Archinect
anchor

A-Frame Seismic Safety

jshrager

I'm trying to find information regarding the seismic safety/stability of A-Frame homes (or buildings more generally). Unfortunately, the phrase "a frame" finds pretty much everything there is to find regarding every sort of building design and engineering, so I'm having little success in finding any information specific to A-Frames. Can anyone provide either information, or pointers, or meta-pointers on this topic?

Thanks!

Sep 23, 13 5:07 pm
gruen
Well, it's a big roof. So, you might start with reading the residential code and its prescriptive requirements for building design. I also am understanding that you might be a student? This might be a good time to go to the library and get books on structural design, and stop searching the Internet.

Buildings, regardless of shape, must be designed to take gravity loads and lateral loads. The lateral loads include wind and seismic. So, research lateral load design.
Sep 24, 13 9:24 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Useful concepts about buildings you probably won't hear about in arch school: roof diaphragms and shear walls.

Sep 24, 13 9:36 am  · 
 · 

I'd like to reiterate the idea that new Archinect "members" be required to have ten posts BEFORE being able to post a new topic.

This would help eliminate the kind of nonsense that this thread is an example of.

Sep 24, 13 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
boy in a well

I agree. And what shall be our policy for pruning the old Archinect "members"?

Sep 24, 13 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
A-frames are not more inherently stable than other building shapes. Some building shapes may be structurally more efficient, but that's a different question.
Sep 24, 13 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

shake rattle and roll....

Sep 24, 13 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
jshrager

Wait, but how would the ten post rule prune off-topic meta posts made by arrogant assholes who, instead of ignoring or adding to the discussion, try to kick people off the internet?

Sep 29, 13 9:46 am  · 
 · 

^ A bit hyperbolic, but illustrative of anonymous entitlement. LOL

The point - that you missed entirely - is proposed to keep newbies from posting new topics until they have demonstrated some level of participation in the archinect community and clogging up the forums with what are more often than not requests that would be more approriately satisfied with the application of a little diligence and intelligence. 

Granted, some amusement value would probably be lost, but it's largely sophomoric at best.

FYI That's a meta-pointer.

Sep 29, 13 10:23 am  · 
 · 
In this instance, Miles does not accurately represent the opinion of this Archinect old timer.

This thread is the kind where people might respond with examples of similar building type that would help the OP think more broadly about their question. I don't have any exaes myself, unfortunately.

Try googling "steeply pitched roof seismic" and see what you get.
Sep 29, 13 10:30 am  · 
 · 

Donna - are you running the Google help desk now?

tint nailed it. 

I'm happy to share my experience, but at least demonstrate a bit more effort than "I can't find it on Google". 

Sep 29, 13 10:52 am  · 
 · 
jshrager

Thank you, Donna. That is very helpful. 

Sep 29, 13 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

http://m.architectmagazine.com/building-envelope/detail-paper-tubes-and-shipping-containers-shape-a-new-zealand-church.aspx

take a look at shiguru bans church in New Zealand...specifically the detail of the "ridge frame" on the bottom of page. 

Nov 13, 14 9:47 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: