showing all the cities and all the building footprints? Ideally 3-D with all the buildings fully detailed and scale figures of all the real people and animals? Make sure that all cities towns and villages are fully detailed? I need it today because my thesis advisor is about to fail me and I'm not sure if I should go to sci arc or UT Austin anyways, do you guys think I will be able to get a job with $150,000 in student loan debt? My grades aren't very good but I think I saw a portfolio once so if I took the GRE will I get in? Please the CAD file must be in micro station v 26:6dh,6 format ONLY and not too big my email account is already maxed out with funny cat videos. Do you think I should take REVIT or LEED classes? Which one do employers think is more important?

Donna SinkDonna Sink
Sep 25, 13 9:30 am

You can't have everything.  Where would you put it?

Quondam
Sep 25, 13 9:33 am

My CAD file of the world even includes all the clouds that float by overhead--it's a simple script that came to me one day in the shower (boy that Tigerman chapter in Irony or, the Self-Critical Opacity of Postmodern Architecture is weird [my database also has all the prehistoric cave paintings, even the ones not yet discovered*] it's like "How to make yourself important when you probably really aren't") because it's important to take showers.

*don't ask--that includes the price[less]

Here's the section of a house I'm designing...

...for the land I bought in Greenland 20 years ago.

Quondam
Sep 25, 13 9:39 am

I usually put all the really big CAD files in my computer's black hole folder.

Roshi
Sep 25, 13 9:44 am

As much of a joke that this is, it makes me wonder - is there a way to extract 3D info from Google Earth? Because, well, that would be awesome.

xtbl
Sep 25, 13 12:34 pm

Jorge Luis Borges should be able to help you out.

ark1t3kt
Sep 25, 13 1:54 pm

This sums up 99% of posts on this forum...

Donna SinkDonna Sink
Sep 25, 13 1:57 pm

I actually *do* have a CAD file of the whole world.  But I can only get it to print at full scale. 

curtkram
Sep 25, 13 2:55 pm

does it work with makerbot donna?  i bet you could 3d-print the world over the existing world.

Miles JaffeMiles Jaffe
Sep 25, 13 4:30 pm

I have one of the entire known universe. The problem is finding anything in it ... you keep zooming forever and it takes a really long time to refresh.

Donna SinkDonna Sink
Sep 25, 13 11:23 pm

Yeah, so when I print a 24x36 sheet that's what I get - a blank 24x36 sheet.  Very accurate.

Miles when I tried doing "zoom extents" on your drawing it just kept going infinitely.  I'm still waiting, but according to the new top quark calculations I should only have to wait about 10 billion more years.

LITS4FormZ
Sep 25, 13 11:41 pm

What type of laptop should I get to open this file? I've heard that Macs are the best for architecture, especially autocad.

Thanks in Advance!

Miles JaffeMiles Jaffe
Sep 26, 13 12:07 am

Here's mine:

• ×Search in:

Please wait... loading
Please wait... loading